Cleaned up my sound for $40!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaned up my sound for $40!!

This last week I managed to improve my guitar sound vastly and take 90% of the noise out of my signal. How? I replaced my longest instrument cables with George L's. I bought them because I had heard that there was a difference, and when I got them home and tried them out, I noticed immediately how much better my guitar sound was. And that was at bedroom levels. I A/B'ed them with my old cables, and even my girlfriend could tell right away the difference. For the record before I was using cables in good condition that I picked up from a variety of sources, figuring one was as good as the next.

Re: Cleaned up my sound for $40!!

Great cables huh? His wife gave me a crash course on how to make them and why they are so good.I was set up next to her at the Louisville Ky guitar show and I learned a lot about signal loss and all kinds of technical stuff from her.Nice lady BOY she knows her stuff!!!!!
    I play thru a 5150 2x12 combo and it is an inherently noisy amp constant hiss I thought I was going to have to buy a noise gate but switched to George L's and all the noise and hiss is gone.Quiet as a mouse.Even with a guitar with P90's or a strat w/3 singles take your hands off the strings no hum at all. Life is good

[ October 04, 2003, 11:10 PM: Message edited by: Richard ]
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

One cable's definitely NOT as good as the rest. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] On the other hand, NO cable is worth the kinds of prices some companies ask. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I've heard a lot of good stuff about George L cables and next time I upgrade cables I'm definitely going with them.

Comment

Awesome! I'll definitely have to check 'em out.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I use horizon cables, and for some reason, as nice as they are, I am always repairing them from stepping on them. Is there a place to buy george ls online?

Comment

I believe www.musiciansfriend.com has them

Comment

I've been thinking about trying them myself. Did you get the premade ones or the Do-it-yourself kind?

Comment

get the kit that way you can make them as long or short as you need.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I bought mine at the Mesa store, where they had a spool of each size and a selection of jacks. I bought 30ft of the larger diameter cable and 3 straight and one 90 degree jack and made two 15' cables. When it comes time to wire my rack, I will just jot down the total length I think I will nedd, plus as many jacks as I plan on using, and go in there and buy it right off the spool. They sell spools, but until I get around to wiring other people's rigs, or a recording studio, I will stick to buying the cables by the foot.

Comment

how do they stack up to pro-link (or monster cable) both in signal wise and cost wise (granted they aren't cheep but they are free to replace)
                    ~JW
                    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I recently purchased some DiMarzio cables that seem to be very quiet.

Comment

The George Ls are considerably (extremely) better than the regular monster cable, and not quite as good as the Studio Pro Monster Cables. Almost as good, but not quite. And they, of course, aren't as durable as the monster cable unfortunately.

For the money, they rule the roost.

[ October 08, 2003, 07:01 PM: Message edited by: Cleveland Metal ]

Comment

i'm going to order a whole crapload of these cables.

and since I am...so should everyone else.

"George L, official cable sponsor of the JCF"

sounds nice. I say we hit him up on that.

Comment

I've been considering getting some of those George L's, too...well...when I actually get some money hehe. My rack and pedalboard are full of cheapo guitar cables and *WINCE* Hosa patch cables. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

A while back, I simplified some of the cabling in my setup, and replaced some of the patch cables with some cheapo guitar cables and even just that change made a VERY noticable difference in my sound. Really made me wonder...lawdy...with George L's throughout...hmmm... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Stu

Comment

If you run a lot of gain, the George Ls are VERY noticeable improvements. You won't be sorry as the hum and 60 cycles noise will be tremendously less..

If you play clean, it won't be as obvious.

Comment

Working...
                              X