Dimarzio X2N

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimarzio X2N

I'm currently playing in a death metal band. I'm thinking of changing my bridge pickup(carvin m22sd) to a dimarzio x2n. This sounds like a great pickup for what I need(high output, palm muting, etc.), however sometimes I do cleaner sounding interludes. How well does this pickup sound clean(and distorted) for chords, as opposed to lead work? If I shouldn't go with the x2n, does anyone have better suggestions?

Re: Dimarzio X2N

The X2N is an awesome pickup for what you want, sounds great for chords as well as leads. It sounds awesome clean, too. The X2N has plenty of gain for death metal... Chuck from Death exclusively used that pickup! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I used one for many years with great results in my old Kramer, then put it in my Charvel Model 5A for a little bit. It's currently not in a guitar but will eventually be put back into something. I think it has a little more gain and high end than the Carvin M22SD, though I've never tried it and I'm only familiar with the C22 series pups in both my Carvins.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

i love my x2n great metal pickup, great tone, used exclusively by chuck shuldiner as mentioned above. it's in my ultra v. it's hot enough to slightly overdrive the clean channel on my triple x, but the triple x is a mega gain amp so i doubt it's really the p/u's fault. gives me that ac/dc tone. am seriously considering replacing all my emg's with them.
      1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

On Carvin guitars, it's important to note, that when you change pickups to another brand, your Carvin may require some pickup cavity routing to get the new pickups to fit in there. The Carvin pickups are a bit on the thin side height-wise, and their cavities used to be (I'm not sure if they still do this) routed to take those Carvin size pickups and not necessarily other pickups. The way the routes on my Carvin V were, they were shaped exactly right to seemingly ONLY take Carvin pickups, without a re-route...had to have this done to get my EMG-81s in there. If it needs to be done, expect it to cost around $50 or so per pickup re-routing. Just a word of caution before anyone jumps too far into this to possibly get a nasty surprise.

Stu

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Hopefully any rerouting I have to have done will be worth it. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Awesome pickup. Me like [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] 'em lots!

Comment

It's a great sounding pickup but it has a high output if you use a combo or open back cab it might blow speakers. I'd only use it if I was driveing a close back cab.

Comment

Same here,it's my favorite pu!

Comment

Working...
                X