Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo VS. Marshall JCM200 DSL 401

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo VS. Marshall JCM200 DSL 401

I'm looking for a new tube combo. Actually, this would be my first tube combo, as I've been stuck with the same crappy solid-state for years now. Which of the two in question do you recommend? I was sort of leaning towards the Marshall (I'm a die-hard Marshall guy), but I've been hearing good things about the Mesa, too. I'm aware of all the overheating/reliability problems that come with owning a tube combo, I'm just looking for recommendations.

Anybody have experience with either?

Re: Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo VS. Marshall JCM200 DSL 401

If you haven't spent any "quality" time with the DSL401, I would before you buy it. I had a DSL50 head and bought the DSL401 based on my experience with the head and was DISAPPOINTED. I found it to be a tone-sucking deathbox. But some people do like it. The only way I could tolerate mine was through a closed-back cab. Even then, it only lasted about 2 weeks with me.

I don't really care much for Mesa, but I spent a little time with the F-50 and actually kinda liked it! I'd give them a side-by-side test run if you have a Guitar Center anywhere near you.

Comment

Go with a Mesa. But will need to spend alot of time with it to find your tone.
      www.kiddhavok.com
      www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

I've been hearing about the 401 combo being incredibly low-quality compared to the head. That's shocking to me, because I normally associate Marshall with high quality..... but so far, from everything I've heard, the F-50 is the way to go.

Thanks for your opinions. Anyone else?

Comment

I've been thinking of getting a new amp soon, possibly a Line 6 or Carvin, but now I'm thinking
          I may finally go with my first tube amp. I've had my '92 Valvestate 8240 since it came out, and I still really like it. The older Valvestates kick ass, and mine is still alive and kicking, I just want to try something new. I've been looking into the Mesa F-30 or F-50, but I'm going to have to take a trip to GC or some other local stores to check them out first.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

That's shocking to me, because I normally associate Marshall with high quality.....
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

Marshall...high Quality?? Oxymoron...

They were (past tense) good value for the money... Although still not exactly high quality... Now, they are a joke. And that's pretty sad, as I enjoy a good quality Marshall tone. And wish I could promote and sport their product.

Comment

toejam - For me, there's no question, I absolutely need a tube. When I first started, I just wanted ANY working amp, but I've gotten picky enough that I can recognize the crappy, constipated tone I'm getting from my SS isn't what I'm looking for. I want thick, full-bodied tone and tubes are IT.

cleveland - What do you play?

Comment

Cool. I've seriously been thinking about an F-30 and may go for one of those. That should be loud enough.

Comment

If you're gonna go the Mesa path, really think about looking into the Rocket 44. I played one of these little monsters and it flat out ROCKED. Definitely had a better high gain sound than the F-series, and I didn't even use the contour channel.

I'm assuming the Subway Rocket probably has a similar sound/gain structure, and it's only 20 watts, so I'm guessing that one would be pretty cool too.

Comment

On second thought, I might too.....

Is anyone here willing to play Devil's Advocate and give the Marshall a vote?

Comment

Check out the Boogie DC-5 or DC-3 amps as well. The combos usually go for around 400-600. And you get a 5 band eq, headphone jack, effects loop, reverb, 2 channels and they're loud as hell. They have more of an old school Metallica/Dream Theater type sound to them. They're NOT similar to the Recto in the gain realm...they're just different but still high gain.

Comment

Originally posted by chris_olson:
                        If you're gonna go the Mesa path, really think about looking into the Rocket 44. I played one of these little monsters and it flat out ROCKED. Definitely had a better high gain sound than the F-series, and I didn't even use the contour channel.

I'm assuming the Subway Rocket probably has a similar sound/gain structure, and it's only 20 watts, so I'm guessing that one would be pretty cool too.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I've also thought about the Rocket, Subway or DC series. I'm in no rush right now, so I'll look around and do a little research.

Comment

Working...
                        X