Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Celestion 25's or 30's (which do you like and why)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Celestion 25's or 30's (which do you like and why)

Im waiting [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Celestion 25\'s or 30\'s (which do you like and why)

25s heat up and turn to mush sounding if you push them hard for a few minutes. But IMO sound warmer and more musical at low volumes than the 30s do.

30s take high volumes much much better (they aren't really 30 watt speakers), and are widely appreciated in many cabinets. They are quite a fine speaker. They sound great in the MESA recto cabs for sure.

Comment

i love green and black back 25's in marshalls,
      and i love the vintage 30's in boogies as well.
      you're a smart dude johnny!!!

tommy
      Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

I run v30's in my Bogner 2 x 12 and I love them. They have the right amount of "sponginess" but never get flubby for me.

Comment

I don't know about smart [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] , but I know what I like, haha...

I have an old pair of 1970s Marshall cabs w/black back 25s, and I love that stack. Maybe just cuz one is signed by Jim Marshall inside, not sure, hehe... I think it sounds awesome for low level jamming. Really pleasing. They do sound pretty good when they're really loud using my friends old 67 plexi though. They really have a nice built in distortion (that I can't use with my heavy hitting sound currently) but they get too flubby once they get hot. I don't like him playing that monster through them though, a bit much for them I think.

I currently play live through 75 watt celestion cabs and they work ok. Great tight bass response. I think they suffer in their high end freqs. Seems a brittle and non musical. But, they do take the serious abuse that my old 5150s and my current VHT 2150 give it..

I'm dying to get a pair of MESA Recto cabs though... Can't decide between the 90s and the 30s though...

[ October 07, 2003, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: Cleveland Metal ]

Comment

For tight bass response, John, get the Celestion 90s. For the sake of your back, get the 30s. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Seriously, the cabinet's like ten pounds lighter with the 30s in it.

I actually like the 30s, I think they sound very crisp in the mids. I was never really a fan of the 25s for the tone I like, but if you were going for a more midrange tone with less bottom end - the classic Marshall sound - they're a good choice, as they "mush out" nicely, and fatten up the sound.
            Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

you'll want the 30's man. you'll regret it if you go 90's. they were for the open back section of the old half cabs, as well as the newer open combos and 3/4 backs. so with the recto go 30's. i have the vert/slant 2x12 with 30 and its my favorite cab of all time.
              ~JW
              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

30's! Like the man said, 30's sound a bit brittle at high volumes. However, you can counteract this by mixing up your speakers. I have one of those silver metal grilled Jackson cabs I put a couple of Vintage 30's in, as well as a couple of Eminence (unknown model). The Eminence cover the lows while the 30's take care of the highs. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] It also gives you more choices when recording.

Comment

I love my 25s in my 2 68 cabs . Do you need to play louder than a 100 plexi & two cabs? Concerts or outdoor is the only place I've ever been able to use them without being louder then the rest of the band combined. I use a JMP 50 in clubs they deliver a warm but focus sound that doesn't kill everyone within 50 feet.

Comment

Well, the plexi's were so clean they relied on the breakup of the 25 watters to give them the unique voice they had.

And considering the extreme bass heavy chug of modern amps and music, the 25 watt units are too easily overwhelmed and flub up, and when they get hot, they get worse. A 5150 at volume would destroy a 25 watter short order, I know, I tried.

That said, I certainly love the sound of my 25 watt blackbacks at living room volume or so. Can't use them live though, they flub up and lose definition. Too rough on them anyways...

Comment

John and I are runnin' 75's ...seriously , to have more bottom end would be ridiculous...

With the Uber I actually roll off the low (slightly less than 12 O clock) to tighten up my sound...I don't know how John sets his lows ...but it's a lot...but it's still focused!! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Something in our years of tweakage ...we are able to push the envelope in the correct sub frequecies with hopefully very little flubbage as humanly possible....Flubbage is a very bad word to us ...we our very offended by flubbage ...

that's why I hate these Nu amps that are designed to flub any recto under the table ...

These amp makers have to keep up with the demands and needs of forever evolving musicians...musicians like those godly tone fanatics Korn..

We've tried every celestion under the sun ...except for those newer ones ...whatever those are.. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Anyone try those yet..they're expensive.

What I've concluded (in my screwed up brain) is that the odd and even numbered speakers are in their own groups ....30s , 50s , 70s , 80's , 90's , ..are all voiced in a similiar flat range ...and shifts into the lower frequencies..while increasing the wattage increments. This gives it a more "vocal" tone and a high end roll-off..

The Odds ..25s , 65s , 75s , 85s...emphasizes the upper and lower frenquencies...giving them more of a slightly scooped , chunkier tone ....and sharper bite.

I've learned I always gravitated to the 75s. They're consistant and worked great with most amps that we've tried ...except in my old Recto ....75's made that a flubmonster... and they work "ok" with a 5150 . But the 5150 likes it's Shefields much better..and those shefields are actualy "voiced" after that speaker.

In all the mixing and matching Head/cabs ...we discovered that the Peavey/Mesa need their own factory designed cabs..for their best tone

I know that 80s , 90s love old Marshall 800s...

I also prefer 6l6s over EL34s for the most part...
                      EL34s- all midrange , 6l6s better low end , KT88s will loosen your bowels..

This is what I think anyways..

Anyone else share these thoughts ...probably not. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I don't mind the 75's in my 2x12 cabs, and there is no option of ordering them with any other speaker, though I would like to change at least one cab to two 30's one day when I can.

Comment

What kind of amp?

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I like the 75s with my Marshall and I'm runnin' four Marshall 1960b (straight) cabs. I've tried and a friend of mine has the same Marshall set-up but with four Crate cabs loaded w/V30s ...we both agree that the 75s are by far better suited for these amps..

Comment

you won't be dissapointed. i run a .50 cal through the vert 2x12 with no presence and no matter how loud the rest of the band gets - i can always be heard. even when the other guitarist is using a 100w head and cranking it up way way loud. since i've taken all the noise out im not fighting through the noise to be heard and i never even have to turn up past 3 at 50watts.
                              ~JW
                              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
                              X