Opinions on small EL84 combo amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on small EL84 combo amp

I'm looking for a small, 1x12 combo tube amp. I mostly play at home by myself, but sometimes jam over at my cousin's house with someone on drums, sometimes another guitar player. I want something that's low wattage that breaks up easier at lower volumes like the EL84s, but I also want a nice clean channel. Something that's got two or three channels would be nice, something that's loud enough for a band but good for living room/bedroom levels at times.
    So far, I've got my eye on a Mesa/Boogie F-30 since it's got 2 EL84s with 4 12AX7s. The first channel is clean, the second channel is dirty with a contour boost that cuts the mids and boosts the gain, treble and bass. This sounds like it would be just about perfect for what I'm looking for. I also love the fact that it's got separate reverb controls for each channel that can also be footswitched out, as I like a little reverb on the clean channel, but I use less to no reverb on the lead channel. Anyone have opinions on this amp, or something with similar features? Thanks! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Re: Opinions on small EL84 combo amp

Mesa Studio .22+. Be sure to get the one with a graphic.
    'Nuff Said! (I love using that... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )

Comment

Mesa DC5 has a 5 band eq and reverb. But it runs 6L6 tubes. 2 Channel too. I'm not sure if the DC3 has an eq or not.

Here's some info/pics on the head version, which I'm selling here:

http://home.comcast.net/~cookiejarvis/boogie/dc5.html

Comment

Thanks, guys! I'll look into those as well.

Comment

What Chuck said. Another option is a Budda Superdrive 18 combo... no reverb, but man they are sweet. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

VHT has a new amp out called the pitbull 30. It has el84's and 1 12 speaker with 2 channels and I think an fx loop. Sounds like the perfect little amp.And if you get 1 let me know how it sounds cause I'm tempted to buy 1 [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I've read about the Budda and VHT combos, but they seem a little pricey for me right now. Though, I'd love to have them! [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

I dunno what your price range is but I got my VHT Pittbull Fiftry/Two Twelve for $825 used and its in mint condition. Check out the Pittbull 45 as well. Run an eq thru the loop and BAM! You gots tone!

Comment

I'm trying to keep the price range between $400- $800.

Comment

The mesa DC3 is really nice and they can be had for around 500. It has 2 totally separate channels and a 5 b and eq. Its 35 watts and loud as hell, awesome amp for home, or clubs.
                    Chris
                    http://www.myspace.com/chriswestfallguitar

Comment

I just saw where someone has a dc-3 on ebay for 499 with less than 2 days left and no bids. item #2562946725 and for what its worth from my experience with mesas I'd stay away from one without the eq.
                      Chris
                      http://www.myspace.com/chriswestfallguitar

Comment

he doesn't want the dc-3. he wants either the studio .22 w/ eq or the .50 cal with silver toggles (not the .50cal +) but the el84 version.
                        -or if price is an issue he could look into the peavey classic 30. but i don't know if it would pull off the distortion he's looking for. i have the .50 cal el84 and love it to death. it sounds so sweet and can be so loud if needed.
                        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I like Joe am looking for the same type thing. which of these amps either used or new has the highest gain plus reverb, that`s what I am looking for as I play speed metal and I normally play thru a VHT Pittbull CLX-100? Also at around $500. Thanks-Jack.

Comment

get a peavey classic 30, get the $25 mod from teefus on the HFC, slam the front end with a boost pedal, and perhaps replace the speaker with a g12t75 and you're in business.

Comment

That`s a good idea, now I wish I never sold my old Carvin X-60 combo amp, but I put that money towards my Pittbull, now I nead a light travel tube amp again [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

Working...
                              X