Opinions on small EL84 combo amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Opinions on small EL84 combo amp

I'm definitely looking for more of an EL84 high gain sound that I don't really want to run a pedal into, but I've got a couple of pedals if need be. As far as new amps, the Mesa F-30 and VHT Pitbull 30 look very promising, but I'm in no rush to buy and am also looking for used older stuff in stores and on ebay. Thanks for the suggestions, guys! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ October 13, 2003, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: toejam ]
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yo Toejam...
      I have a Peavey Classic 30 that needs a good home. (if you wanna go the route that Jerry mentioned) Would make ya a sweet deal on it. Not cosmetically perfect, cuz it's been used. If you are interested, e-mail is: skinman933 at yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
        I'm definitely looking for more of an EL84 high gain sound that I don't really want to run a pedal into, but I've got a couple of pedals if need be. As far as new amps, the Mesa F-30 and VHT Pitbull 30 look very promising, but I'm in no rush to buy and am also looking for used older stuff in stores and on ebay. Thanks for the suggestions, guys! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">what amps are you referring to when you say "el84 high gain sound"?

most, if not all, high-gain amps get the gain from the preamp.

in order to get high gain from the power stage you'll have to dime it, and it probably won't sound tight, don't know if that's something you're looking for.

Comment

Well, I was mostly thinking of EL84s because they distort easier at lower volumes than most other power tubes. The thing probably won't be cranked too much around the house but would for jamming with a band.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Just use a tube converter like a Yellowjacket.. you do not even have to rebias.

Comment

Working...
            X