Uberschall questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uberschall questions

Hello all. I just purchased an Uber. I am looking for some settings that you Uber owners use and also I am trying to get some feedback on tubes. My head came with ARS jj/tesla EL34 power amp tubes and ARS chinese preamp tubes. I was thinking of putting in a set of JJ EL34L's and JJ preamp tubes? I don't know if I am a fan of the chinese tubes yet or not. Give me some feedback?

Re: Uberschall questions

I believe "they" have the tube preference of JJ power tubes in the manual (no reason stated, prolly voiced with them in mind), it doesn't state the "L" or not, I'm sure it would be cool. Worth a try.

As for preamps tubes, I've heard it was voiced around the chinese. But, I've lost my taste for the chinese tubes except the old square cheese grater getter styles. I'm sure the JJs would sound nice.

As simple as that amp looks, the controls are VERY interactive. You'll be well served to tweak and tweak. Interesting interaction between the gain control, and the pre and post gain controls. Goes from tighter crunchy old marshallesque, to a more dirty and loose MESA-ish. The tone controls are qiute interactive as well.

I never "really" got "the" sound I was looking for and I played it for almost a year. I kept gravitating back to my CAE3+se and VHT 2150 rig.

But, it is truly one of the coolest, best sounding amps around for more brutal chug and raw tube crunch out of the box. It's what the Recto should have been. I loved the tone from tha tthing when I was listening to someone else play it... haha... Just not when I played it... Weird huh?

Comment

if you ever get the feeling that its not what you wanted. Throw me an e-mail. I only take donations though.

Comment

I've had my Über for about 3 months, and I have to say it's one of the best high-gan amps on the planet. It just kills at the heavy, dark, thick modern metal tones. The amp was indeed voiced around the Chinese 12AX7C9 tubes, which sound pretty darn good to me. Putting in JJ ECC83S preamp tubes, would be a mistake IMHO because this is a dark sounding amp to begin with, and the JJs are a dark sounding preamp tubes, so you would loose some tightness/definition.

The biggest difference on the Über's controls vs other amps is the presence pot, which really functions as a mid cut/boost knob. Turn down the presence and you actually cut the mids (good for an '80s metal tone)...whereas if you turn it up you actually boost the mids and wind up with the more classic Marshall tone. I also like to keep my lead channel volume at 1 O'clock, and control the overall volume with the global MV.

[img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Yes ...I kill my presence ...complete and turn my treble all the way up....also keep the bass down a tad like at 12 O' clock ..

Screw it ..here's my settings..

OK The far left master volume is at 9-10 O 'clock
          >Volume at 12 O' Clock
          >Presence off ....unless you like a lot of upper midrange "honk"
          >Treble ...all the way up ...gives me the perfect amount of edge.
          >Middle.....10 - 11 O' Clock ..
          >Bass ...12 O' Clock ....yeah it could be set higher ...but this sounds the "tightest' to me.

This setting is tried a true and played with an extremely loud drummer.

I wouldn't be screwin' with the tubes...unless they go bad ...I don't think "tubes" is an issue with that amp ...either you like "it's " voice or you don't.

Happy tweakin' ..you'll be tweakin' a lot!!!

But do it with a drummer...otherwise you'll be tweakin' all over again...this is so true .
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Hey everyone thanks for the feeback. In regards to the tubes I just feel that maybe the EL34L's would tighten up the amp more. As far as preamp tubes I might experiment. I appreciate the settings too. This amp is a monster! I actually find the clean channel nice as well after a lot of tweaking. I am buying the Uber cab next week.

Comment

Yeah, the clean channel really has a nice tone IMO.

I'd personally experiment with tubes. I always do haha...

Comment

Hey Tim , got your PM ..thanks!!

Cool that your gettin' the Uber cab ...what's it loaded with !

Right now , I'm playin' thru a Marshall 1960a w / 75 celestions ..

I think it works just fine with the Uber because that speaker has a bit of a scooped tone to them . The Vintage 30s have a more vocal (midrange) tone and a defined bottom and top end roll-off....The Uber has a little too much midrange IMO ...especially when at very loud volume levels.

The 75s has a bit more edge to them than the 30's ..to my ears....also definately more low end than the 30s as well.

Vintage 30s sound great with some amps like Lee Jacksons , Rectos , Laneys , Soldanos , some Marshalls..etc

I think celestion 80s or even 90s are AWESOME but with a Marshall ...those would be overkill with an Uber due to it's already very obese lower mid bottom end. Everyone would feel your playin' ....but nobody would hear a thing!

When your talkin' sub-level ...that's in bass territory ...well you won't need a bass player then I guess. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I never thought I'd say this but there is a thing called "too much low end".. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Even though I would love and try the Uber through a Recto cab loaded w/ 90s ...that's gotta be pretty sick [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ October 12, 2003, 01:43 AM: Message edited by: horns666 ]
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Could you mix speakers in one cab, maybe having two 75s and two 30s or something? That might be rad...

Comment

Yes, Bogner sells a cab like that. They are set in an "X" pattern.

Comment

That is the cab I am getting. The Uber cab has two v30's and two 75's. I sold one of my Lee jackson cabs to fund the purchase. So now I will have the Uber cab and the other Lee Jackson cab for my Lee gear.

Comment

Another thing about this head is I find EMG's sound very good with it. And what I mean is I have guitars with various pickups but an EMG 81 really mixes well with thim amp. My guitars with Duncan Distortions sound like **** through it. And my last question before I decide what to do with the power amp tubes. DOES ANYONES UBER ON THE BOARD HAVE JJ EL34L'S IN IT?

Comment

I've been trying to talk Bill into EMGs for a year! Mine sound excelent through that amp too. I never liked the Dimarzios Bill runs...

Comment

Hey Horns666,
                            Have you ever played thur an 800 series Marshall 4x12 loaded with old Rola Celestion G12-80's?! These speakers by far are the best for any type of high gain, mega low endy sounding amp like the Uber. They have more low end than the Vintage 30's (lke the 75's) but the low end freq responce is much tighter. It's not sloppy sounding a the 75's can be. They also are a bit cleaner sounding than the 75's with less speaker breakup. Definately the best sounding speaker for any type of Metal! That's propablly why I own 6 4x12's loaded with them!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah, we've used the 80 watt celestions. They are definitely very cool.

Comment

Working...
                              X