KT88's....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KT88's....

Okay, the VHT Pitbull UL needs some new ones people, any suggestions other than the stock VHT's ( which look like Sovteks ? )

I hear that the JJ's are pretty good......

Your help would be appreciated [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks,

Steve

Re: KT88\'s....

Another vote for the JJ's.

Comment

Not to argue. But, have you ever tried the svetlanas? I've tried the JJs in different amps, and, although they are quite cool, I still like the Svets better. And I've been buying tubes for 25 years...

Neither are a bad brand for sure though and are quite worthy.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys.

Cleveland, what differences have you noticed between the Svets and the JJs? Why do you prefer the Svets? ( Tone? )

I hear the JJs have a better clean sound but that's not my main concern. Are either of them more "Modern" or "Vintage" sounding, coz i wouldnt wanna lose too much of that dry roaring UL sound with the tight bottom end [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks

Steve

Comment

The main difference I've noticed between the Svets & the JJ's is that the Svets have a brighter sweeter tone with a glassier high end... the JJ's sound thicker/tighter and have a crunchier low end. I think Svets would be your best bet in lead/solo type situation (I love Svets in all of my Marshalls), but for the heavy/modern metal sound JJs nail this tone better IMHO.

Comment

I'd always felt that the JJs had more mid range and the svets had more bass and more highs end...

More crunch ehh? Can't say I noticed. But, maybe I'll try them again next retube...

Comment

Svetlana KT88s from the tube store are all that I'll use in my VHT 2150. Never been at all impressed with the Sovtech power amp tubes.

The Teslas aren't bad either

Comment

The JJ KT-88's are unreal. I would go with them.

Comment

Thanks everyone, i think i will try the Svets [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

A final question, will i have to adjust the bias for the Svets or have you guys just popped them in and run them straight up?

Thanks

Steve

Comment

Whichever you go with, JJs or Svets, you should have it rebiased. It's not expensive, and will assure that your amps sounds the best it can with whatever tubes you use.

Not biasing will put unneeded stress on the tubes and even the power supply in the amp.

Comment

I shelled out 150$ for rebiasing and a matched quad of power tubes, JJ El34s.

Comment

Working...
                      X