Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This the right way to wire..

four 8Ω speakers for 8Ω?

'bout 2 weeks ago I got this 4x10 combo cab , installed the amp chassis and the four 8Ω speakers pictured. I also replaced the power tubes. About a week later, upon powering up I hear the amp make some noises and blow a fuse as soon as I flick the standby switch. I'm figuring it's probably the tubes, but I wanna eliminate the possibility of bad impedance/speakers. all four speakers sound fine with this wiring. switching the black wires yielded some bizarre noises and no signal, so i figure i have the + and - figured out this way.
    the loose wire on the bottom is not connected to anything so ignore it.

[ October 13, 2003, 09:23 AM: Message edited by: Jerry From Ghana ]

Re: This the right way to wire..

a

[ October 13, 2003, 09:21 AM: Message edited by: Jerry From Ghana ]

Comment

first off, hook up a 9v battery to your cabinet - where the amp would plug in. watch your speakers - they all should move in the same direction. Any that do not are out of phase.

hook up an ohmmeter to the cabinet also - it will read low. if it's around 3ohms, then you've wired it for 4. 6 or so is 8, and 11-13 is 16. It's hard to see where the bottom wiring goes - draw a pic of what wire goes where and I can tell more of what's going on.

pete

Comment

On the bottom 2 speakers, is the wire going from the positive on the right one to the negative on the left one ??

Matt

Comment

pete - the two black wires' other ending is a 1/4" plug. I guess I would need to take two other bare wires and hook 'em up to the speakers and the 9v eh?

matt - yes, what you see on the bottom is a wire going from the - of the left bottom speaker to the + of the right bottom speaker. Not correct?

Comment

Your wiring looks correct. Is the positive pad on the lower right speaker touching the basket ??

Matt

Comment

Matt,
              no, since that picture I covered the bare wire to be safe.

Since I replaced the fuse the amp's been sounding fine and hasn't blown it (yet).

Comment

Working...
              X