Shrieks and tube sockets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shrieks and tube sockets?

My vht head, once in a while, tends to start "shrieking" out of the blue. It does not appear to be caused bad tubes as I've tried two sets of them. Instead it seems to be coming from the last power tube sucket. When it stars shrieking, tapping on the power tubes produces breaks in the shriek, and tapping on the first power tube can eliminate it altogether. Gentle smacks on the (amp's) cabinet are "microphonic" as well. What can this be? dirty connection? can this be handled by a clueless ebonic ball sniffer such as myself?

today i was able to capture it for your listening pleasure. You can hear the reverb tank towards the end of the clip as I'm gently smackin' it, and the shriek stops.
    play clip

Re: Shrieks and tube sockets?

Originally posted by Jerry From Ghana:
    My vht head, once in a while, tends to start "shrieking" out of the blue. It does not appear to be caused bad tubes as I've tried two sets of them. Instead it seems to be coming from the last power tube sucket. When it stars shrieking, tapping on the power tubes produces breaks in the shriek, and tapping on the first power tube can eliminate it altogether. Gentle smacks on the (amp's) cabinet are "microphonic" as well. What can this be? dirty connection? can this be handled by a clueless ebonic ball sniffer such as myself?

today i was able to capture it for your listening pleasure. You can hear the reverb tank towards the end of the clip as I'm gently smackin' it, and the shriek stops.
    play clip
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If you tap it and it goes away, you might have a cold or bad solder joint. Personally, I'd call VHT before I took an iron to my amp.

Pete

Comment

Re: Shrieks and tube sockets?

Originally posted by Twisteramps:
      ]If you tap it and it goes away, you might have a cold or bad solder joint. Personally, I'd call VHT before I took an iron to my amp.

Pete
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Alright, thanks. Yes I can make it go away by tapping on the tube. It eventually comes back or doesn't. I will call them, though sending it for repair to CA would cost like 100 bucks in shipping alone. Hopefully it's something I can get done locally.

Comment

Working...
      X