5150 combo VS head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5150 combo VS head

ok i wanted a combo for my apartment but a friend has an old 5150 head hes selling for $350 & i have a 2X12 cab. how much of a difference in tone between the head & combo. ive heard the head has better gain & the combo better cleans? true or just BS.

Re: 5150 combo VS head

The real 5150 set up is the head and Shefield 4 12 cab ..

Then put a BBe 422 in the loop and that's all ya need really.

[ October 16, 2003, 11:26 AM: Message edited by: horns666 ]
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Its BS. The difference is very simple. The combo is the heaviest combo on the planet. It should come with a roadie to carry it. Even with casters it is over 90lbs. The other difference I believe is that the combo comes with reverb and the head doesn't. I would go for the head and the 2 x 12.

[ October 16, 2003, 11:27 AM: Message edited by: jgcable ]

Comment

the combo sounds lame ..imo
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

They're both gonna suck for an apartment amp, too.

Comment

I would get the head but I don't know how you're going to run it to its best potential in that apartment [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
            There is a common complaint about trying to get a good clean sound out of the older heads.There is a past thread on this board about retubing which helps considerably.
            They also say to run a BBE in the effects loop.

Comment

Originally posted by j2379:
              i was looking at 45-60 watt tube combos & the 5150's look like a great deal. then my friend tells me hes selling his 5150 head cheap. right now all i have is a Modded Randall 100watt tube head , a 4X12 & a 2X12 & a marshall 30 master lead that sounds OK but i want to get rid of everything & have one good practice/gig amp.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I am interested in the Randall. I sort of collect them. Especially if it is modded. Another amp you should check out is the Randall Warhead. It is a SS combo but it really packs a punch and sounds great at low volumes. It also has built in effects and an EQ. My suggestion is to really try out the 5150 before buying it. People either love them or hate them. I didn't really care for mine but that was mainly due to the weight.

Comment

The 5150 head would be the best sounding of the two.As far as playing in an apartment,that is going to suck ,but I use an ART SGX in the loop an d with that I can control the output level with the sliders,it does suck some tone but you can get some decent sounds at a much lower volume that way than without,of course don't use any preamp distortion through the loop cuz it'll sound like dirty ass.

Comment

The head and the combo are different. The circuit is different. I do mods to the 5150 to make the clean better, tighten them up, and give them more clarity. I have clips of 3 modded ones on my sound clip page.
                  Jerry
                  FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable:
                    Yea, what Chuck says goes for me too. Why would you want that type of amp for home use? It really doesn't make much sense. You will never get the volume past 1.5
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">not to mention the 5150 sounds like ass at low volume. It has to be up around 5 on the post gain for it to become a real monster. I think we run teh 5150 with teh pre gain somewhere between 5-6 (just past 12 o'clock) and the post at 5 (12 o'clock) It's loud as hell. But, why would you want to play a 5150 any other way?

Comment

My under $300.00 Crate DXJ112 60w modeling amp totally smokes a 5150 combo at bedroom levels. I have had both. Of course, live and loud is a different story but if you turn the 5150 up loud enough for it to sound good I can guarantee that the cops are coming to your house. The 5150 is a very powerful amp and is really only suited for live use. If you want a combination of gigging and home use I would suggest separating church and state by buying a small cheap modeling combo for home and leave your monster live rig for when you need to get loud and nasty. There is really no happy medium if you play the type of music that a 5150 was designed for. For instance, I practice at home and give lessons off of my Crate Modeling amps but live I use a rack mount Carvin T-100 with a Carvin Quad X and for cabinets I use 4 x 12's for the big clubs and 2 x 12's for the small venues. Lugging around my small road case and a small 2 x 12 cabinet can be accomplished in the back seat of my Neon. Think about it. There aren't many combo's that can truly do double duty. Maybe a combo can do it for a classic rock or pop or maybe a blues band but not for metal.

Comment

Thanks guys, im probably goin with the head. I will have my guy put a 1/2 & 1/4 power switch in it so i can keep the volume kinda low.

JG the randall is an RGT100 i am the original owner it was modded by Chris Davis in Wappingers Falls.

Comment

I have a few clients in Wappingers Falls right on the main drag. Shoot me an email on how much for the Randall. Thanks...

Comment

I have to agree the 5150 combo sucks for a bedroom amp, WAY too loud and heavy. It was great to play a small gig but other than that no. I'm waiting on my Crate dxj212 to come tomarrow and we'll see how that stacks up.
                            I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Yea, what Chuck says goes for me too. Why would you want that type of amp for home use? It really doesn't make much sense. You will never get the volume past 1.5

Comment

Working...
                              X