Cutting Feedback!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting Feedback!

This is my first post, and i welcome myself to the club. Anyways, i have a very big problem with feedback when rehearsing or playing live. I have 2 Jacksons, A PS-2 with a Dimarzio tone zone (evh) in the bridge, and a warrior with a SH-13 Dimebucker in the bridge. I am playing through a Crate BV-120 head and a marshall 1960 cab. I cant turn down, and you'll have to kill me before i change my tone settings. I tried a boss noise supressor and a noise gate, but they dont cut it early enough. I hope theres a really simple solution. Any thoughts???

Re: Cutting Feedback!

LESS GAIN

Comment

Yeah, the curse of lotsa cool crunchy gain is feedback... Been there, still there...

You just need to get good with the volume control on your axes or get a volume pedal... Then, a noise gate can take over and chill the noise between if there is any.

No noise gate/ HUSH or whatever will pull down the feedback from that situation. If you "could" get to clamp down on it, it would kill the signal at other times really.

Best thing out there is the Rocktron "Guitar Silencer" as it is all analog and won't kill your tone like the digital oriented gates will. But, it still won't clamp on that heavy gain oriented feedback.

Comment

there is an easy solution. Turn the gain down.

Comment

I didn't know you could...

Gain... Down??? Blasphemers!!!!

Comment

I used to have tons of problems with this, but I remedied it with buying good pickups(which you seem to have) and getting a graphic eq to notch out the frequencies that are feeding back with. The only problem with that is that you might not be happy with the sound after you've done that. Good luck man, there seems to be no simple solution to this problem.

Comment

It's interesting - I have a problem with "howling" from my guitars, and it's actually the pickups resonating on the mounting springs.

I think we're rehearsing a little loud. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Are you getting a "howl" (lower pitched) or a "squeal" (high pitched)?

Mike
              Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

I'm curious about this, though I don't have the problem myself. What if you move/turn the cab, or move yourself around, away from the cab in different directions? Aren't those fairly standard ways to avoid feedback, or is it completely out of the question in your specific case?

Stu

Comment

Thanks so far, but there aint NO WAY im turning my gain down. I do have a boss 7-band EQ but i've only played around with it at home, so ill try it at practice. Ive been piloting the volume control on the guitar, but the problem is its an import warrior and its got really SHI**Y pots so its crunchy anyways (i'll replace it when i get paid!) Im not practicing until thursday but in the mean time from you guys' experience, which band does the feed back usually come from in a situation like mine? (boss ge-7 100,200,400,800,1.6k,3.2k,6.4k hz)thanks alot. one simple question and allready a bunch of good answers. (except for turning down my gain [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] THIS BOARD ROCKS!!!!!! by the way its squealing

Comment

If it's a squeal then it'll be in the higher frequencies.

Comment

If it's a squeal, it's probably a microphonic preamp tube, IMO, since the pickups you have should be potted pretty well.

I thought there was a thread around for the best way to deal with this, but I can't find it.

Does someone who's more eloquent want to chime in on the safest/most effective way to do this?

Mike
                      Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

take your amp to a trusted repair shop and have it completely retubed and biased. if it comes back and you still have the same problems, check the wiring of both guitars, ps-2, (use internet to get diagrams) pedals, cables, etc. are you using the right impedance for your cab? are you pluged into a grounded outlet? are you trying to mute/stop without turning the guitar volume down? if you don't like using the knobs, buy a volume pedal. try rolling off some presence (that white noise will cause more feedback - granted it makes the tone sound better when jamming alone, but once you add the rest of the band, it becomes white noise and makes you turn up louder to be heard. - try rolling some presence out and you will seem louder without turning up as high because you will start to cut through the mix.)
                        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

If your gain is dimed and the amp is running really loud, it's going to feed back no matter how well your pickups are potted. You may have a microphonic tube... if so, try putting a folded blanket or something like that between the back and the amp, or take the amp off the top of the cab so it isn't resonanting the tubes.

Another thing you can do is swap tubes around - move the V1 with the inverter (last) preamp tube. See if that helps.

If your amp is ok and your pickups are properly potted and you're still getting uncontrolled feedback/squeals, TURN THE GAIN DOWN. Or get a fair distance from your cabs. If you're right on top of your cabinet and it's cranked, you're going to be more likely to feed back.

Pete

Comment

Working...
                          X