New amp suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New amp suggestions

dang you guys rock. So far the VHT sounds the most interesting. I dont think Ive ever dogged Line 6 cuz I do think they make some cool stuff, but its just not for me. I like simple stuff. I wouldnt say Im a tube purist but Id prefer tube.
    Line 6 stuff is fun to mess with but for $1000 and up Id rather have a nice tube amp. All I want is a killer distortion that blows my mesa away or at least a little better and a decent clean. But I could just save and pick up a cheap fender for cleans or something like that. Maybe an Orange amp for cleans. Anyone got any more in depth stuff about the VHTs and their sound and what all it can do. I really want something that when someone hears it who is into Marshall and Mesa say dang howd you get that sound. Im glad Im a part of this message board with all these knowledgable people. So far I think VHT is in the lead.

Comment

if no one can seem to find the bad sound that your amp is making - could it possibly be your guitar or a short in the guitar that was making that noise? could it have been a short in the guitar cable? did you ever replace the tubes? if so did you use mesa tubes? if not, did you get the amp biased properly. did you ever have your amp on without the speaker cab plugged in? did you ever turn your amp on or off without in being on standby?

just some thoughts
      ~JW
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Its the guitar o cable because Ive tried all 4 of my guitars through it and its not the cable becasue ive played it with other cables. The Mesa guy from the company called me the other day and said it was a perfectyl fine amp and there is nothing wrong with it. The thing is it didnt make thise noise before the tubes went out which I already had replaced. Ive taken it to where I got it from twice and a mesa certified tech once and now its at the mesa company. Everyone thinks Im crazy but i hear something and it is very annoying. I had a rect o verb and that didnt make this noise either. Maybe itll come back and magically be fixed. if not im selling it and getting something better. Im really interested in the VHT pitbull 50 CL thing. anyone got anymore info or reviews on that one?

Comment

I had a VHT 50/CL - terrific amp. I prefer the Vetta, however. Much more versatile. I've been lucky enough to own at one time or another a TON of different tube amps, and scratch build custom ones... I still enjoy the Vetta because it has so many different good tones in it. For $1,000 I don't think it can be beat.

Pete

Comment

I have a VHT 50/2x12 combo. It's not as high gain as the CL, CLX, or UL, but with my 10 band eq in the loop it's pretty amazing.

I think the clean is better than the Recto clean. I just sold my Single Recto head.

The VHT does not sound compressed. It will pick up EVERY nuance of your playing. It sounds very open. The tone controls aren't as funky as a Mesa's. I love the tone mine. My 2x12 combo has an open back and with the bass LESS than 1/2 way thumps like crazy. Steve Fryette, the owner of VHT has answered a ton of tech questions via email, some within 2 minutes of sending them!

I would like to get a CL or CLX to have more gain at my disposal.

Comment

Originally posted by jackson16:
              Im really interested in the VHT pitbull 50 CL thing. anyone got anymore info or reviews on that one?
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Here are some clips of the VHT 50CL: CLIPS Scroll down because they're at the bottom of the page.

The CL uses EL34s, whereas the UL use KT88s so the tone will be different. The UL has a much faster pick attack with zero sag. Also the UL has much more preamp gain. They used to make a CLX which was basically the UL preamp + CL power amp with EL34s.

Comment

the 50CL will also take 6L6 tubes - it has an El34/6L6 switch. It also has solid state and tube rectfication, and can come with an optional EQ and/or reverb. For metal, mine ate mesas and marshalls alive. The clean wasn't that great, however - it basically has a pair of lead channels.

FYI - the 50/CL has the same amount of gain as an ultralead. Stevie Fryette told me this. It's basically an UL with a different power section and no dedicated 'clean' channel.

Pete

Originally posted by Wizard of Ozz:
                </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by jackson16:
                Im really interested in the VHT pitbull 50 CL thing. anyone got anymore info or reviews on that one?
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Here are some clips of the VHT 50CL: CLIPS Scroll down because they're at the bottom of the page.

The CL uses EL34s, whereas the UL use KT88s so the tone will be different. The UL has a much faster pick attack with zero sag. Also the UL has much more preamp gain. They used to make a CLX which was basically the UL preamp + CL power amp with EL34s.
                </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

[ October 22, 2003, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: Twisteramps ]

Comment

man that amp sounded pretty killer. And dude who posted the sound files, you are awesome on guitar.
                  I enjoyed just listening to you play. So this amp doesnt have any clean channel? Im really liking this amp. I love the light distortion for more classic rock and bluesy stuff and I bet with a little tweaking that amp could get most any crunch or insane gain that I wanted. I could do a lot of sonic damage with that thing. It sounded pretty killer with a les paul that sounded like it had stock pickups. My guitars have EMGs. would that make it even more insane? that was probably a stupid question. How much you think I could find a good VHT pitbull 50 with the eq for? Im guessing Id have to go used cuz they seem really expensive new.

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps:
                    FYI - the 50/CL has the same amount of gain as an ultralead. Stevie Fryette told me this. It's basically an UL with a different power section and no dedicated 'clean' channel.
                    Pete
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Not true... maybe you misunderstood him because if you look at the preamp design of the 50CL there are 4 X 12AX7s (3 gain stages + boost)... the UL has 6 X 12AX7s (4 gain stages + boost)... so that's not true. BTW If you ever plpay both side by side, the UL will eat the CL for lunch gainwise. Thats why VHT came out with the CLX... which is the UL preamp + CL power amp with EL34s... maybe he was talking about a CLX.

Comment

Originally posted by jackson16:
                      man that amp sounded pretty killer. And dude who posted the sound files, you are awesome on guitar.
                      I enjoyed just listening to you play. So this amp doesnt have any clean channel? Im really liking this amp. I love the light distortion for more classic rock and bluesy stuff and I bet with a little tweaking that amp could get most any crunch or insane gain that I wanted. I could do a lot of sonic damage with that thing. It sounded pretty killer with a les paul that sounded like it had stock pickups. My guitars have EMGs. would that make it even more insane? that was probably a stupid question. How much you think I could find a good VHT pitbull 50 with the eq for? Im guessing Id have to go used cuz they seem really expensive new.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">For record it was a friend of mine playing [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] . I believe his LP has a SD Screamin Demon in the bridge. EMGs would definitely kick everything up a notch. The 50CL with EQ was selling for $1200 new, but recently there was a price increase... I'd say they're probably in the $1400-$1500 area now. You can sometimes find them used for ~ $1000.

Comment

that isnt much more than my Mesa was and if it would burry my Boogie then heck ill go for it. I just wish there was one near me or even in this state so I could give it a test. But Ill just go out on a limb maybe. How is the resale on these things?

Comment

They hold their value very well. You can also check out eBay to get an idea of the used pricing. That's the only thing with them... almost no place carries them new, so trying one out can be a pain.

Comment

where could i pick one up new? who has the best prices?

Comment

Regarding the boost - how do you know it takes an entire gain stage? You can get a large boost just by putting a capacitor from the cathode to ground on a preamp gain stage - no extra tube required.

If you've schematics for a 50/CL and a UL, by all means, post a link - I'd love to see one.

I specifically asked Fryette what the differences were - he said the 50/CL had the same gain channels as the UL. flat out. I haven't compared them side by side, but the 50/CL I had was gainier than *any* amp I've ever owned - everything from mesas to soldano rack stuff to 5150s and voodoo modded marshalls.

Until Fryette posts differently, I'm going with what he typed to me earlier [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Pete

Originally posted by Wizard of Ozz:
                              </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Twisteramps:
                              Pete
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Not true... maybe you misunderstood him because if you look at the preamp design of the 50CL there are 4 X 12AX7s (3 gain stages + boost)... the UL has 6 X 12AX7s (4 gain stages + boost)... so that's not true. BTW If you ever plpay both side by side, the UL will eat the CL for lunch gainwise. Thats why VHT came out with the CLX... which is the UL preamp + CL power amp with EL34s... maybe he was talking about a CLX. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps:
                                Regarding the boost - how do you know it takes an entire gain stage? You can get a large boost just by putting a capacitor from the cathode to ground on a preamp gain stage - no extra tube required.

If you've schematics for a 50/CL and a UL, by all means, post a link - I'd love to see one.

Until Fryette posts differently, I'm going with what he typed to me earlier [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Pete
                                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The boost doesn't involve a tube (I never said that), it comes from adding a cap to the circuit. Take a look at the preamp layout; you don't need a schematic. One has 3 tube preamp gain stages, the other has 4. Believe what you like... but they are not the same.

Comment

Working...
                                X