New amp suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New amp suggestions

I just asked Steve Fryette a bunch of questions about the differences in the VHT amps regarding preamp gain:

ST: least amount

CL and CLX: equal amount, but more than the ST. CL is 2 channel, CLX is 3 channel.

UL: the most, and more than the CL and CLX. UL is 3 channel.

Comment

Grrr, Fryette told me last year a 50/CL had a UL lead channel. Doh'!

Guess I tied with Wizard of Ozz then... he thought the UL and CLX had the same amount of gain.

We were both wrong [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Thanks for clearing it up Venomboy.

One other thing - on the 50/CLs, I actually used my eq as a lead boost, since the boost function wasn't controllable regarding how much you had. The 50/CL sounds great without the eq - it's not like a mark series boogie that sounds really nasal without any equalization.

Pete

Originally posted by Venomboy:
      I just asked Steve Fryette a bunch of questions about the differences in the VHT amps regarding preamp gain:

ST: least amount

CL and CLX: equal amount, but more than the ST. CL is 2 channel, CLX is 3 channel.

UL: the most, and more than the CL and CLX. UL is 3 channel.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Comment

Hey Pete, do any of the Budda amps actually have footswitchable channels or is the only option to take the cable out and put it into the other input?
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
          Hey Pete, do any of the Budda amps actually have footswitchable channels or is the only option to take the cable out and put it into the other input?
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The Superdrive series are channel switchers, and sound great. Lead channel has enough for hard rock, but not for metal.

Pete

Comment

Thanks.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

And Steve also told me the following regarding the CL and a clean channel (I'm paraphrasing):

The CL doesn't have the same clean module as the VHT amps that specifically say they have a clean channel. You can get a clean sound by increasing the master and reducing the gain control. He said it's easier to do that with the 100 CL because in the 50 CL you have reduced power and headroom. I'm assuiming the power tubes would break up earlier.

Pete, so how was the clean in your CL? Did it ever distort if pushed too hard. I like the clean in my 50/2x12 (bascially an ST combo) and I thought the Recto's clean was pretty lifeless.

Comment

That`s suprising to hear the CLX is more of a Power Tube distortion amp, my 1993 100 CLX sounds like a very high gain Pre-Amp tube distortion amp, now I am more confused as always [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] I love how tight and expressive my VHT is and sounds down right earth shaking thru my Madison 4x12, but I would like to get another 4x12 with either Classic 30`s or GT12-75`s or Lead 80`s. The Madsion is voiced very dark which I love, but would like to get a more loud/clear speaker sound at times. Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by Venomboy:
                  And Steve also told me the following regarding the CL and a clean channel (I'm paraphrasing):

The CL doesn't have the same clean module as the VHT amps that specifically say they have a clean channel. You can get a clean sound by increasing the master and reducing the gain control. He said it's easier to do that with the 100 CL because in the 50 CL you have reduced power and headroom. I'm assuiming the power tubes would break up earlier.

Pete, so how was the clean in your CL? Did it ever distort if pushed too hard. I like the clean in my 50/2x12 (bascially an ST combo) and I thought the Recto's clean was pretty lifeless.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">With very much gain at all (like 9 o'clock) on my 50/CL, it was rock city... What I did was I used single coils for clean, and then if I switched to a bridge humbucker it was kinda like a Rolling Stones overdrive (like brown sugar, NOT satisfaction) [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The 50/CL is an awesome amp, just too darned aggressive sounding for some of the stuff I do. I wouldn't mind having another one eventually.

Pete

Comment

thats what i like to hear, too darned aggressive. 3 pages of stuff from just me looking for a new amp. The VHT sounds exactly what im looking for gain wise. I can work with the clean or just buy a cheap used fender amp for cleans. But I dont use clean that much but it is nice to play around with every now and then or just to do something different. thanks alot and i hope i can sell my boogie for enough to get me real close to a VHT. or at least close enough.

Comment

Comment

Hey Wizard, tell us about EL34 and 6L6 current draw, will ya? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps:

FYI - the 50/CL has the same amount of gain as an ultralead. Stevie Fryette told me this. It's basically an UL with a different power section and no dedicated 'clean' channel.

Pete
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Remember this bunch of imaginary BS?? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
                          You obviously have no clue what you're talking about. I'm pretty sure Stevie knows the difference between his amp models... but you obviously do not. The UL has much more gain than the CL. Oh and btw I highly doubt you ever spoke to him. I'm sure it was just another one of your beer induced hallucinations while you were building one of your "boutique" power amps there in the trailer park. Twister Amps...yeah right... well they are made by a twisted individual. Stop while you're behind, you'll only dig yourself in deeper.

Comment

I admitted that I was wrong... but that's what he told me, to the best of my recollection.

Here's some of your wisdom...

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...hreadid=491434

I'm here to help anytime, ya know? Next time you discharge the caps in your amp, ground em out to that metal plate in your skull.

Pete

Comment

i don't see why more people aren't using a pod 2.0 or xt, regular or pro, with a good tube power amp. then you can record direct, or tweak it out with tubes and speakers. maybe cause i'm not into the line 6 speaker cabs and combos. i just think the set up i'm talking about would be the most versitile.

just my 2 cents worth.
                              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel:
                                i don't see why more people aren't using a pod 2.0 or xt, regular or pro, with a good tube power amp. then you can record direct, or tweak it out with tubes and speakers. maybe cause i'm not into the line 6 speaker cabs and combos. i just think the set up i'm talking about would be the most versitile.

just my 2 cents worth.
                                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">But it will not have the punch of an all tube system.Imo pods work best with solid state power amps,cos their sound don't need any more alteration.

Comment

Working...
                                X