Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New amp suggestions

Originally posted by jackson16:
    thats what i like to hear, too darned aggressive. 3 pages of stuff from just me looking for a new amp. The VHT sounds exactly what im looking for gain wise. I can work with the clean or just buy a cheap used fender amp for cleans. But I dont use clean that much but it is nice to play around with every now and then or just to do something different. thanks alot and i hope i can sell my boogie for enough to get me real close to a VHT. or at least close enough.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Jackson16, I have a Pittbull Classic (CLX) and I play metal and hardcore. In case you're wondering if that amp will have enough gain for that kind of music: YES IT WILL. I keep my gain around 3 o'clock and that's enough for me.
    I talked to Steve Fryette about VHT amps in general and he told me that the Classics/100s had less gain than the new ULs, but back then when they came out they still had more gain than most other hi-gain amps.

In case you can find an old Classic or a used CLX I'd snatch it. The clean is very good for a hi-gain amp. It has a little chime, even with a neck humbucker.
    Mine doesn't have a built-in EQ but I run an EQ in the loop. VHT fx loops are among the best, I don't notice any hiss or noise running it that way. The EQ will give you some nice sound options, but it will sound great without an EQ as well. I use mine to shape the mids a little more.

Personally I prefer the amp with passive PUs because it's very defined already but try it for yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordor:
      </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel:
      i don't see why more people aren't using a pod 2.0 or xt, regular or pro, with a good tube power amp. then you can record direct, or tweak it out with tubes and speakers. maybe cause i'm not into the line 6 speaker cabs and combos. i just think the set up i'm talking about would be the most versitile.

just my 2 cents worth.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">But it will not have the punch of an all tube system.Imo pods work best with solid state power amps,cos their sound don't need any more alteration. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You'll get punch, but the feel will be off, at least it was for me when I tried either Pods w/tube amps. I'm really enjoying my Vetta since it's loud, punches through fine, and I can get controllable useful feedback with it. And yes, I've gigged with it and used it in 'real world' situations, not just a bedroom.

Pete

Comment

Yep,but Vetta (as also Flextones etc) is a preamp with MATCHED solid state power section!Which I think is pretty different from pods with valve power amps right?

Comment

Originally posted by Mordor:
          Yep,but Vetta (as also Flextones etc) is a preamp with MATCHED solid state power section!Which I think is pretty different from pods with valve power amps right?
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yep. They've improved something... the Vetta II, and the HD147s sound better the louder they are, which is pretty strange.

I never could get a tone or feel that I liked with my Pod 2.3 or XT.

Pete

Comment

My vote goes for either an Engl Blackmore or Fireball as well as the HD-147 or Splawn Modded Marshall for the price range and features you want.

Derek

Comment

How does that blackmore head compare to the powerball? more o rless gain? I know it doesn't have as many extras..like the noise gate and what not... but is there a huge differenc ein tone?

Comment

Originally posted by the_drip:
                How does that blackmore head compare to the powerball? more o rless gain? I know it doesn't have as many extras..like the noise gate and what not... but is there a huge differenc ein tone?
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It has a different more Classic type of voicing with less gain and lowend than the Powerball but it still is a rippin amp for Metal and it record's great.

Heres a couple clip's clip of of mine.
                http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Me..._000012598.mp3

http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Me..._000008858.mp3

Derek

Comment

I Wanna a VHT!!! [img]graemlins/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] Those sound clips are awesome

Comment

pete,

its funny that you mentioned that. i was not able to get a tone that i like out of a pod 2.3 either. i can with the 2.0 you'd think that the next step up would be better, but i found it not to be.
                    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Has anyone here tried the Reynolds Sledgehammer 150W ?

the Rocktron Vendetta

non-tube:

Tech21 trademark 300

the Randall Warhead.

Just curious as to what you thought of them.

s

Comment

Working...
                      X