Mesa Mark III vs Mesa 50 Cal+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Mark III vs Mesa 50 Cal+

Ok, I have the opportunity to grab either one of these amps. The Mesa Mark III is a combo, not yet sure if it's the Simul-class or not, so for the purposes of this thread assume the worst (i.e. it's not a Simul-class model), all in working order.

The 50 Cal+ is the 6L6 head, with a Trace Elliot 4x12, all in good working order.

Which do you guys think is the better amp for mainly prog metal. I know "better" is a subjective term, but basically I'm wanting your preference and why. I'm mainly playing prog rock/metal, but I suppose I'd like to be able to play some heavier stuff too...

BTW, the combo and the half stack are going for about the same price.

Re: Mesa Mark III vs Mesa 50 Cal+

I play through a .50 - 6L6 - at our rehearsal space.

The Mark III - even with it's issues - is a better amp, IMO.

Mike
    Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Thanks. I'm leaning towards the Mark III at the moment anyways. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Mark III all the way.
        www.kiddhavok.com
        www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

i think the mark3 is great
          1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

Ok, I just looked at the Mesa/Boogie site for a price on the EQ/Reverb and Rhythm 2 footswitches, and there's not the slightest chance in hell I'm paying that! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Anyone have any links to schematics for these switches, or or a switch that will work?

Comment

They're just 'dumb' switches. The Mesa ones die easy - but the casing lives on and on and on...
              [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] - you should be able to use most switches with 'em...

MkIII's fuggin rip - they'll give you the definition you need for prog, as well as classic metal tones.

[ October 25, 2003, 11:27 AM: Message edited by: nor ]
              750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
              Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

yeah what nor said, they use standard tip/ring jacks and on/off switches, i use one from an old yamaha amp i had. you could pickup a generic one from GC or something.

Comment

On the short-chassis MkIII's, the EQ and Rev are ganged to a single tip-ring sleve jack. I just made a short splitter (stereo - dual mono) that feeds into a Rockman Octapus. By using longer cables you can feed footswitches, or whatever.

Or ya can be like Chuckracer and short out the end on some rackears to achive channel switches... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                  Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

[img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] Yer pickin on me, aren't ya? [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. So if I just picked up fairly standard single and double button footswitches, they should probably work ok? I was getting worried there that I'd have to really test my soldering skills, which at the moment are pretty...err... [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Thanks again for the help. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

damn you're right, i never noticed that.

Originally posted by nor:
                        On the short-chassis MkIII's, the EQ and Rev are ganged to a single tip-ring sleve jack. I just made a short splitter (stereo - dual mono) that feeds into a Rockman Octapus. By using longer cables you can feed footswitches, or whatever.

Or ya can be like Chuckracer and short out the end on some rackears to achive channel switches... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Comment

Originally posted by nor:
                          I just made a short splitter (stereo - dual mono) that feeds into a Rockman Octapus. By using longer cables you can feed footswitches, or whatever.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I have... no idea what you just said. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ October 26, 2003, 06:56 PM: Message edited by: DeadNight Warrior ]

Comment

mark III over .50 cal +

.50 cal (el84 ver) over mark III
                            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

My old Mrk III head was pretty damn nice ...a little mushy for my taste ...but very nice..
                              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                              X