Amp questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp questions

I currently have a Laney LC-30 and I don't like its distortion sound. The top-end is too fizzy, and the overall sound is kinda mushy and loose.
    I mainly play at home, but I'm pretty sure I'll start gigging soon.

What do you recommend? A rack? A combo? I won't be buying a head+cab, as that costs way too much.

But maybe my problem is within the amp itself. Are these symptoms of bad tubes? I've heard quite bad things about the speakers in these amps(HH Invaders). Do I need a equalizer pedal? [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Thanx a million

Thoraby

Re: Amp questions

I like these guitarists tone: Rhoads, Stetina, Lynch, Friedman, Skolnick, Alex Laiho.

I listen to metal i.e Ozzy, Van Halen, Lynch mob, Children of bodom, Testament, Megadeth.

I think I'll get a equalizer for my amp. That'll be cheaper than a new amp. Also EVH's tone on unchained is kinda similar to the tone I get. And George Lynch's tone on a instruction video I've got is also kinda top end-fizzy.

What equalizer do you recommend? I'm building up my rack right now. I've already bought a Ibanez DM2000 delay which should be here in a couple of days.

Comment

I like the Boss Ge-7. It is a graphic eq. You will get more control from a parametric eq but the only pedal one I know of was (I say was because it is out of production) the Boss pq-4.

Comment

Well, if a head and cab is too spendy, then a rack is right out. That leaves a combo. There are about a hundred good choices there, but I've never played any of them, so I'll leave that for someone who knows.
        If you're going to be buying something to gig with then I would'nt throw money at the LC30. If its more than a couple years old, you may want to re-tube it, and an EQ like a GE7 in the loop would take care of the fizz, but again, if you're gonna replace it, why bother?

Comment

I'd at least start with a good eq pedal...you can use it now and it might totally solve your problem, and if not, you can still use it later on with whatever rig you buy. What kind of sounds do you want to achieve, and what kind of music do you play? This is important stuff to state if you want advice on what kind of amp to buy.

Comment

Working...
          X