Metallica effect question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metallica effect question

On song 9 (The Unnamed Feeling) from the new Metallica cd, what kind of guitar effect is it that starts at exactly 1:00 in when James starts whispering "been here before"?
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Re: Metallica effect question

(imagine a pic of that photoshopped pedal that has the SUCK level here

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

(because I couldn't find the thread!) [img]graemlins/fart.gif[/img]
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] The effect actually sounds really cool, I'm just wondering what the hell it is.

Comment

Man, I can't remember what you're talking about off the top of my head, but it's probably something from one of the Line 6 pedals...Kirk and James both used those on St Anger. I will listen to it tonight and maybe we can figure it out!

Comment

Cool, thanks! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I wasn't sure if it was something from the Line 6 pedals or the yellow Digitech XP pedal Kirk's got. It vaguely sounds like when you're doing a hammer-on/pull-off trill and you rub your palm or finger lightly down the string and the harmonics jump out at you. Someone on the Metallica board said it's just a wah pedal, but there really doesn't seem to be any wah sweep going on... unless it's just the wah in a fixed position as a filter.

Comment

Actually, they say it's a backwards wah. I've heard of people doing that backwards effect on reverb and wah before. Is there a backwards effect on one of those pedals or is the only way to do that by studio trickery?

Comment

It sounds kind of like a harmonic note run through a whammy pedal.

Comment

Yeah, could be...Kirk also uses the Digitech Whammy and Space Station pedals too.

Comment

The Space Station, that's the yellow XP pedal I couldn't remember the name of. I do have the red XP100 Whammy/Wah. Maybe I'll dig that out of the basement and mess around with it and see what it can do since I haven't used it in a long time because it sucks the tone right out of my amp.

Comment

Yeah, most guys use the first-issue Whammys or the newer reissue ones.

Comment

Working...
                    X