marshall jcm 900

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marshall jcm 900

there's a jcm 900 slx i think 100 watt at gutar center use perfect condition for 700 bucks.is it any good

Re: marshall jcm 900

Not exactly a "great" deal, unless you have the dough to just drop. They can be had cheaper.

I'm not that much of a fan. But, was actually able to coax some good sounds out of my pair of 900s I had for a couple years in comparision to the DSL 100 I had here for a while.

I did run a bit of outboard EQ to get them cool though.

An early 6550 vertical input single channel 800 would be much cooler.

[ October 28, 2003, 07:28 PM: Message edited by: Cleveland Metal ]

Comment

whats the diif between the horizontal and vertical inputs.is there a tone difference.also can 2 peeps playthrough the amp at once

Comment

If you want an 800, find an old 2203 (100watt) 2204 (50watt) vertical input jack, single channel 1981-1983 master volume one with 6550 tubes etc if you can (getting rare).

After that in the mid 80s, they changed power supply design in the 2204 (the 2203 followed later),increasing noise and changing the tone to a more thin sound and also eventually went to PCB mounted controls (Horizontal input) and EL34 tubes.

The later dual channel 800s 2210 (100watt) 2205 (50 watt) had a bit more gain somewhat, some diode are induced, but retain the bogus power supply design and the clean (if you can call it that) channel crosstalked a lot with the gain channel and those amps didn't sound as good as the older single channel ones at high volumes.

Umm, I wouuldn't say it's a great idea for two people to play through it at the same time...

[ October 28, 2003, 07:55 PM: Message edited by: Cleveland Metal ]

Comment

where can i find an old 2203 in mint condition

Comment

I have a JCM 900 SL-X 100 watt and was talking to my local Guitar Center about trading it in on a JCM 2000 TSL and was told that my JCM 900 was only worth $400 (and all they could sell it for) and they would only give me $290 for a trade in. I decided to keep my JCM 900 and not try to deal with Guitar Center.

Comment

can the jcm 800 2203 sound like the 1959slp

Comment

Prsk87 why do you ask the same questions over and over again in every thread you make? If you want a 1959SLP so bad, then buy one.

As far as the JCM 900 goes, I've heard 3 guys get great results from them. The few I've tried were ok, but I am just not a Marshall guy I guess.

Comment

Buy a Rhino Blackstar or the Engle Blackmore. There.. done..That is the tone you are looking for. Isn't it?

Comment

Possibly look for the transistion JMP-JCM models if you seek a crossover of the SLP and the early master vol 800's.

Those Marshalls made in '77-80 had the faceplate of the JMP's mixed with the 2 input, master vol and the larger logo's and case style of the JCM series. Some early models still had 4 inputs and the switches found on the older JMP's MK 2's.

'76 JMP
                    '77 on ebay

Snag em while you can, these are usually nice 100 watt 4 input heads.

Not sure is this is what Cleve is talking about.. the early 80's JCM's are cool too. I consider these still JMP's with crossover styling & circuit.

I seen them go in the 500.00 range.. sometimes higher depending on condition.

[ October 30, 2003, 11:07 AM: Message edited by: charvelguy ]

Comment

Oh man..those Engl Blackmore's are expensive tho!
                      I've heard the Rhino's are nice..haven't tried one yet.

Comment

I haven't either. The 3 amps I am currently interested in are:
                        Engle Blackmore
                        Rhino Blackstar
                        Carvin Legacy

There is nowhere around here to demo any of these.

Comment

i thought carvin had some sort of a 10 day trial period going on?

Originally posted by jgcable:
                          I haven't either. The 3 amps I am currently interested in are:
                          Engle Blackmore
                          Rhino Blackstar
                          Carvin Legacy

There is nowhere around here to demo any of these.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
                          1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

i want to know if the 800 is more like a 1959slp with more gain.my dad had a plexi 50 watt head and the ax cabs for about 1000 bucks for the package.back in the early 70s.

Comment

Tis the question many of us have spend many hours and bucks trying to answer.

A JCM900 will not sound like a JMP in my humble opinion...but there are varying degrees of JMP and JCM's which is what were trying to point out.
                              Maybe you should try a JMP-1 preamp and see if you like that.

Comment

Working...
                              X