• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EQ Question ART Dual tube parametric

How are these units? Any experience?

[ October 29, 2003, 10:12 PM: Message edited by: buzzsaww ]
    1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Re: EQ Question ART Dual tube parametric

Read the last post there, maybe that will tell you a bit. Matt is pretty experienced with them. He'll probably post when he sees this.

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubb/noncgi/...;f=12;t=001226

[ October 30, 2003, 06:56 AM: Message edited by: Cleveland Metal ]

Comment

Actually, John, both Matt and I used them in our rigs for several years. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] He went looking for a decent parametric for guitar, the guy at Veneman's recommended it, he bought one, and I bought one about three weeks later after hearing his a couple of times. (If that's not a product testimonial, I don't know what is.)

(Note - we both had the half-rack single version of this. The full rack stereo version is simply two of these units in a rack box.)

It's a very "musical" EQ, that's really good for guitar. The high and low controls are shelving, but they're centered OK for guitar, as long as you don't get carried away with them. (The high can get very shrill - depending on your amp, of course - so use it sparingly.)

The two parametric mid bands - they don't have a "Q" control, just frequency and boost/cut - work very well with every guitar amp I used it with.

I recommend these EQs to everyone who's looking for one. While not as flexible, it sounds much better than the widely-praised Rocktron Pro-Q, which is what I switched from.

Mike

[ October 30, 2003, 07:36 AM: Message edited by: Michael ]
      Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

I bought Matt's old half-rack ART Tube EQ. I just wasn't getting the results I wanted from graphic EQ pedals, but wanted something I could still fit on my pedalboard. I've been happy with it so far, using it to thicken up my tone when playing through solidstate amps. The only downside is that it's a little noisy, but my Rocktron HUSH clears that right up.
        sigpic

Comment

Since everything I'd say has already been said, I'll add this:

From what I've read, the full rack space version can be run either as a stereo version with both sides having shelving high and low, and wto sweepable mid bands, or as a mono unit with high and low shelving and four sweepable mid bands.

Inazone: I'm glad that EQ is working out for you... I've actaully thought about getting another one to play with...
          ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

They're under $200 new, I think I sold mine for around $100, but I *really* don't remember.... Inazone might remember
            ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

What's the difference between a parametric and a graphic equalizer? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Actually, according to ART's website, they don't make them anymore, but they're always around used.

As for the Parametric/Graphic question, I can't find a good link - anyone want to take a swing at it? I know what the differences are, but I'm not sure I can explaing them in a way that will make sense.

Mike
                Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

I believe www.harmony-central.com has a description of parametric EQs in the Effects section.

As for price, I believe I bought Matt's ART for $100-120, somewhere in that ballpark. In addition to the Tube EQ, I own two Xtreme pedals, an Extreme plus, and a rackmount ProVerb. I also had an FX-1 that mysteriously died after a couple of years in storage. What a shame, because in its nowhere-near-"true" bypass mode, it gave my amp the most accurate Possessed distortion sound I've ever heard. Also, I'll mention that Thom Davis is possibly the most helpful and efficient tech support people I've ever dealt with. I don't know if he's still with ART or not, but he's a real professional.
                  sigpic

Comment

cool, thanks all, the guy just sold it so i'll have to keep an eye out for another one.

Comment

cool, thanks guys, whats a good price for one in good condition?

Comment

Working...
                      X