preamp companion to teh 5150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• preamp companion to teh 5150

my brother has a 5150...major death metal levels of distortion. we're also running an egnater IE4/mesa 50/50 power amp set up for guitar number 2 in our band.

needless to say...these amps don't compliment eachother. the egnater has way too much mids in it. What would be a good preamp for us to look into? looking in the price range of 600-1000 dollars since we'd be selling the egnater to get it anyway.

something comparable to the 5150 as far as saturation/drive go....that's all we really ask.

Re: preamp companion to teh 5150

Here is a possible inexpensive solution.. and hell, if ya don't like it, one of your guitar players will fight over it.

Try a Boss DS1 or HM2..

BUT!
    Send it to Robert Keeley Electronics.
    He does all the work for Vai and satriani's boss pedal..
    That's why they sound so great!

And this solution will cost you only 15 to 210 area.

Give it a shot!

I have a ds1 star mod I bought and I am WAY impressed!

I run it in front of my Mesa dual recto solo head for extra on rhythms and definitely on leads..
    You would think you have a sustainer and even an octavizer in the guitar with the some of these mods that are done!

My hat all off to Keeley electronics!!

And turn around time is pretty fast as he is located in OK...

Comment

sorry that should read between 125 and 210.00

[ October 31, 2003, 02:31 AM: Message edited by: vwall guitars ]

Comment

A Carvin Quad X preamp would do the trick.

Comment

we're trying to get away from teh butt rock sound of the egnater.

alot of reviews I've read on the quad X have said it has that "great 80's metal tone"

We want that great swedish metal tone. more or less.

is the carvin capable of that really?

Comment

Hey vwall guitars!,
            Do you mean the SD-1 star mod? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] or
            the DS-1 seeing eye mod?
            Just would like you to clairify please! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

what about teh rocktron prophesy, voodu-valve, JMP-1, or VHT GP-3. which one of those can compare to the brutality of a 5150 head? The carvin quad X too. I don't want to rule anything out.

Comment

Nothing else but a 5150 or better a Uberschall..

Just sell a kidney and buy an Uber..

Well I know a JMP-1 works OK with a BBE 422...to keep up with the girth of the 5150..The voodoo valve is darker and Crunchier but it doesn't like the BBE ...and without it you'll lack that thump the 5150 has..

Nah Drip forget what I said ..The JMP-1 is a total 80's sound ...VH / Oliva / COB at best...it's not what your lookin for.

I'd say Recto (yuk) or another 5150 (yep)....or better yet ...an Uber (oh yeah) ....I know the tone your lookin' for ...I have it and you'd like it

For a cheap fix ...I go extreme pedal ..Metal Zone (harsh) ..Korg Hyper distortions are very cool..TS9 turbo ..along those lines..that would be a cheap fix ....but you won't be happy.

You know what ..I take that back the other day I was playin' my Marshall setup ...I was doin' Terror 2000 crap and was nailin' it ....hmmmmmm...Sometimes brutality is the way you attack the strings ....that's what I was doin' and diggin' it.

[ November 02, 2003, 05:10 AM: Message edited by: horns666 ]
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Just get another 5150 and eq it a bit different. Try a Ge-7 and an ns-2 in the fx loop. IMO it did the DM thing better than anything else in its price range. Buy it all used for less than $500 US if you keep lurking on ebay.

Sell the egntr and buy 2 of these setups! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] AND you will still have the power amp if you need to slave the heads for more POWER!!!! Or sell the power amp and go and get some righteous cabinets and speakers... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

[ November 02, 2003, 06:47 AM: Message edited by: Firebird V ]

Comment

damn... edit time sux bad here.

The reason I would go with the 5150 because you are happy with the one you have already. It will be money well spent compared to the buyin and trying and not finding what you need. Then selling for less than what you bought it for and doing it all over and over (repeat this line several times).

Thats it. I am done. My 2 pennies.

Comment

if it was me buying a new amp I'd probably get another 5150...but its not.

He doesn't want to scrap his rack set up for some reason, just the egnater IE4, because it does not have the type of gain we need.

I am not a rack fan, I have a gp 1000....it sucks. When my brother has nnear enough money for an ENGL Powerball, I'm going to give him the rest of the money he needs and I"ll be the one with the 5150. So our gear will consist of:

Powerball, 5150 and whatever Will decides to get.

right now and last summer it was 5150, egnater/mesa rack, and a line 6 flextone II. we'll be selling teh line 6 in december most likely.

Comment

Originally posted by MSGfan:
                        Hey vwall guitars!,
                        Do you mean the SD-1 star mod? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] or
                        the DS-1 seeing eye mod?
                        Just would like you to clairify please! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">hey, sorry bout the confusion..

it was indeed the the DS-1 seeing eye mod

Sweet sweet sweet!!

Scott

Comment

Thanks Scott!,
                          Yeah, Robert Keeley does great Tubescreamer mods! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] Better sounding than Analogman!
                          I gotta' get my DS-1 modded by Keeley! I've heard nothing but great reviews on the seeing eye mod! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

that'd be something for one of the board tech heads to build up. a rack mounted 5150 styled preamp, mmmmmmm tasty!
                            1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

Working...
                            X