Suggestions for packing/shipping an amp head, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for packing/shipping an amp head, please

I found a buyer for me Mesa DC5 head and he's near the east coast. I've never shipped an amp head before and I don't want to pay thru the nose at Mailboxes Etc.

What type of packing material should I use? Styrofoam corners, peanuts, etc???

Where do you all get your boxes for shipping? I was thinking of hitting up a store in my area that has Boogies and see if I can get a Mesa shipping box.

I do plan to remove the tubes and wrap them individually as well.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Suggestions for packing/shipping an amp head, please

When I shipped a head, I wrapped it pretty damn good in bubble wrap. I'd suggest maybe some bubble wrap and corners, or the peanuts and corners. or maybe one layer of bubble wrap, peanuts and the corners.

Comment

The works. I you don't feel good about throwing it across your garage the way you have it packed, it ain't good enough.

Comment

I've received four different amp heads over the past year and all have been packed differently. One had form fitting styrofoam around it, one was in a box that was just full of peanuts, one was in a bigass box stuffed with newspaper, and another was bubble wrapped in peanuts. None had any damage whatsoever. Two were UPS and two were USPS.

Use a slightly bigger box than you think you need, wrap the thing in bubble wrap, then fill the box up nice and tight with peanuts. You can't go wrong that way.

Comment

It's also a good idea to remove the tubes and wrap them separately.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the responses.

Comment

I'd seal the head in a plastic trash bag or such before packing peanuts in around it. I can imagine a few peanuts melting down when you crank it up a the other end could cause some damage that the buyer'd
              be pissed about. I agree with those who said pack the tubes separately too, in bubble wrap.

If the music store doesn't have or won't give you a box, hardsware stores like Home Depot and appliance stores have big
              sturdy boxes; you can cut 'em down to fit and tape the hell out of 'em.

Here we have a place caller Craters and Freighters that pack way better than MBE!
              For $20 they packed a Carvin X-60 head for me with heavy foam wrap and a super heavy duty box, for $20. That's a lot, but it was going to Bolivia, so I figured
              spend the extra $. Since it was APO the actual freight was only $29 with insurance; total $49 with packing and USPS Parcel Post, insured for $300. Took almost a month to get there, but that's APO shipping; slooooowwww!
              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X