shipping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shipping?

well im thinkn about getting a head and cab.....off ebay..and well..im worried about shipping being a major *****.... i mean..i will live with a 100 bucks shipping but anything past that is just..kinda...depressing........i dont really know what its gonnna be .can you guys give me an idea.... DAMN SHIPPING AND HANDLING TO HELL!!!!!

Re: shipping?

A tube head sent through Fed Ex packed the way I do, was around 46 bucks last time I sent one. I never send cabs, but, quotes I've received range from 75-100 bucks for shipping.

Comment

Don't send heavy s**t FedEx. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I've received a ton of amp stuff over the past year or so and shipping has never been more than about $25 for a head. USPS and UPS can actually be trusted with anything too heavy for one person to easily toss around. As long as it's packed right it will survive.

It shouldn't cost more than about $50-75 to ship a cabinet. Just put it in a box and let it go. That's how my Carvin cabinet arrived. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Well, I priced UPS and FedEx for the size of the box and the weight, Fed Ex was cheaper.

I get custom boxes cheap. I double or triple box them. One is the exact size of the amp, the the next 3" all sides bigger for peanuts, and the next box also about 3" all sides bigger for peanuts. So, it was probably oversized. I use Fed Ex Pretty much exclusively.

I DO NOT want any problems with a tube head that I ship out Ebay. better to spend a little extra shipping than to figure out how to get it fixed from some arse dropping it and breaking it. It gets all I can do to protect it.

Comment

Originally posted by PoisonGodmachine:
          well im thinkn about getting a head and cab.....off ebay..and well..im worried about shipping being a major *****.... i mean..i will live with a 100 bucks shipping but anything past that is just..kinda...depressing........i dont really know what its gonnna be .can you guys give me an idea.... DAMN SHIPPING AND HANDLING TO HELL!!!!!
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well having been this route before. I have received many damaged/unworking heads and a couple damaged cabs/combo's. Unless the guy packing really knows how to pack well enough to withstand an attack from a gorilla...I would shy away. However, in light of the fact you're kinda set on buying..maybe you should do some research into how a cab needs to be packed in addition to the reasonable cost factor. I personally think a cab should not run more than 50-100 unless depending if loaded or unloaded. The head shouldn't run more than another 25-40.00 depending on weight/size. You might want to email the individual and see what they have in mind. I've had the weirdest things happen. I had a guy ship an old JMP in a newer marshall factory carton and it arrived with the faceplates all bent to crap and the head unworking because 2 out of 3 chassis bolts on the case came loose.

Peanuts are pretty worthless in these heavy objects. Use foam blocks like they use in new equipment audio or computer stuff and extra reinforcment from flat cardboard on the sides.

If you do win, make sure the person understands the concept of tight chassis bolts. Of correctly mounted speakers (meaning a heavy magnet like on an EV speaker will not withstand a standard 4 screw mount) and making sure there's enough SOLID packing material to prevent excessive shifting.

[ November 04, 2003, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: charvelguy ]

Comment

I've shipped lotsa heads the way i described, and never one problem. Peanuts, crammed well/tightly, and multi boxed, is more cushioning than styro blocks.

Comment

Sweet mother of mercy, dude! No wonder you spend a fortune on shipping! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] That would almost piss me off, having to open that damn many boxes to get to my new stuff. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

YEah, After my neighbor seeing a driver toss my 70 pound VHT 2150 4 ft off his truck and roll it 60 feet to my door... I now pack like Fort Knox...

You choice, I pack like a dumass, and you get a broken head, and I say oh well, sucks to be you? Or, I pack like a nutcase, and you get a perfect piece... I choose nutcase, hahaha...

Comment

Not critiquing your method personally John as I believe I was writing my post just as yours posted. I still happen to think that peanuts will still shift unless you pack em really well. I happen to hate peanuts on the whole. Unless you wrap the amp in a bag, they break up and get inside the nooks and crannies of your chassis. I hate that! Takes hours to disassemble and vacuum that crap all out.

The main point is that it gets there in one piece and works. Sounds like your packing is done fine. There are just guys who do not give a crap.

[ November 05, 2003, 12:46 AM: Message edited by: charvelguy ]

Comment

double

[ November 05, 2003, 12:45 AM: Message edited by: charvelguy ]

Comment

Yeah, I use a bag too. I had to to dismantle a set of studio monitors to vacuum out peanuts and was pissed, haha.. I forgot to mention it...

Usually the first box is exactly the size of the head anyways and gets no peanuts.

Yeah, if you pack them tight, they go nowhere, you definitely can't just casually toss a head into a box of peanuts. They do shift unless crammed in small areas between boxes.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal:
                        YEah, After my neighbor seeing a driver toss my 70 pound VHT 2150 4 ft off his truck and roll it 60 feet to my door... I now pack like Fort Knox...

You choice, I pack like a dumass, and you get a broken head, and I say oh well, sucks to be you? Or, I pack like a nutcase, and you get a perfect piece... I choose nutcase, hahaha...
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Never truer words have been spoken!!! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
                        You hit the nail on the head CM!!! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                        It's not the shipping service you need to worry about as much,..It's how well the item is packed!! BTW, FedEx is ridiculously cheaper than UPS!!
                        Hey!,..That's my saying!!(I pack like Fort Knox!)

Comment

Worthy advice! I'm getting ready to ship one and will be using the "double box" method. (bubblewrap head and tubes / inner box, peanuts in the outer box)

Comment

Working...
                          X