Svetlana or JJ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Svetlana or JJ?

Well,I've already ordered a couple of Svetlana 6l6gc [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ,but I wonder if there are any differences between these two brands?

Re: Svetlana or JJ?

Personally, I prefer the Svets...

Comment

Great,Svets got more headroom right?

Comment

i prefer the svet's.
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

i've got svets in my XXX
          1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

The Svets sound brighter, glassier, and more open... where the JJ's sound darker & more compressed... this was based on using both types in my Dual Recto, so your mileage may vary depending on what amp they are used in. Both are great tubes IMHO.

Comment

Thanks guys,I think I should have the tubes the next week,then the problem will be...bias! [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

Comment

The Svetlana's do have more headroom than the JJ's. that's how they're made.

Comment

I knew I liked them for some reason [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

So, I have the Mesa Svetlanas...I'm curious what you think I should get for my Triaxis and 50/50...I had these other tubes, I think Electro-Harmonix 6L6's, and the Mesa ones crushed them...much louder, fuller, more headroom and all...so I'm a little wary to stray from them. Plus, you get people who say Mesa tubes suck, and others who tell you that Mesa amps are picky, and that Mesa tubes are the most stable tubes. I was going to get Chinese 12ax7s, instead of the Mesa ones I have now, because I was talking with someone here about the tone of the Triaxis on that Amp Fest video, and he said that those Chinese ones would get you closer, and even the tube store says they're classic Marshall tubes...so I think I could try them. But what about power tubes? Thanks for the input...

Cheers,
                    Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Misanthrope189:
                      So, I have the Mesa Svetlanas...I'm curious what you think I should get for my Triaxis and 50/50...I had these other tubes, I think Electro-Harmonix 6L6's, and the Mesa ones crushed them...much louder, fuller, more headroom and all...so I'm a little wary to stray from them. Plus, you get people who say Mesa tubes suck, and others who tell you that Mesa amps are picky, and that Mesa tubes are the most stable tubes. I was going to get Chinese 12ax7s, instead of the Mesa ones I have now, because I was talking with someone here about the tone of the Triaxis on that Amp Fest video, and he said that those Chinese ones would get you closer, and even the tube store says they're classic Marshall tubes...so I think I could try them. But what about power tubes? Thanks for the input...

Cheers,
                      Nick
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm pretty sure Mesa tubes are just re-labelled Chinese tubes anyway. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

The Mesa ones are Sovtek...which is Russian, right?

Cheers,
                        Nick

Comment

Mesa 430 or 420 are sovtek... I can't remember which ... The 450's are Svet tubes. I have a set of those in my rackmount head. I dont like JJ at all. I always use Svetlanna 6l6gc's

I do have a set of Sovtek 5881wxt's in my SLO though and I think they sound pretty good in there but it is brighter and more alive with the Svetlanna 6l6gc's tubes in there. The SLO is bright and glassy to begin with so....

Svetlannas are my tube of choice though. I think you are going to like them if you are looking for alot of headroom and crisp/bright top end.

Comment

Whatever you buy, just don't get them through MESA. They just rebrand stuff and mark up the cost quite a large percentage.

Their preamp tube suck usually too.

The older chinese "cheese grater getter" tubes are pretty good sounding, along with JJ or Ruby tubes.

I use an assortment of tube brands in different positions in my CAE3+se in my tone crafting. You can change a lot in your sound with just the preamp tubes. Stay away from the the common Sovtek tubes, although they do have some premium ones that aren't and I actually use a certain rating sovtek in my preamp for my distortion sound. I also use the above mentioned Chinese tube and some newer chinese, a couple RCA 7025s also.

Check out this site here as it has some great input on tubes..

http://www.watfordvalves.com/testreports.htm

Comment

Thanks! Is there a lower output or lower gain 12ax7 I could use...is it a 12au7 or something like that, for my clean channel, because it's just a tiny bit overdriven...and maybe a lesser gain 12ax7 would get rid of that. Where can I buy the Svetlana's? the tube store doesn't have them.

Thanks,
                              Nick

Comment

Working...
                              X