preamp input jack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• preamp input jack

i'm currently using a rocktron bass mAXE preamp and the input jack is losing contact with the cord.it will cut out during playing and i wiggle the cord and it will come back.i took the cover off and it's a three contact jack directly on the circuit board. any ideas on how to clean the contacts and or make them tighter.and where i could get a replacement jack? thanks guys
    The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Re: preamp input jack

Being that it is a circuit board mounted jack, odds are reasonable that there may be a cold or damaged solder joint on its connection to the board. This due to the stresses imposed from these types of jacks being tweaked a lot.

You might take a quick hit with a soldering iron to each joint of the jack.

If the jack is bad, although I'm sure you "could" likely find that jack somewhere, you'd probably be able to source the exact one quickly from Rocktron service. You can contact them through the http://www.Rocktron.com site.

Depending on the construction of the unit and your level of handiness, you might be well served to install a different style jack and wire it to the board to relieve that stress of the input jack being mounted to the board.

Bad idea on their behalf doing it like that as far as longetivity of service.

Comment

thanks c/m, how would you wire a regular jack as it has 6 solder points and three contacts?

Comment

pete, yea i tried different cords, i took it apart today and resoldered the connections like john suggested so i'll know tomorrow if that fixed it. it would appear that it is a stereo jack but all jacks in it are like that so... thanks, robert

Comment

Well, I'm not an 'expert" tech dude by any means. But, it's probably some type of typical input jack that grounds out when you pull the plug, hence three contacts. I'd just trace what is tip and what is sleeve. May take some multi meter testing as to what goes where inside the jack. Not sure why it is 6 connections, but, there can only be two feeds... Tip and Sleeve.

Typically, Rocktron "might" just send you the part. They are pretty good guys in the service area.

Comment

Originally posted by peabuddy:
            thanks c/m, how would you wire a regular jack as it has 6 solder points and three contacts?
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If it has six solder joints, then it's likely a switching jack and it's stereo for whatever reason. Have you tried another CORD yet? Problem may just be in that end of it...

Pete

Comment

just wanted to say thanks cleveland metal for the rocktron addy. you were right jim sent me an email wanting my address so he could send me a jack!pretty cool of them to help like that. there's not a lot of companys that would care about a customer that bought their product almost ten years ago! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
              X