Marshall 6100 LM Anniversary Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall 6100 LM Anniversary Head

Guys, I did a search but nothing came up for the Marshall 6100 30th anniversary head. I got my hands on one and was wondering what anyone thought of this model. Anyone here own one now or in the past and feel like commenting on it? I'm a pretty straight forward amp kinda guy, and there's a lot you can do with this thing (the back panel alone is loaded with options!). Just wondering if anyone can comment on various tone and what not they get from it. Also, what might the market value be on these? Thanks to all in advance!
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Re: Marshall 6100 LM Anniversary Head

Joe, I had the combo version 6101 and I thought it was a cool little amp. Never played thru the head version though. Joe Satriani uses these heads and they are shown in his Live in S.F. DVD.

I have the manual and the footpedal for sale if you are interested.

JOHN

Comment

Hey Joe - I have the Marshall 6100 LE Limited Brass head version of this that I bought new in 92. In my opinion, it is one of the most versatile amps ever made! I mean, you can go from Super Lead to JCM 900 in the blink of an eye. MIDI, direct XLR outs, speaker emulation, effects loops, valve failure indicators, 3 discrete channels....its got it all! I was actually thinking of selling mine, but I am not sure yet. I don't know which one you have (blue or black) but the blue ones came out in 92 and are worth more money than the black ones - probably right around a grand. The brass one like I have was extremely limited (700 made), and it is quite collectible. Hope that helps...

Comment

i used to really like this amp......i wonder if id like itnow.....theblue ones were slightly different than the black ones, i think the black ones had different tubes or something.....i always wanted to have one.....

if you sell that brass head id be interested in it

Comment

I will keep you in mind if I decide to sell it. I was thinking about putting it on the 'bay to see if it garnered any attention. I am thinking Marshall collectors will probably jump at it, but it's hard to tell sometimes.

Comment

I've always wanted one of those!! I believe WarriorX7 used to have one of them at one time and said it was really cool. I believe he told me that they get pretty hot, though. I also remember reading about the overheating problem and that some were prone to blowing up... maybe that was just the combos? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

From the few times I have played it in my house, it doesn't seem to run any hotter than normal... perhaps it was the combos, since they didn't have a vent like the head does....?

Well, Joe... should I add you to the list of people to contact if and when I decide to move it? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] This thing has never left my house and it's still kept in the original box, mint. Let me know.

Comment

Thanks, guys! I tried it out at practice tonight and it sounded wonderfully. I was an all tube guy in my early years (Marshall JCM 800's, Bogner, VHT, Soldano) but sold 'em all when I fell in love with the Roland Jazz Chorus. DOn't laugh, I have two of the JC-120 heads each running a Roland JC-120 4X12 cabinet and the sound is truly amazing, full stereo spread. The tube warmth of the Marshall 6100 is also nice, but there's still something missing when you play in stereo, mono just doesn't ever cut it again!

Funny thing is, I can't get a good sound with just the head. So, I set the clean 1st channel up and run my effects pedals directly into the amp's input. Sounds very tight, I have missed that Marshall crunch.

Yes, they run HOT! It felt (and smelled) like I was cooking something at practice! Sorta like a miniature heater going on, it could certainly make one sweat! I have a JCM 900 1960 stereo cabinet that sounds great with this head, but the white pipette binding on the cabinet sorta clashes with the gold binding of the head. By the way, I happen to have the black one. Were there tonal differences in the brass plated/blue ones? Mine has four 5881 tubes with seven AX-7's.
                "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                Gotta get away from here.
                Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I bought the full stack, all 3 limited edition pieces with the solid brass logos and gold chasis head back when new. They've been sitting in my living room since new, never left the house. Versital yes, crunchy and "metallic" NO, not even close. I use mine basically as a power amp and run a tube Digitech Valve FX and BBE Sonic Maximizer thru it. Wonderful beautiful amp but you'll never do Metallica straight thru it. Mine has never run hot and never had a problem with it.

Comment

yeah definately let me know when you decide.....its always hard to tell with the marshall collectors when it comes to modern amps...its good to test the waters though to see what its worth

Comment

That's weird, Greg... I never had a problem getting a Metallica tone out of it. I just set it on channel two with both gain stages activated, and turn the gain up to about 3 oclock. Then, use the compression (mid shift) switch, EQ it up, and turn the mofo up to 5 or 6 and blast! I used a BBE with it sometimes, too. I think its great for metal, personally.

[ November 13, 2003, 08:25 AM: Message edited by: Brian ]

Comment

Working...
                      X