$600.00???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $600.00???

Ok, say you got $600.00 to spend on an amp head. You already have plenty of speaker cabinets. Now lets suppose you are a shredder from the 80's who loves to play all the rippin 80's stuff along with the newer Disturbed, Godsmack, COB type stuff too. What amp head would you buy?

Re: $600.00???

Used 5150....
    Used Soldano HR50....

[ November 11, 2003, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: toddstaples ]
    "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

Soldano SP-77
      ADA MP-1 or 2
      Rocktron Pirannah
      Marshall JCM-800

Just some thoughts [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I'd go for a Marshall JCM-800 but if you want a Disturbed/Godsmack tone you might as well save a little more and get a Mesa.

Comment

What do you think of the Randall Warhead? I demo'd one last night and it has the most gain of any amp I have ever tried. It is 300w SS and it is basically Pantera in a box! How about the Flextone 2HD now that they are dirt cheap. I had a 1986 Randall RG100ES-SS and I loved it. It was such a metal amp. 80's all the way!! I actually miss solid state since I sold it.

Comment

Blue Voodoo BV150 [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I once owned a Randall Cyclone before i got my VHT and Diezel and i loved my Cyclone it had balls to the wall distortion and had a nice clean. I played my friends Randall Warhead that he had running threw a EQ kinda like pantera and wow it had some brutal ass distortion , but i wasnt able to try it without the EQ.

Comment

The Randall Warhead that I played was voiced very well for 80's metal. It almost sounds like a modeling amp. It is a very specific sound and like I said earlier, it has more gain than anything I have ever played. The best way to describe the tone is that it sounded like a Marshall JCM800 with a Boss Metal Zone and a Boss GE-7 all dialed in for Pantera or Megadeth. I did nothing to EQ it. I just set all the controls flat and plugged in. The only downsides are versatility and loudness. Solid State just can't compare to tubes when it comes to sheer volume.

Comment

Personally I could not stand the warhead. There is a Musicians Friend return center near me and they have returned warheads stacked to the ceiling. I would go with the 5150 if you must have tubes. If you can get by the modeling stigma ( I'm so glad I did !!! ) go with te Line6 head. They have so many good sounds in them and load as hell !!!!

Comment

I think you are right. The Warhead most likely is the wrong choice. It seems that every person that has one returns or sells it soon after. I just read that Dimebag doesn't even use them. That stinks for sure. I think I am just gonna save up and get an HD147 or at least the Flextone 2HD. I really like the Line 6 product. The DuoVerb looks interesting too.

Comment

Tech21 Trademark 120

oops.. you said head

[ November 12, 2003, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: Jerry From Ghana ]

Comment

Hey Gus, I tried the Trademark 10 and I was totally impressed. I have been a SansAmp fan for many years and have used their direct boxes forever. How is the Trademark 120? Does it have speaker outs?

Comment

used single rectifier trem-0-verb
                          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Can you explain the difference between a single/ dual and triple and what exactly is a single tremoverb. Does it have tremelo and reverb? I have never noticed much of a difference in gain between a single, dual or triple when the gain is dimed out on them.

Comment

Single Rectifier head

50 Watts, Class A/B Power / 2x6L6, 5x12AX7

Bias Select Switch (6L6/EL34)

2 Channels, 5 Modes (Channel 1=Clean or Pushed, Channel 2=Raw, Vintage High Gain or Modern High Gain)

Independent Gain, Bass, Mid, Treble, Presence and Master Controls per Channel

Output Level Control (over all channels)

Solo Level Control

Parallel FX Loop w/Mix Control

Slave Out

2 Button Footswitch (Channel & Solo)

NO Variac or Rectifier tube section in the output section

Dual Rectifier (newer) head...

100 Watts, Class A/B Power / 4x6L6, 5x12AX7, 2x5U4

3 Fully Independent Channels with 8 modes (Channel 1=Clean or Pushed, Channel 2= Raw, Vintage High Gain or Modern High Gain, Channel 3=Raw, Vintage High Gain or Modern High Gain

Output Level Control (over all channels, when activated)

Solo Level Control (over all channels, when activated)

Rectifier Select Switch (Tube/Silicon Diodes)

Bold/Spongy “Variac” Switch

Assignable Parallel FX Loop w/Send & Mix Level Controls

Slave Out with Level Control

External Switching Jacks for Channels 1, 2, 3, Solo & FX Loop

5 Button Footswitch (Channel 1, Channel 2, Channel 3, Solo & FX

Triple Rectifier

150 Watts, Class A/B Power / 6x6L6, 5x12AX7, 3x5U4

3 Fully Independent Channels with 8 modes (Channel 1=Clean or Pushed, Channel 2= Raw, Vintage High Gain or Modern High Gain, Channel 3=Raw, Vintage High Gain or Modern High Gain

Output Level Control (over all channels, when activated)

Solo Level Control (over all channels, when activated)

Bold/Spongy “Variac” Switch

Assignable Parallel FX Loop w/Send & Mix Level Controls

Slave Out with Level Control

External Switching Jacks for Channels 1, 2, 3, Solo & FX Loop

5 Button Footswitch (Channel 1, Channel 2, Channel 3, Solo & FX loop)

Tremoverb Dual rectifier

OLDER SERIES

Discontinued and has 2 channels plus the Channel cloning feature which will let you either have 2 clean or 2 dirty channels instead of the newr three channel heads... Also does not have a solo boost...

Here are the features though.
                              100 Watts, Class A/B Power / 4x6L6, 6x12AX7, 2x5U4

Bias Select Switch (6L6/EL-34)

2 Channels, 4 Modes (Clean, Vintage High Gain, Blues & Modern High Gain)

Independent Gain, Bass, Mid, Treble, Presence, Reverb and Master Controls per Channel
                              Channel Cloning
                              Bold/Spongy "Variac" Switch

Spring Reverb

Assignable Tremolo w/Speed & Depth Controls
                              Parallel FX Loop w/Send & Mix Level Controls

1 Button Footswitch (Channel Select)

Keep in mind that the older Dual Rectifiers are more like the Tremoverb head without the Trem and Reverb features...

That's it!

[ November 12, 2003, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: Firebird V ]

Comment

Working...
                              X