The VHT UL has landed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The VHT UL has landed...

I just received my brand-new, factory-fresh VHT Ultralead with Graphic EQ today (it has that new amp smell to it... like the new car smell, but better [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ). I only had about an hour to test it because the UPS guy came late and my neighbors are now home. The UL has 3 channels (clean, rhythm, & lead) and about a million boost, edge, & shift switches to it. I was looking basically for the ultimate modern metal lead/solo tone, and I think I've found it. Other contenders were the Bogner XTC (101b & Classic), Soldano SLO, the Diezels (VH4 & Herbert) and the Engl Savage (which was the runner up). I never have liked the Soldano high-end fizz/sizzle tone (and still don't), the Diezels are very nice (I actually like the VH4 better than the Herbert- it had more of a Marshall flavor to it) but sounded too sterile and processed to me. They have a 2-D tone to them; sounds like something is missing from the tone. The Bogner XTC is a great amp in either format (101b or Classic), but it is a vintage voiced high-gain amp (the EQ wasn't agressive enough and I already own an Überschall) so... after trying the others, the thing that sold me on the VHT was 1) the great fluid lead tone, 2) the versatility, and 3) the build quality it's bullet-proof. I haven't even begun to check out all the features. The note-for-note articulation is unmatched. The tone is best described (in my mind) as a modified Marshall JCM800 2203 with KT88s... with a ton of gain (but not saturated as to sound muddy like a Recto can) and bus-load of low end added. The tone is very open and huge. Many say the VHT tone is similar to a modified HiWatt tone which is definitely not the case with the UL in my mind. I've played plenty of HiWatts (DR103, DR103OL, DR504OL, DR103S, CP103, Lead 100, SE4122) and none sound like the UL IMHO (maybe a slight similarity on the clean channel, but that's it). The clean channel is vey good, better than what I expected. It has no gain pot, but you have boost & bright switches. The orange (rhythm) channel definitely has the JCM800 flavor to it. The red (lead) channel is pure sweet metal solo heaven. The lead channel has plenty of gain (w/ or w/o the boost) with great note definition. I would have bought the amp for this channel alone. The UL will be joining my Bogner Überschall to hopefully form the ultimate metal lead/rhythm combo. A few guys have been asking me to compare the Über to the UL, and the best way I can sum it up is to say the Über is the better heavy-modern rhythm amp while the UL is the ultimate modern metal lead/solo amp. Can the UL do heavy palm-mutes, sure... can you get a great lead tone from the Über... sure. But each excells at different things. So far I'm very pleased with the UL. I can't wait to really spend so time with this monster tommorrow and really crank it up.

Here are some pics:

Re: The VHT UL has landed...

as a sign of goodwill towards your fellow man, you should send me that uberschall...you won't be needing it anymore. I'll just hold on to it for you free of charge.

Comment

WOW! Congrats! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
      You've got some of the best Amp there.
      Bogner Uber and VHT Ultra Lead???

Now only the amp you will need is a Crate Solid State Combo.
      Kidding!
      [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by dinkyjacksonman:
        WOW! Congrats! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
        You've got some of the best Amp there.
        Bogner Uber and VHT Ultra Lead???

Now only the amp you will need is a Crate Solid State Combo.
        Kidding!
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I've still got my SS Marshall V65R to jam on. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Killer!!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Congrats , welcome to the club i have had mine for about 8 months now along with my herbert and i love my VHT .

Comment

Awesome amps. Can you send me the box. I've never smelled, let alone owned, a tube amp before! Congrats.

Comment

I like that tagline:

"Hand Built by Rockers in the USA"

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Congrats!!!

I bought a new VHT Ultra Lead last year that was supposed to be new..
                  Ended up being a GC floor model for 9 months..

They orderred me a new VHT that never came in so i dumped it and got a Mesa triple and Dual recto... Compared the 2 and eventually settled on the Dual.

Hindsighton the VHT, I would have gotten the CLX over the Ultra but Im way happy with my Mesa Dual and Keeley DS1 mod...

Rock on and enjoy that puppy!

Comment

Sweet!

Welcome to the club Ozz, i've had my UL for about 3 months now and i love it!

At the moment the UL is away being re-biased ( popped some KT-88 Svets in for good measure ), can't wait for it to return and neither can my neighbours [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Enjoy!

Steve

Comment

Congratulations , you are THE Wizard of great sounds now ,best amps out there today.

Comment

Originally posted by vwall guitars:
                        Congrats!!!

I bought a new VHT Ultra Lead last year that was supposed to be new..
                        Ended up being a GC floor model for 9 months..

They orderred me a new VHT that never came in so i dumped it and got a Mesa triple and Dual recto... Compared the 2 and eventually settled on the Dual.

Hindsighton the VHT, I would have gotten the CLX over the Ultra but Im way happy with my Mesa Dual and Keeley DS1 mod...

Rock on and enjoy that puppy!
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">They definitely are not the easiest amps to come by. I had this one on order for 3 months... so I was happy to get it to say the least. I also own a Dual Recto 3-Channel and the Recto is no slouch to say te least. The VHT has a different tone/voicing to it, so it would definitely compliment a Dual.

Comment

Congrats. VHTs are super cool. I hope to own a UL or CLX one day.

Comment

Originally posted by ColdVayne:
                            Congrats , welcome to the club i have had mine for about 8 months now along with my herbert and i love my VHT .
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">hey ColdVayne,

what kind of pickups are you using with your UL?
                            thanks

Comment

I am a EMG man and always will be [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X