tubage........need some new ones.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tubage........need some new ones.

got a 5150..... i like it a **** load but ive had it for a bout a year and a half....and it has all the stock tubes....i bought the bastard new...which i regret. spent 400 more then i should have...but...cant change the past ....anyway im going to bye some new tubes..and i was looking around and i saw that sovetek has got some called KT66 i thought they looked pretty badass...i always wanted kt88s..cause of all you guys who use vht poweramps think there gods gift to man...so i was just wondering what ya thought... what should i get for preamp tubes..too?

Re: tubage........need some new ones.

no offense, but i have owned three 5150 amps.. and truthfully, for the most part, no matter what you put in there the amp is still gonna have that buzzy sound.

it s a great amp.. dont get me worng but IMO very limited..

I still wouldnt hesitate to grab another for recording purposes at the right price...

Dont get too caught up in the tube hype... most of them are made by the same russian/chinese companies anyways...

Comment

are you talking abou tthe buzzy sound taht all but dissapeared when he turned it past 5 on the post gain? more opinions please!

This exact amp might turn into mine this summer, so I want to make sure it stays kickass...which it does. There was alot of fuzzy buzz when we first purchased it...but the last few months it's really settled down into a lethal death metal machine.

Comment

KT66's are supposed to be interchangeable with teh 6l6 tubes. any experiance with those?

Comment

Only one's I know of are the Shuguangs and the Sovtech, neither of which I would personlly spend money on. Although the Sovteck does get good reviews.

SED SVETLANA is the word.

Comment

The 5150 takes 6L6 tubes. You can't (easily) put KT88s in it.

I'd recommend SED (svetlana 6L6s in it. I've also used Tesla tubes when I used 5150 amps in the mid 90s.

Stay away from Sovtek power tubes and the 12ax7wa preamp tubes. Try the new chinese tubes, Tesla JJs or "maybe" the newer Electro Harmonix Spirals.

Comment

They basically "rebrand" other manufacturers products. They test them and rate them for "hardness" haha... I'd rather see a bias spec voltage.

Comment

svets all the way
                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

whats the problem with groovetubes? ive never tried them, but nobody seems to like/say anything about them. Do they really suck that bad?

Comment

Working...
                  X