Wireless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless

I'm thinking about going wireless. Do any of you use wireless guitar systems? If so, how do you like them? And is there one that is better than all the rest? Any and all opinions/suggestions will be greatly appreciated. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks in advance

Ken

Re: Wireless

And I also don't want to spend too much money on one. Thanks [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Well, I don't know from the best, but I currently use a Samson Airline Wireless system for four reasons:

First, they sound good. I've done extensive A/B'ing with the wireless and wired systems, using my Peavey MidiPro in my rack and my Whirlwind Selector with my combos so I can do one button aural comparisons. Yes, there is a difference, but it's very subtle - and I wire EVERYTHING with George L's in my rack and combo rigs (which is to say, I'm pretty tone-anal). Granted, you have to spend some time setting up your levels on the wireless to suit your rig, so it's not quite as plug'n'play as a good cable, but I mark my settings on the system so they're easy to find again if I lose them... Anyway, I wouldn't record with the wireless, but it's fine for live use.

Second, the form factor. I've had belt-pack wireless systems and they are such a pain in the butt - literally if you break the belt-clip on the thing and have to stuff it into the back pocket of your jeans... The Airlines tiny transmitter is great - it stays well out of the way, and eliminates the wires COMPLETELY!

Third, the price. You can - no doubt - buy a better wireless system for more money. Probably significantly more money. But wireless systems essentially replace a $20 wire, so how much are you willing to invest in them? I've heard it said that anything under a thousand dollars isn't a good wireless. I'm glad I'm not in that camp - the Airline is good enough for me.

Lastly, safety. Just like everyone else here, I've played in places with questionable wiring quality, and zapped myself by touching my lips to a mic while holding my guitar. The last time that happened the shock knocked about three feet through the air and left me sitting on my ass looking at the pretty birdies for a couple minutes... I figure that the price of a wireless system of any kind is cheap insurance against a potentially fatal electric shock. I always use a wireless system when playing out, now - and it gives me peace of mind, if nothing else...

'course, ymmv & etc. [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

i use a sennheiser eveolution. i like it a lot.
        best price i found for it was at wellspend.org.
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I'm looking around at all the different types and specs...so that I can at least educate myself a little.

I'll keep you posted on what I find.

Ken

Comment

I have yet to try a wireless that didn't suck the life right out of my sound.
            Until I can afford a truely top of the line system, I'll use a cable.

Comment

Sennheiser Evolution! It had over a thousand different UHF fequencys to choose, I NEVER have had it even come close to dropping out and both the transmitter and the receiver are made of metal.

It doesn't suck the tone like the shure or samson wireless that I had in the past either. I'm not sure of the cost, cause Sennheiser upgraded me to the evolution at no cost, because I was having(and apparantly them too) a LOT of problems with their Digital guitar system.

It sounded great, but their were reliability issues and they told me they couldn't get parts for them that easy,so stay away from the digital one.

Sennheiser is also an excellent CO. when it comes to customer service with their products. They sent me about 200.00 worth of accesories like a rack adapter and external antenaes for free.
              Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

I'm using the Sennheiser Digital 1000 and love it. In the post above, Rick mentioned probs with the Digital 1000. I had to send my 1st one back to Sennheiser because it started making weird sounds, but the new one they sent me (a few days later!) has been working flawlessly now for almost a year.

Rick, is the Evolution model really a upgrade from the Digital 1000? I thought the Digital 1000 was Sennheiser's best.

Anyway, the 1000 is TOTALLY noiseless, and sucks NO tone. Recommended. And I think they only go for $299 online.
                "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Comment

Originally posted by SweetPete:
                  I had to send my 1st one back to Sennheiser because it started making weird sounds, but the new one they sent me (a few days later!) has been working flawlessly now
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Those words may as well have come out of my own mouth because my experience with this same model was exactly the same.

Comment

Guys,

I sent my first one back and they gave me a brandnew one, it wokrked for 3 days before it just quit all together.

I totally agree that the thing sounded AWESOME WHEN it worked, but I have been so happy with the Evolution the yreplaced it with.

It is definately a LOT sturdier as the receiver is also made of metal and not plastic. The digital only has 4 selectable channels, the evolution has like 1028! It also has a little more control over the input sensitivity.

To be honest, I can't really tell if there is a major difference in the sound between the 2 models as my digital system was broken for a month before I got the evolution, but I love my tone, and it DOES NOT suck the high end out like the Shure guitarist system that I had.

I went outside and down the street and the thing never cut out on me.But I do have the optional anteanaes and it is mounted in my rack, so I don't know how much they helped with that.

Comment

I'm hearing alot of good things about Sennheiser. I am looking at both the Digital 1000 and the Evolution.

Rick: Are you using the EW172? There are different "Evolution" models, but I think this is the one for Guitar.

Anyway, thanks again guys. I was concerned with my tone losing something using the wireless, but it sounds like you guys using the Sennheiser Models dont have that problem. Just got to find the best price online now. [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Thanks

Ken

Comment

Ken,

I beleive that is the model # for it. It's in my rack at practice right now so I can't check, but I do remember checking the price on it a while ago and it wasn't too much more than the Digital 100 system.

If you would like call Sennheiser and ask for Alice in the customer service department. Ask her about the problems with the digital system and she what she has to tell you. Feel free to mention my name, and tell her that I told you she took really good care of me.

If she tells you that they have fixed the issues with the digital system, great, but when they were fixing mine, they were on backorder forever and she explained to me that they did not know when they were gonna come in and were haveing problems getting them. That's why they gave me the Evolution series at no extra charge.

Comment

Thanks Rick!

I appreciate it! I found an Evolution Model for about $350 on one site, but havent really done too much shopping around. And I will call Sennheiser to see what they have to say. Do they sell direct?..maybe I can save some money that way.

Again, thanks
                          Ken

Comment

Whats this talk about touching a mic and yoru guitar at the same tiem and getting shocked to hell?

I have heard of a situation like that, but I never thought it was true..just another basement rock n roll story.

What causes it, so I know to look out for a possible situation?

Is it generally safe to play guitar and grab the mic?

Comment

Ask Ace Frehley! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                              X