gp 1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gp 1000

Let's say I'm a cheap bastard I already own a Lee JAckson GP 1000 preamp. What is a good cheap way to turn this thing into a kick ass death metal rig.

I need suggestions for:

power amp
    pedals?

anything you'd think would imrpove this thing..for as little money as possible. It has a Nice Lead tone when I used it with a mesa 50/50 but it lacks utter brutality in rhythm tone.

Re: gp 1000

BTT

Comment

They have a few different versions of the perfect connection gp1000. Have you checked out the gain mods for it on the metalronix website? (if it's still up) Best bet is to either mod it, or eq it with a 6-15 band and drive it a pedal of choice.

Otherwise, sell it.

Comment

I was thinking along the lines of an ENGL power amp and an MXR 10 band EEQ. maybe a super overdrive pedal in front to push it a bit more. Does that sound pimp? I think it does.

Comment

It's not a bad sounding preamp with some outboard eq'ing and some kind of boost/gain/distortion pedal in the line. I wish I would have tried the mods before I sold mine, but there are more available. Choosing a power amp as much a matter of choice as the preamp. You don't need an Engl power amp per say, but it depends upon your wants/needs and taste.

[ November 18, 2003, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: charvelguy ]

Comment

where would I send it to get it modded? the only place I know that does mods is voodoo. I will probably get a peavey classic 50/50 power amp, or 60.60 are there any huge differences between them? tone wise?

what pedals shoudl I consider looking into to push it a little more? I alredy have access to a Boss Super overdrive (the yellow one)

and I already have the MXR 10 band EQ pedal and teh smart gate.

Comment

Go to this site and check the tips & mods
              http://www.metaltronix.net/

If you choose not to do these mods yourself (be careful around capacitors, the discharge from then in an open unit can kill you)
              then..
              Any competent amp repair tech should be able to do these mods for relatively little expense (probably under a 100 w/ labor/parts. I would think less, more around 50.00)

Peoples choices in pedals varies alot. Some guys dig the analog, others tubed. I would think any pedal that has tone shaping, drive, level like your Boss should be fine.

The MXR is noisy when boosted, but still fine eq, I used a 6 band for many years. Peavey 50/50 vs 60/60.. you know, I tried both and they're both warm and clean amps. The difference being the el84 vs the 6L6 and rack space. Whatever is the best buy at the time. The 60/60 are holding value but there are good buys on ebay at times.
              The 50/50 seems to be dropping. I like the 50/50 features. The 60/60 is a nice powerful amp, but all it's parameter contraols are in the back.. pretty useless for on the fly changes. I own the 60, but my volume stays pretty consistant, so it wasn't a factor on how much output variance from the amp.. the preamp vol was enough.

Comment

I'd try just running the SD-1 in front first. I would not really expect a GOOD
                tech to do the mod for $50 unless he's a personal friend. Good techs tend to live and work in big enough cities that they can charge $65 minimum hour charge for their work. More to the point, the mods might not increase your gain enough (the
                note says "a little" extra gain is realized", and you're not looking for a Fender Twin clean sound from what you've posted before. I had a Carvin XV-212 combo that had not enough gain, and for years got a great tone out of it with my SD-1 slamming the front end. If you still need an EQ ater trying that, get one, but you'll be surprised what the overdrive will do. Don't start out with the SD-1 maxed though, start at about 12:00 and go from there.
                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Depends on the amp tech as rich says. I was thinking the same thing as Rich when I posted as he is right, they charge like 60.00 an hour nowadays. Usually it's 50.00 just to open up the chassis and poke about a little for any type of troubleshooting. I could not imagine that first preamp mod being more than an hours work tho.

I know I could get that mod done for 50-60.00, but it's a guy I've known for many years so I usually get a break here and there for referring work.

Anywho..the Metaltronix forum makes some mention of the mod as well. http://denim.bbboy.net/metaltronix-v...rum=1&thread=3

I swapped out the tubes in mine as well trying different variations of brands, but tome, it lacked the gain I wanted unless I ran a tube driver in front of it.

I didn't know those metaltronix cabs were made from oak! I wonder how they sound! That XLA1000 going on ebay for 450.00, not bad. The heads are hard to come by for under 500.00.

I checked Amazon.com as well. That book mentioned by Lee isn't available until 9/2004.

[ November 19, 2003, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: charvelguy ]

Comment

Working...
                  X