Poweramp chug, Marshall versus Mesa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Poweramp chug, Marshall versus Mesa

I think it has el34 tubes but I´m not sure. Anyway, Tommy Folkeosson here in Sweden will modify it for me to increase the low end. He says that in a Mesa poweramp the tubes aren´t the big part of the sound, so he can modify it to be pretty heavy in the low end without changing the tubes to 6l& he says. He is rpetty wel known Marshall modifier here in Sweden.

Comment

I have a crappy 2x12 cab but I´m gonna buy a 4x12... any suggestions in Cab and speakers. I don´t wanna buy the celetion 75 watts.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:
        JG -

It's all in how the power amp handles the sound. Tube amps are generally "additive", i.e., they color the sound, whereas the goal with most solid state power amps is to reproduce the sound as accurately as possible, just with more volume.

A 100W tube amp sounds "louder" than a 100W ss amp, in most cases, because it changes the sound going through it in a desirable way. In a similar way, a tube amp will add "thump" to the bottom, frequently, because of the coloration it adds.

At least, that's how I understand it. I'm sure someone correct me if I'm wrong. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

MSG -

Matt's hit it on the head - I've thought about changing my TripleRec to EL34s for a different midrange sound. Bottom end won't be a problem with either kind of tubes, though, since my bass control is at about 9 o'clock. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

My cab (Peavey w/85 watt Celestions) handles bass nearly as well as the Recto cabs do, so I don't get muddiness issues. So many people who can't get "thump" are using regular-size Marshalls w v30s in them, which will give you a very nice mid in those cabs, but not much bottom, in my experience - especially with a Marshall power amp.

Marshalls have never really stuck me as great for the "deep" tone, 'cause they tend to be so midrange-focused, anyway.

Mike
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Mesa Triple Rectos sound great with EL34's!! [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I think better than a Dual Recto with 6L6's, I've had both!, and have done the side by side comparison. The Triple Recto w/EL34's had no problem with low end compared to the Dual Recto w/6L6's but the tone of the Triple was alot better than the Dual!! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
        Like Michael said,
        Too many people use cabs loaded w/ Celestion Vintage 30's and might blame the power amp or the type of power tubes in it on their lack of low end thump when in reality so much has to do with the speakers in your cab! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
        I own several older Marshall JCM 800 Lead and Bass series 4x12's loaded with Rola Celestion G12-80 and G12-65 watt speakers. The low end "thump" that these cabinets produce is far superior to any other cabs I've owned and have heard loaded with V30's!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Your tech friend is gonna hate you once he opens up that 9100. Haha... They are a service pain in the arse. Thin cheaply made boards, stack several high inside.

I've used the 9100s 9200s a lot and owned EL34 100/100s. They have like no bottom end and they break down a lot if you use them heavy and do shows a lot. Lotsa cold solder joints.

Sell it!!!! Get the MESA, or a VHT. Both are made extraordinarily better than the Marshall.

Yeah the 9200 is a 6L6 amp, so the 9100 probably are too.

Signed
          Ex Marshall lover

Comment

I don't agree that switching from a 9100 to a 50/50 will add noticable "chunk". Please explain to me why it would. I have gone from SS power amps to tube and have only noticed a slight increase in "chunk" at reasonable stage volumes. At low volumes I notice no difference. At extremely high volumes there is a noticable difference but these were "arena loud" levels and I would guess that most players don't play 100w rack systems on 8. I am interested in hearing what the reason is. I really need to learn more about the amp side of things!!
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm sure it has a lot to do with which amps in particular, but I've noticed a huge difference between SS and tube. I've always gotten a lot more bottom end or fullness or "chunk" (however you want to put it) out of tube amps. SS tends to do a better job with saturation. I've yet to play a Vetta, as I hear it's pretty nice for solid state, but I think that's the general rule. I can't tell you exactly why though [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] . Pete probably could.....

Comment

Working...
            X