Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Laney amp needed.

Howdy folks [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Recently got my hands on a Laney AOR 50 Pro-Tube Lead head and cab and am wondering if anyone can provide me with some settings as im having trouble getting the sound i want.

Im aiming for a good distorted thrash metal sort of sound so if anyone can help me out that would excellent.

Thanks for your help.

Re: Help with Laney amp needed.

Did you get the one with 1 preamp or two? If it's the single preamp head, you'll probably need some sort of good distortion stomp box, like an old MXR+. The single preamp won't give you enough gain, and I think that's why they came out with the 2 preamp model shortly after. I occasionally use my single preamp AOR head, but I crank the preamp to 10 and use a Boss Overdrive or Tube Screamer with it, and it does pretty well that way.
    Hope this helps!

Comment

Hey Subvamp,

Mine is the version with 2 Preamps.

It's a great amp but im still trying to get a good distorted, but punchy sound.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

That's Criss Oliva's amp! You can do what he did and use two Boss Super Overdrive pedals into the front end.

Comment

Holy sh*t! I can't imagine 2 overdrives in front of it! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Riddick, this is how I got that tone on the MP3 I posted, and I didn't even dial it up all that much: Turn up your preamp 2 all the way up and "pull" the boost on preamp 2, and turn it up to you get the gain you want. You may get some noise that way, but sticking a noise gate in the effects loops will quiet it. You should get more than enough distortion...if it's not just dripping with gain, you might want to replace your tubes. Those AOR heads are roughly 20 years old, and not many of them have been serviced alot in that time. I put JJs (power) and Electro Harmonix(preamp)tubes in mine when I bought it, and it was a whole new amp. I got the tubes new off Ebay, really cheap. Keep us posted!

Comment

.....Oh, and pull the boost for the Bass and Treble too. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Subvamp:
              Holy sh*t! I can't imagine 2 overdrives in front of it! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Riddick, this is how I got that tone on the MP3 I posted, and I didn't even dial it up all that much: Turn up your preamp 2 all the way up and "pull" the boost on preamp 2, and turn it up to you get the gain you want. You may get some noise that way, but sticking a noise gate in the effects loops will quiet it. You should get more than enough distortion...if it's not just dripping with gain, you might want to replace your tubes. Those AOR heads are roughly 20 years old, and not many of them have been serviced alot in that time. I put JJs (power) and Electro Harmonix(preamp)tubes in mine when I bought it, and it was a whole new amp. I got the tubes new off Ebay, really cheap. Keep us posted!
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I've only got a pull-boost for the Preamp 1 Volume knob, the Preamp 2 knob doesn't have one.

Thanks for the help so far. Very much appreciated. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[ November 19, 2003, 03:15 PM: Message edited by: Riddick ]

Comment

bump to the top

Comment

[img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                  X