No announcement yet.

Pete, or someone with amp knowledge....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pete, or someone with amp knowledge....

Assuming that I had someone who knows how to construct a decent cabinet, how hard is is to build a 2x12 cabinet and have it sound good?

I would have him build it the size I want and everything and load in 2 Celestion Vintage 30's. Will that work, or is there something I need to know. I have heard about the cabinets being tuned, but I'm not sure if that is just for bass speakers or what.
    Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Re: Pete, or someone with amp knowledge....

I think that BlackMariah was making some cabinets or was going to [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Shoot him an e-mail or message....the most he'll tell ya is I'm mistaken....or getting alzeheimers [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Rick:
      Assuming that I had someone who knows how to construct a decent cabinet, how hard is is to build a 2x12 cabinet and have it sound good?

I would have him build it the size I want and everything and load in 2 Celestion Vintage 30's. Will that work, or is there something I need to know. I have heard about the cabinets being tuned, but I'm not sure if that is just for bass speakers or what.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Your best bet will be to go to a music store, find a 2x12 WITH THE SPEAKERS YOU WANT that sounds good to you, and then measure it.

Or buy an avatar - they are good and cheap. Or look for a used cab - sometimes you can find a used cab cheaper than you're going to spend on new speakers.

Pete

Comment

www.swansoncabinets.com

Comment

Well the thing is that I want to cover it in Red Tolex to match my cab and head I have now, and I talked to Dave at Avatar and he told me that I couldn't get a cab from them without the black carpet covering on them.

Comment

Get a cab that you like, and rip off the old tolex. I recovered my head and 4x12 cab perfectly, it turned out just like the old factory tolex, and was A LOT easier than I thought it was going to be. I ran into very few problems, the main one being stretching it to fit the curve on the angled cab. The head was ridiculously easy to cover and only took me a little over an hour. A 2x12 shouldn't be much harder, the hardest part would be getting the seams to match up tightly if you have to put a seperate piece on the back if it doesn't detach. If the back does detch than it will be even easier because you can cover it seperately. Put the seem on a corner, so when you reattach the corner, the seam is invisible. Make sure you clean it off before you start, the old glue might be a little tacky and pick up debrise, which will leave bumps under after you cover it.

Comment

I actually recovered an amp, and the thing that I'm trying to get away from is haveing to remove any tolex and glue, it was a major pain.

I don't see why I just can't get a cabinet somewhere with no tolex on it.

Comment

you can from boogie but you'll pay through the nose for it. they will do pretty much anything with the appearance of the cab. www.mesaboogie.com

and it will sound the best, hehheh.
                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Yeah, Boogie's got awesome cabs with wood, tolex, leather, suede, in just about any color you could want, but they definitely are pricey.

[ November 20, 2003, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: toejam ]
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ November 20, 2003, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: toejam ]
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Just be sure to match the impedance right. When you wire speakers differently, you get different impedances.

Two 4 ohms wired in series equals 8 ohms.
                      Two 4 ohms wired in parallel equals 4ohms.

Be careful how you match. Mismatching can be hard on your amplifier head.

Comment

Working...
                      X