WarheaD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WarheaD

Have any of you guys played the randall warhead...
    is it good for metal??
    is it loud??
    any suggestions

Re: WarheaD

Never played one. I thought you got a Cyclone, or was I mistaken? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

i wanted a cyclone...then someone told me they were the same..
      and i found a cheap warhead...
      so i dont know
      i have seen alot of badd reviews about the warhead

Comment

I've heard a lot of bad things about Warheads, but the one I heard being demo'd at NAMM a couple years back sounded awesome (for an amp head) to me.

Stu

Comment

I hate em...
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Yeah, I've played them before at length. I personally think they sound like ass. I almost bought one before hearing them after seeing all the hype, glad I didn't. I would have been pretty pissed off.

I thought they at least did a good Black Metal sound... Maybe. Bill doesn't even think "that", and that the sound he's shooting for I guess. So, I'll guess that is lacking also.

Comment

Good morning John [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ....Yep they sound like ass ....and not even good ass ...
              [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

If you are looking for an 80's Pantera type sound then the Warhead is the one. My buddy has a new triple recto full stack and in order to get a nice 80's shred tone ala Dokken/Ratt/Pantera/Scorpions/Maiden he has $800.00 worth of Boss pedals on the floor. He has been fiddling for over 3 weeks with it. I plugged in the Warhead, dialed it up flat with the gain on 5, plugged in my full stack and was instantly dialed in. Here are the pro's for both because IMHO they are both great examples of tube and solid state technology.
                Pro's for Mesa Triple:
                1. The Mesa was much much louder.
                2. The Mesa sounded better as it got louder
                3. The Mesa is..well... a Mesa!!
                4. The chunk and bottom end was incredible.
                Pro's for Warhead:
                1. Instant 80's shred tone with no fuss.
                2. Built in effects which worked great
                3. It sounded great at any volume.
                Cons for Mesa:
                1. My buddy needs $800.00 worth of Boss pedals to do 80's type covers.
                2. The Mesa had to be turned up way to loud before it started to sound really good and we had it set with the variac on the lowest wattage.
                3. If you are looking for Dokken/Ratt/Pantera/Scorpions/Maiden type tone then look elsewhere.
                Cons for Warhead:
                1. It isn't nearly as loud as you would think 300w should be.
                2. It doesn't have the presence of a tube amp
                3. It has horrible resale value
                4. It is kind of a scam amp because many reports state that Dimebag doesn't even use them. Then again, lots of players endorse products that they don't use.
                Final thoughts regarding both:
                If you are looking for a plug and play 80's metal amp then the Warhead is a great choice. If you are trying to find your own unique tone than you will have to look elswhere. I am stuck in the 80's and a big Randall fan therefore I love it. The Mesa delivers exactly what everybody expects. Bone crunching chunk and that unique Mesa tone.
                I guess that is why I have one and soon I will have one of both.You can never have too many amps bro... [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah jgcable's impressions of the Warhead were along the lines of what I heard out of it that time. Definitely a shred machine, very thrashy sounding, in the way I think only a solid state amp like that could do on its own so well. For Plug-N-Play thrash at probably almost any volume, I think it would be hard to beat. My guess would be that it's mediocre at best for doing anything other than thrashy stuff hehehe. If you want THAT sound--thrash metal--it could be a great choice.

From what I've gathered on past Warhead discussions on the board, it seems they're kind of hit & miss, in a lot of ways. Either people really like the sound, or they absolutely hate it. It's also possible that some of the Warhead units that have been produced were just absolute crap, for some reason, and other units were great, both in sound quality and reliability. My suggestion if you really want one of these, try them in stores and try different ones in different stores, if possible. Push them as hard as you can in the store, to see if they seem stable. With something that's possibly questionable like this, I'd stick with buying new and getting any kind of warranties you can on it. If you have to buy used, just know you could be taking a big leap into a deep, full toilet hehehe. Good luck! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Stu

Comment

Warhead a shred Machine??? Bahahahaa... Unless you're talking about my eardrums...

I'd have to mention the Vmax is much better..

Comment

Hey, I shouldn't be so harsh. "I" just don't like it, and others may find it pleasing. Just not "my" idea of what I want I guess.

If you like it, be happy you found something you like.

Comment

how about the cyclone???????

or the titan??

Comment

I've been wanting to try the VMax for a while now, ever since I saw that Scott Ian is using them in his live rig. Something about a "deep" knob and a cabinet with two 12s and a 15 sounds like it would be interesting.

Comment

I think that Disturbed uses the V-Max. They get great sound live. I would compare the tone to a Diesel.

Comment

RG100ES..... all I have to say. That right there is by far my fav Randall head. I love how evil they sound. Just listen to some Crowbar, Use the same head with a MT2 in front set flat, no extra EQ's or noise gates,

Comment

Working...
                              X