Eq-uing! Before or after the pre-amp!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eq-uing! Before or after the pre-amp!

I'm about to include my Tc 1140 Parametric in my chain!

And want to get started with the tweaking.
    Well that's the problem. I don't know where exactly to start!
    MAybe you could give some hints!
    I've read some comments that in order to really get THE sound it helps a lot to put a parametric infront of your pre-amp in oppose to playing it through a FX loop of your pre-amp!

I just wanted to straighten one other thing.
    Does the normal 3 stage Eq low-middle-high, seen on jsut about every normal amp, effects the signal before it hits the tube section and it gains or after it is already gained?
    Silly question maybe, but when you come to think of it, it is another thing that is good to know.

Anyway do not get misled about this last question, i need the facts on where is the best position to run a parametric.

Or if any of you have an expirience about running it pre-or post and being completely (un)-satisfied or blown-off, please do let me know!

Re: Eq-uing! Before or after the pre-amp!

There isn't a 'best' position, only different positions. Try it both ways and see what works. You're not going to blow anything up.

I'm not sure about the amp EQ section question. Just wait until Pete arrives. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Most people run parametric eqs in front of the amp and graphic eqs in the loop but, like BM said, experiment and find what sounds and works better for you.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I run EQs in every position possible. I've got an EQ before the preamp, an EQ in the loop, and an EQ after the preamp. Try it in different positions with all sorts of settings, see what you like best. You may decide you want to get a 2nd EQ of some sort and run one before and one after. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Stu

Comment

Something else I'll say is that I've used parametric and graphic EQ's in every combination I could think of, and I found that in the loop worked for me the best. That way you can shape the tone the way you want it, THEN make it louder, instead of shaping the tone, running it through the preamp, THEN making it louder.

But, YMMV. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah, I've ended up settling on a good EQ in the loop also... It seems to do what I want the most. However, since the 1140 is a quiet and a high quality unit, it would probably be the best unit to use "if" you were putting it in front. I would use that in the loop though.

Wow, you found an 1140... You lucky bastage... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Well to be honest i never would have thought that running an EQ infront of the pre-amp would make such a difference to your sound.
              I will most certainly try out all the positions, i just wanted to know if there is a favourite position for an EQ!
              Looks like the FX loop wins, ha?

Yes i was quite fortunately to get the TC, especially in my hometown. Some kid sold it to me (my age) who appeared to be some tech in the studio and wanted to get rid of some of his equipment!

I knew i wanted this baby + i got it very cheap(around 150$) so....!

Hey cleve, if i ever wound up ending my career as a musician; (it really has not even started, i was born in '81) you are the first one i'll think when selling this baby.
              That is a promise!

What about that EQ question? I'll ask again!
              You have aregular amp with low, mid and high knob level! This setting affects the signal prior or after the signla from guitar gets to your amp?

Comment

Some amps have pre-gain EQ sections, but I think pretty much all of the high gain monsters out there today have post-gain EQ sections.

Pre-Gain EQs are cool, but for high gain sounds, to get the most out of them you really need to have a post-gain EQ as well anyways.

As for the "EQ in front of the amp vs. in the loop" thing, they're totally different beasts. In front of the amp, in simplistic terms, essentially means you're EQing your guitar sound before it hits the amp, whereas in the loop means you're EQing the sound of the preamp before it hits the power section. They're both good for different things. Any EQ changes made before the preamp though, are going to be affected by the amp's EQ, and also compressed by the amp if you're running a high gain sound.

Comment

I believe the tone control are (in most amps) after the preamp section of the amp, and before the effects loop and power amp section.

Maybe some amp builder here will know better than me though.

Thanks for the kind thoughts on the 1140!!

congrats again.

Comment

Working...
                  X