Overall best ultra high gain shreddin amp for metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overall best ultra high gain shreddin amp for metal

within a resonable price? 5150? triple XXX?

Re: Overall best ultra high gain shreddin amp for metal

of those two I like the XXX. in fact, if I didn't have so much money in my Rivera rigs, i'd be all over the XXX (like if I was just starting out). of course you'll hear about all the top dollar bogner's, soldano's, etc., but for the money the XXX is fine. (in my opinion)
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MD:
      of those two I like the XXX. in fact, if I didn't have so much money in my Rivera rigs, i'd be all over the XXX (like if I was just starting out). of course you'll hear about all the top dollar bogner's, soldano's, etc., but for the money the XXX is fine. (in my opinion)
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">yeah if i were rich i would be using all mesa stuff,but i am not [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] so i need a poor man's mesa! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I vote 5150. I have MP3's on my sound clip page of a few I modified. I hate the XXX. I've played several with 6L6's and EL34's and they sound like buzzy solid state garbage to my ears. I know many like them, but to my ears they are weak.
        Jerry
        FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by JerryP:
          I vote 5150. I have MP3's on my sound clip page of a few I modified. I hate the XXX. I've played several with 6L6's and EL34's and they sound like buzzy solid state garbage to my ears. I know many like them, but to my ears they are weak.
          Jerry
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">hey jerry sounds great man! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
          I dont like the words "buzzy solid state" that is a instant turn off from considering the XXX [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img]
          the 5150's which one? i heard they all sound different(original,II,combo)

[ November 19, 2003, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: randyvanmalmsteen ]

Comment

GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

Comment

Originally posted by MD:
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">do i hear a echo? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

i loved my XXX, sounded excellent. If you decide on one spend the extra bucks and get some Svetlana EL34s in there it will liven it up. The XXX has so much gain you can get away with running the gain on three or so I never ran mine higher than five. The ultra channel is more compressed than the crunch channel. I was constantly switching back and forth I usually ended up on the crunch though. Give one a run through for yourself though.

As far as being buzzy I never though it was but it did give me a solid state impression in that it had a very flat SS'ish response. What i mean by that is SS amps take whatever you put into it and put out X. Whereas tube amps seem to be more resposive to dynamics, being analog that is their nature of course.
                1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

strange...i didn't post that again, must have been because I use my back button a lot. so disregard the double post.

but, the XXX i played was a head that was hooked up to my Rivera 4x12 loaded with 200watt EVM speakers. the sounded was huge, not fizzy at all. then and again i usually don't crank the gain all the way up.
                  GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

Also in the same price range as a 5150 or XXX is a used Boogie MK3 or MK4
                    1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

Originally posted by MD:
                      strange...i didn't post that again, must have been because I use my back button a lot. so disregard the double post.

but, the XXX i played was a head that was hooked up to my Rivera 4x12 loaded with 200watt EVM speakers. the sounded was huge, not fizzy at all. then and again i usually don't crank the gain all the way up.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I do not max the gains either [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] in most amps that is instant "fizz" i would use the pre at about 5.5-6.5 depending for rhythms and maybe a touch higher for solo's.
                      i need tones that run the likes of old metallica,megadeth,testament,etc and it is a must to have a great lead tone(not thin or harsh)i like a thick articulate lead tone. I use duncan pickups(custom or JB in the bridge)

Comment

Originally posted by buzzsaww:
                        Also in the same price range as a 5150 or XXX is a used Boogie MK3 or MK4
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">hey that is real food for thought! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] I know that the mesa stuff KILLS!
                        http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=43374 [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

[ November 19, 2003, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: randyvanmalmsteen ]

Comment

Originally posted by randyvanmalmsteen:
                          </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by jgcable:
                          The XXX has more shred gain than the 5150. You will absolutely need a pedal with a Mesa Mark anything!! Look at the Randall V-Max. It is a hybrid. You can chunk away on tubes and shred on the solid state. I have also played some of the new Laneys that have a huge amount of shred potential.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">the MKIII needs a pedal in front? even with a hotter bridge pup like the duncan custom? thanks for the randall info(i was unaware that was even out!)
                          right now i have a carvin x100b a older all tube 100 watter with a EQ built in,it is OK but kind of
                          odd sounding for leads?
                          </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I have never had any luck with any Mesa Mark anything for shred. I also had Studio 22+'s and 50 calibers and they have a great tone but not for shred.Toejam says his F-30 can do it no sweat. I have never played one but I would take his word for it. To me, shred is much higher gain and different tone than most Mesa's can produce. Especially the Mark series which to me is more of a vintage rock or metal sound. I agree with the Diesel. I wish I had the cash for that. I have a CD from a band called Scrape who uses them. It might be the best guitar sound I have ever heard.

[ November 19, 2003, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: jgcable ]

Comment

how about the line 6 hd147...
                            i tried it at guitar center and it sounded awesome.
                            i know alot of people like tubes and all, but the hd just sounds killer.
                            so good that i think i'm going to sell my mesa for one.

Comment

Originally posted by randyvanmalmsteen:
                              hey jerry sounds great man! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                              I dont like the words "buzzy solid state" that is a instant turn off from considering the XXX [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img]
                              the 5150's which one? i heard they all sound different(original,II,combo) [/QB]
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks! I like the original 5150 heads. The 5150II is cool too. I've never played the combo but I heard some clips that sounded great. I know the combo it heavy ass hell!
                              Jerry
                              FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

Working...
                              X