Overall best ultra high gain shreddin amp for metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Overall best ultra high gain shreddin amp for metal

I notice that the 5150II has 1 more preamp tube than the 5150. What is this preamp tube for? Gain? or is it an extra one for the clean channel which is supposed to be improved.

Comment

Used VHT Pittbull CLX 100 or UL 100 with Graphic EQ, there you will have your gain and shred all in one [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Jack.

[ November 19, 2003, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: slayer ]

Comment

get a fender rock pro 1000 head for <400.00 they're cheap and sound great for the money.

seriously.
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable:
          I notice that the 5150II has 1 more preamp tube than the 5150. What is this preamp tube for? Gain? or is it an extra one for the clean channel which is supposed to be improved.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">On the 5150 the signal for both channels went thru all 6 gain stages. On the 5150II the lead channel still goes thru 6 stages, but the rhythm channel only goes thru 3 now. This gives it the better clean. That's why it has the extra tube.
          Jerry
          FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

Overall best would have to go to either the Bogner Überschall or VHT UL. I've played both Diezels (VH4 & Herbert) and the Über and UL smoked both of them.

Best on a budget... modified Marshall JCM800 2203.
            [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

The XXX has more shred gain than the 5150. You will absolutely need a pedal with a Mesa Mark anything!! Look at the Randall V-Max. It is a hybrid. You can chunk away on tubes and shred on the solid state. I have also played some of the new Laneys that have a huge amount of shred potential.

Comment

I absolutely disagree! I've had mine for years and never used a pedal. To nail the sound you have in your head you may need an external EQ.

You will absolutely need a pedal with a Mesa Mark anything!!
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
                1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

The XXX has more shred gain than the 5150. You will absolutely need a pedal with a Mesa Mark anything!! Look at the Randall V-Max. It is a hybrid. You can chunk away on tubes and shred on the solid state. I have also played some of the new Laneys that have a huge amount of shred potential.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">the MKIII needs a pedal in front? even with a hotter bridge pup like the duncan custom? thanks for the randall info(i was unaware that was even out!)
                  right now i have a carvin x100b a older all tube 100 watter with a EQ built in,it is OK but kind of
                  odd sounding for leads?

[ November 19, 2003, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: randyvanmalmsteen ]

Comment

There is no "Overall best ultra high gain shreddin amp for metal ".

You need to go out and play everything you can get your hands on and decide for yourself as there are dozens and dozens of great choices for what you are looking for.

Comment

Yeah, what Chuck said!! I just got a Mesa F-30 1x12 combo (2 EL84s and 4 12AX7s) and it's got plenty of gain, and I only have the gain at about 2- 3 o'clock. I almost got a used Rivera Fifty-Five Twelve from GC, but the Mesa I found brand new and cheaper on ebay.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckracer:
                        There is no "Overall best ultra high gain shreddin amp for metal ".

You need to go out and play everything you can get your hands on and decide for yourself as there are dozens and dozens of great choices for what you are looking for.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">yeah it should have read "overall best ultra high gain amp under $900 shreddin amp for metal"
                        see cash is kind of a big issue right now for me [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
                        If it were not for that I would know what to buy!
                        this! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by data187:
                          how about the line 6 hd147...
                          i tried it at guitar center and it sounded awesome.
                          i know alot of people like tubes and all, but the hd just sounds killer.
                          so good that i think i'm going to sell my mesa for one.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">you are sellin a mesa for a line 6? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                          i could never do that [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] the line 6 stuff just has something in its tone i dont care for. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Good deal can be found on Engls, I really like my Savage 120 which is extremely versatile. And on the Mesa subject I've had a MK IV a Quad Preamp and a DC3 and none of these amps EVER had any need for a pedal in front of them.
                            Chris
                            http://www.myspace.com/chriswestfallguitar

Comment

Yeah, the only Mesa I've ever played that could use more gain is the 50 Caliber Plus at our rehearsal space. Since I'm currently using the Mark III that's there, though, this isn't a problem.

I've only heard two Engl amps in person - the Blackmore sig (being played by The Man himself) and the Fireball. The Fireball rips some SERIOUS a**, to the point where noted gear dog Jack Frost won't use anything else.

Bang for the buck, though, the 5150 is the best bet. It doesn't sound as good as a Mesa, or VHT, or Bogner, but it's close, and has a specific tone of it's own. If I hadn't had the finances for a TripleRec, I might well be playing a 5150.

The clean blows, though. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Mike
                              Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

For about $50. more than a XXX is new, you can have a 5150 II! Might not be quite as versital but the tone is way better!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X