Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Overall best ultra high gain shreddin amp for metal

Originally posted by Michael:
    Yeah, the only Mesa I've ever played that could use more gain is the 50 Caliber Plus at our rehearsal space. Since I'm currently using the Mark III that's there, though, this isn't a problem.

I've only heard two Engl amps in person - the Blackmore sig (being played by The Man himself) and the Fireball. The Fireball rips some SERIOUS a**, to the point where noted gear dog Jack Frost won't use anything else.

Bang for the buck, though, the 5150 is the best bet. It doesn't sound as good as a Mesa, or VHT, or Bogner, but it's close, and has a specific tone of it's own. If I hadn't had the finances for a TripleRec, I might well be playing a 5150.

The clean blows, though. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Mike
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The clean can be made better on the 5150. Listen to my clips and tell me what you think.
    Jerry
    FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

Hey, that's a considerable improvement. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

From the site, it looks like you get this by lowering the preamp gain. Overall, those clips sound pretty nice - I'd like to play one of these, sometime.

Mike

[ November 20, 2003, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: Michael ]
      Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

if ya want a cheap head that sounds awesome try the peavey XXL they sound great they have so much gain it's unbeliveable , as far as I am concerned it ass kicks both the 5150 and the triple x plus you got 3 different amp settings per channel for instance on the ultra channel you got ultra , modern high gain , and crunch
        on the lead channel you got high gain , british , and classic , the clean channel has em as well - warm , modern and vintage , cause it's solidstate it sounds nice and clean sounding no brutal noisy tube buzz , anyway , I work in a music store and have tryed my rigg up to the mesa dual rectifier the 5150 1 with matched cab , and I play in a new band with a guy who plays a reverra quintanna with a sub extention cab as well and it blows all of these away for metal tone and clarity and sound anyway . and I've tryed it against some marshall stuff and the knuckle head as well , if ya want a good metal amp this is the one , like I said it cutts through live and it's nice and clean for studio stuff , and the gain is way to crazy you'll never use all of it never . //Steve

Comment

Originally posted by DerekB:
          </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Steve:
          if ya want a cheap head that sounds awesome try the peavey XXL they sound great they have so much gain it's unbeliveable , as far as I am concerned it ass kicks both the 5150 and the triple x plus you got 3 different amp settings per channel for instance on the ultra channel you got ultra , modern high gain , and crunch
          on the lead channel you got high gain , british , and classic , the clean channel has em as well - warm , modern and vintage , cause it's solidstate it sounds nice and clean sounding no brutal noisy tube buzz , anyway , I work in a music store and have tryed my rigg up to the mesa dual rectifier the 5150 1 with matched cab , and I play in a new band with a guy who plays a reverra quintanna with a sub extention cab as well and it blows all of these away for metal tone and clarity and sound anyway . and I've tryed it against some marshall stuff and the knuckle head as well , if ya want a good metal amp this is the one , like I said it cutts through live and it's nice and clean for studio stuff , and the gain is way to crazy you'll never use all of it never . //Steve
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Really? I found that amp to be one of the worst sounding amps I ever heard or played and would take any of the other's you mentioned minus the Rivera without a 2nd thought.

Derek

Derek
          </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hm, I've had mine for one month now and so far I'm really happy with it... so many options, and the greatest thing IMO is that BOTH distortion channels offer great distortion!
          http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

What about the Marshall JCM900?
            If I can get a nice head for $400-$500, is the JCM900 a good metal amp anymore?

If its not, how is the power amp...woudl a nice preamp make it a good metal amp?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:
              Hey, that's a considerable improvement. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

From the site, it looks like you get this by lowering the preamp gain. Overall, those clips sound pretty nice - I'd like to play one of these, sometime.

Mike
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hi Mike,
              Thanks! Yes, lowering the gain makes the amp much tighter and cleans up the clean. It gets rid of a lot of that nasty hisssssssss on the lead channel too.
              Jerry
              FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by Steve:
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Really? I found that amp to be one of the worst sounding amps I ever heard or played and would take any of the other's you mentioned minus the Rivera without a 2nd thought.

Derek

Derek

Comment

This post just goes to show -

Amps are very subjective. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Which JCM 900?

Mike
                  Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Quoting Obituary:

SOOOOLIIIIIIDD STAATE!
                    [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

FENDER ROCK PRO 1000 HEAD!!!!!!!

i'm not kidding. $400 or less and they sound killer!!!!
                      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable:
                        Derek
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I dont think there is any chance in hell i would go S.S over the 5150,XXX,or a used all tube whatever [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                        the word trans-tube alone makes me want to [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img]
                        S.S has the worst, SH**TTY,tinny,non musical overdrive ever [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [/QB][/QUOTE]

That is a totally uniformed off base observation. Rush recorded practically the entire Moving Pictures Album using a GK ML250. Alex even used the amp live. Anthrax uses solid state, Pantera, Disturbed uses a SS/Tube hybrid, Danzig and many more use SS. Many jazz players use amps made by Polytone. They are all SS and get incredible reviews. I had an Ampeg SS140C that was solid state and was awesome. Malmsteen used a Fender Roc Pro 1000 for some of his instructional videos and guitar clinics. It is solid state. CC Deville used the RG100ES. Isn't the Roland JC120 Jazz Chorus a SS amp? C'mon bro.. I love tubes but you are a little off base regarding SS. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Allthough I love and prefer tubes I don't despise SS at all. In fact I have a HD-147 that I absolutely love and am a huge fan of the Ampeg VH140 C. I just think the XXL doesn't sound good at all especially compared to a 5150 or a XXX.

Derek

[ November 21, 2003, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: DerekB ]

Comment

Get an old Marshall Valvestate... they rock!! I've still got my '92 8240 stereo chorus combo that's still going strong! Even Chuck from Death used a Valvestate, as well as James Murphy. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I agree with you Derek. There is no comparison.
                            Oh yea... the RocPro 1000 does rock for sure!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Mordor:
                              Quoting Obituary:

SOOOOLIIIIIIDD STAATE!
                              [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Damn cool riffage, I'll have to dig that disc out when I get home! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] What did they use anyhow?

The XXL is very flexible and the best SS amp I have ever heard in a live situation. Actually the only one I have heard pushed that still sounded good. (I'm talking local gig situations). I just really like the lead tone you get from a tube amp. I have found most guitarist that play primarily heavy rhythm guitar tend to be happy with the SS amps. Scott Ian, Dime, Chuck (RIP), Trevor Peres etc....These guys seem to be more into a "In your face" rhythm tone than a singing lead tone because that’s more important to them and all of them have very distinct tone.

Personally I love the rhythm tone of the 5150 and the XXX and I should be in the XXX club next week so I'll know better then! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

all the Roc Pro's on ebay are going for 200 or less right now.

ROC PRO
                                ROC PRO
                                ROC PRO!!!!!!!!
                                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
                                X