Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Overall best ultra high gain shreddin amp for metal

Originally posted by toejam:
    Get an old Marshall Valvestate... they rock!! I've still got my '92 8240 stereo chorus combo that's still going strong! Even Chuck from Death used a Valvestate, as well as James Murphy. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Granted Chuck's playing was alway's awesome but his tone for the most part sucked. I had an old valvestate years ago and it was mediocre at best.

Derek

Comment

Double post.

[ November 21, 2003, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: Dave ]
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

I liked Chuck’s rhythm tone on Symbolic, but I never liked his lead tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave:
          I liked Chuck’s rhythm tone on Symbolic, but I never liked his lead tone.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah Dave,I really like that tone too,although I like also his lead tone.

Talkin about Obituary,I think they used a JCM800 with 4x10 cab...

[ November 21, 2003, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: Mordor ]

Comment

i saw them live on that tour and the sound was awful. i can't stand the valve state sound.

ROC PRO! hehheh

i just can't help it, such a great sounding head for so little cash.
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

The JCM 900...

What models are good/decent?
              I was looking at a 4100 for $550.
              It only has 3 preamp tubes...kinda made em think the gain wasn't all that high.

If the power amp is nice, powerful, and punchy...I can always use a good preamp.

What do you guys think of these amps?
              Can they do megadeth/in flames heavy music?

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel:
                i saw them live on that tour and the sound was awful. i can't stand the valve state sound.

ROC PRO! hehheh

i just can't help it, such a great sounding head for so little cash.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I thought the Roc pro sounded like a weak Valvstate when I a/b'd the two a couple years ago, through the same cab. Maybe it was that one amp.

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by randyvanmalmsteen:
                  </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Steve:
                  if ya want a cheap head that sounds awesome try the peavey XXL they sound great they have so much gain it's unbeliveable , as far as I am concerned it ass kicks both the 5150 and the triple x </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

C'mon man,you have to be kidding? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] better than a 5150,or XXX, dude the damn thing is a S.S copy of the XXX,how can it be better?

Originally posted by DerekB:
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Really? I found that amp to be one of the worst sounding amps I ever heard or played and would take any of the other's you mentioned minus the Rivera without a 2nd thought.

Derek

Derek
                  </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I dont think there is any chance in hell i would go S.S over the 5150,XXX,or a used all tube whatever [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                  the word trans-tube alone makes me want to [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img]
                  S.S has the worst, SH**TTY,tinny,non musical overdrive ever [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                  </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">hey man you asked a ****ing question so you got a ****ing answer , soild state stuff don't suck and for High gain stuff I would put mine up againist any of the amps you guys have been talking about and I have , back to back with the 5150 the reverra any marshall and 2 mesa dual rectifers , I also teach music and work in a music store and play in 3 metal bands and do shows and recordings every month , so trust me buddy I wouldn't recomend **** to ya , don't slam it till you try it bud , most of the newer recordings in metal or the good ones are all useing Valvestates they are solid state aren't they ? but I have never tryed a deziel or any bogner stuff yet so I can't comment on that , but I can get the 5150 tone out of my ****ty soildstate amp as you would call her no problem at all and it sounds better and clearer than the 5150 . //Steve

Comment

remember 12ax7's have two gain stages in them, depends on the circuit design. more tubes does not necessarily mean better.

Originally posted by GWARGHOUL:
                    The JCM 900...

What models are good/decent?
                    I was looking at a 4100 for $550.
                    It only has 3 preamp tubes...kinda made em think the gain wasn't all that high.

If the power amp is nice, powerful, and punchy...I can always use a good preamp.

What do you guys think of these amps?
                    Can they do megadeth/in flames heavy music?
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
                    1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

Regarding the Peavey XXL - I went out amp hunting with a friend of mine and one store had the 5150 (I think the II version) , a XXX and an XXL. I had tried the 5150 in the past and hated it but this time I liked it. Then the XXX which I'd never played but heard so much about. HATED it. What a let down. Then the XXL. Had no expectations whatsoever for this amp. Just plugged it in for kixx. I was amazed. I couldn't believe how much I liked it. I would go buy one right now if I wasn't unemployed at the moment. It's first on my list when I can drop the money, and it's not much money either. Another SS amp that blew me away on the clips only (never played one) was the Randall Cyclone.

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Steve:
                        if ya want a cheap head that sounds awesome try the peavey XXL they sound great they have so much gain it's unbeliveable , as far as I am concerned it ass kicks both the 5150 and the triple x </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

C'mon man,you have to be kidding? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] better than a 5150,or XXX, dude the damn thing is a S.S copy of the XXX,how can it be better?

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Really? I found that amp to be one of the worst sounding amps I ever heard or played and would take any of the other's you mentioned minus the Rivera without a 2nd thought.

Derek

Derek
                        </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I dont think there is any chance in hell i would go S.S over the 5150,XXX,or a used all tube whatever [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                        S.S has the worst, SH**TTY,tinny,non musical overdrive ever [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Derek [/qb][/QUOTE]I dont think there is any chance in hell i would go S.S over the 5150,XXX,or a used all tube whatever [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                          S.S has the worst, SH**TTY,tinny,non musical overdrive ever [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [/QB][/QUOTE]

That is a totally uniformed off base observation. Rush recorded practically the entire Moving Pictures Album using a GK ML250. Alex even used the amp live. Anthrax uses solid state, Pantera, Disturbed uses a SS/Tube hybrid, Danzig and many more use SS. Many jazz players use amps made by Polytone. They are all SS and get incredible reviews. I had an Ampeg SS140C that was solid state and was awesome. Malmsteen used a Fender Roc Pro 1000 for some of his instructional videos and guitar clinics. It is solid state. CC Deville used the RG100ES. Isn't the Roland JC120 Jazz Chorus a SS amp? C'mon bro.. I love tubes but you are a little off base regarding SS.

Comment

Tube amps rule!!!

i used to hate them..

oh the cyclone blows donkey balls..

tubes are the only solution

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Label:
                              Tube amps rule!!!

i used to hate them..

oh the cyclone blows donkey balls..

tubes are the only solution
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">At least for now... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Steve:
                                </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by randyvanmalmsteen:
                                </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Steve:

Derek

Derek
                                </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">hey man you asked a ****ing question so you got a ****ing answer , soild state stuff don't suck and for High gain stuff I would put mine up againist any of the amps you guys have been talking about and I have , back to back with the 5150 the reverra any marshall and 2 mesa dual rectifers , I also teach music and work in a music store and play in 3 metal bands and do shows and recordings every month , so trust me buddy I wouldn't recomend **** to ya , don't slam it till you try it bud , most of the newer recordings in metal or the good ones are all useing Valvestates they are solid state aren't they ? but I have never tryed a deziel or any bogner stuff yet so I can't comment on that , but I can get the 5150 tone out of my ****ty soildstate amp as you would call her no problem at all and it sounds better and clearer than the 5150 . //Steve
                                </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey i up for at least hearing one? I mean WTF hearing is believing,and IF it is as great as you say,maybe i will be a convert [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] if so it would be the first and ONLY non tube high gain that i liked? all the others sound like [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X