Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Overall best ultra high gain shreddin amp for metal

Originally posted by randyvanmalmsteen:

yeah if i were rich i would be using all mesa stuff,but i am not [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] so i need a poor man's mesa! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [/QB]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'd say go look for an original 5150. That's my other amp next to my VHT and it kicks quite some ass as well. Not the greatest of all clean channels but it works for most applications.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
      </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by buzzsaww:
      two more to add to jgcables SS using list, Static-X and Prong
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yep, Static X and Prong also used Valvestates. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No sh!t! Prong has one of the best guitar sounds ever on Cleansing. Absolute ginding brutality. SOunds like a Tyrannosaurus eating a chainsaw!
      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Yeah, I believe it was the 8100 head. I think Chuck Schuldiner used the same amp, IIRC. Tommy Victor also never really cared about pickups and just used whatever was stock in any guitar he picked up off the shelf.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The VHT 2150 / CAE is awesome ... [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

But for BRUTALITY the Uberschall takes the cake !

The damn thing growls like a bear ....I got this thing screaming now John!!!

Had to get this thing home to get the proper tweakage ....morning , noon and night..It's getting Dialed in very nicely...especially with the G major.

I don't play the Marshall no more ...might even sell the stuff ...

and get another Uber or check into the VHT stuff..
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ November 22, 2003, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: DerekB ]

Comment

Originally posted by horns666:
              VHTs are nice .. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

but for sheer brutality NOTHING beats and Uberschall....period.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">For you maybe but I owned one for six month's and allthough I loved it I have found other's I like better for sheer brutality.I prefer more of a tight focused sound and the Uber is a looser more wide type of voicing.

Derek

Comment

Hey Derek what is more brutal then a Uberschall?

Comment

MD............

if you ever let go of the JCM800

let me know...

Comment

I have an 8100. It rips major a$$. I bet there are more metal recordings using an 8100 than almost any other amp.

Comment

black label, you'll be first.
                      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DietChoke:
                        </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by randyvanmalmsteen:

yeah if i were rich i would be using all mesa stuff,but i am not [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] so i need a poor man's mesa! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'd say go look for an original 5150. That's my other amp next to my VHT and it kicks quite some ass as well. Not the greatest of all clean channels but it works for most applications. [/QB]</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">since you own a VHT and are saying that the 5150 originals can "kick some ass" i will take that as a high complement for the 5150's,and the clean on the 5150 i dont even care about,i dont do a whole lotta clean things in my METAL band [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by randyvanmalmsteen:
                          </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by DietChoke:
                          </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by randyvanmalmsteen:

yeah if i were rich i would be using all mesa stuff,but i am not [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] so i need a poor man's mesa! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'd say go look for an original 5150. That's my other amp next to my VHT and it kicks quite some ass as well. Not the greatest of all clean channels but it works for most applications. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">since you own a VHT and are saying that the 5150 originals can "kick some ass" i will take that as a high complement for the 5150's,and the clean on the 5150 i dont even care about,i dont do a whole lotta clean things in my METAL band [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [/QB]</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I wouldn't buy it unheard though because tastes really differ immensly. Some people love them, some hate 'em. You better decide for yourself. I used to have a 5150 before, sold it and regretted it 2 weeks after.
                          But both amps are pretty different I have to admit.

This one I bought about half a year ago and I'm not gonna sell it anymore.
                          I keep switching between the 5150 and the VHT, whatever mood I'm in. But I'd really like to run them both at the same time. I'm sure it'd be huge sounding.

Comment

this is a great thread. BTW i havnt heard a valvestate i liked the other guitar player in my band had an early one. sounded like crap IMO my modded tube randall buried it in volume, gain & low end thump. even when we switched cabs, we tried everything to get this thing to sound good at volume. it was trade toward a bedrock, that amp kicked much ass, but sounded like a very modded Marshall if thats your thing. BTW dont alway believe what rockstars say they play thru its a lot of BS. for all you marshall haters (me included) i played the guy from bad brains marshall ( the guy who modded my randall did badbrains amps too). this thing was a monster. not a singing gain like soldano, very bogneresque chunky & airy lots of overtones & no mid range shizlsssss of marshalls that i hate. its also a matter of preference, ive never gone out & dropped lots of $ on a head but have owned my share of marshalls, carvins, randalls & have had all of them modded to suit me. while they do not compare to VHT, Bogner, Soldano & the like, they also cost less than half the price even with the mods.

tubes rule, tho SS has its place practice amps.

Comment

Ozz -

Well, after hearing the tone In Flames got out of 5150s in a live setting, I'd say that they're quite capable in the proper hands. If you're on a budget, it's hard to beat.

I own the amp that everyone loves to hate around here - a Triple Rec, as I've already mentioned. I used it for the first time in a while - it's not worth hauling it to a rehearsal space where there's already an amp for two hours of rehearsal - and had forgotten just how good the damn thing sounds. My tone isn't the sludgy, bottom-heavy sound most people associate with the Recto, either, more like the Iced Earth "Alive In Athens" tone - very bright and super crunchy. So, again, I'd recommend a Recto - preferrably a Triple.

This thread is so long, I've lost track of who asked about the JCM900, but I wouldn't worry about it only having three 12AX7s - it, like most Marshalls made since the late '80s, uses diode clipping for distortion, anyway.

Mike
                              Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666:
                                Hey I played/owned ALL amps mentioned above so far ... [img]graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]

but when my PP and my Uberschall get together ....it's armegeddon baby!!!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah I wish I had the cash for one [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] //Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X