X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Overall best ultra high gain shreddin amp for metal

Originally posted by Michael:
    Ozz -

Well, after hearing the tone In Flames got out of 5150s in a live setting, I'd say that they're quite capable in the proper hands. If you're on a budget, it's hard to beat.

I own the amp that everyone loves to hate around here - a Triple Rec, as I've already mentioned. I used it for the first time in a while - it's not worth hauling it to a rehearsal space where there's already an amp for two hours of rehearsal - and had forgotten just how good the damn thing sounds. My tone isn't the sludgy, bottom-heavy sound most people associate with the Recto, either, more like the Iced Earth "Alive In Athens" tone - very bright and super crunchy. So, again, I'd recommend a Recto - preferrably a Triple.

Mike
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I never said the 5150 is not a capable amp. Arch Enemy is one of my faovrite bands and both guitarists use the 5150 head and get great tones from it. I did slam the XXL, not the 5150 (reread my inital post). My point was comparing these amps to the likes of a Diezel, Überschall, or VHT UL is insane. They sound like night and day. They sound nothing alike. If the 5150 or whatever other amp works for you so be it. People (kids mostly) that have played an amp like a Diezel, VHT, or Bogner for 5 minutes in a music store playing only 1 string downtuned chords then spouting off how superior their (insert any solid state amp name here) is to everything else are morons. If they have never owned these amps how can they honestly compare them; furthermore, their skewed opinions are simply untrue.

Comment

Hey Wizard of Ozz have you ever played thru an Engl powerball? Not too expensive yet gets really good tones.

Comment

Originally posted by P I K A:
        Hey Wizard of Ozz have you ever played thru an Engl powerball? Not too expensive yet gets really good tones.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yep. I tried them when they first came out, but not really my cup of tea. Of the Engls I like the Savage the best.

Comment

I think from this thread the 5150 really is the best bet, bands like meshuggah, inflames, arch enemy,others use them and get some F**king great tones.
          for the $400 used it would be hard to beat?

Comment

i'm telling you Roc Pro - under 200 used on ebay, and they sound way better than the 5150 noise factory. hey can i get some tone with that noise please? i'd rather have a peavey ultra.
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel:
              i'm telling you Roc Pro - under 200 used on ebay, and they sound way better than the 5150 noise factory. hey can i get some tone with that noise please? i'd rather have a peavey ultra.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> ???

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard of Ozz:
                Overall best would have to go to either the Bogner Überschall or VHT UL. I've played both Diezels (VH4 & Herbert) and the Über and UL smoked both of them.

Best on a budget... modified Marshall JCM800 2203.
                [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I own both a VHT UL and a Diezel Herbert and i must say the Herbert has alittle more juice and roar while the UL just has alittle more tightness . Were you playing the new version of the herbert or the old? , because i will agree the old one really lacks alot compared to the new one.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel:
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It's not hard to clean it up though. I have to hear a roc pro agin because the one I tried sucked so bad I felt sorry for the guy who bought it. Thats probably why they are going for $200. [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
                  I think the 5150 is a great choice if you like the In Flames Arch Enemy type sound. If you want similar to the Recto sound I would look into the XXX forsure. I just don't think the Roc Pro will get you anywhere near that. Just pay attention to what people listen to and like, then the ones whose tastes are similar to yours will be the best ones to listen to.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

I'd rip the dick off anyone here in Death metal with my Uber ...No Bullshit!

But a 5150 is the ONLY alternative , affordable "head" ...when brutality is concerened or needed..(besides $$VHT / $$$Diesel)...IMO

But it's got to be a 5150 Head W / 5150 cab and a BBE 422 in the loop ....That's it!

Not a 5150 thru a Marshall or Celestion cab ...and you have to throw a BBE 422 in the loop to wake the thing..

a Old 100 wt JCM 800 or JMP with a Korg Hyper distortion / Tube Screamer / Boss OD-1 or DS-1 ...couldn't be a bad thing as well....but good luck finding a real nice one..
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

• Re: Overall best ultra high gain shreddin amp for metal

Originally posted by horns666:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Let's hear.I checked out your website and all that's on it is a definition and a gear listing.

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by ColdVayne:
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I own both a VHT UL and a Diezel Herbert and i must say the Herbert has alittle more juice and roar while the UL just has alittle more tightness . Were you playing the new version of the herbert or the old? , because i will agree the old one really lacks alot compared to the new one. [/QUOTE]

I've played both the series 1.0 & 2.0 Herbert. The newer model does sound better (it sounds much smoother & less grainy and also with more mids added to the voicing). I actually like the VH4 better than both Herberts because it has more of a modified Marshall voicing (especially on chnl 3). I think the problem with the Herbert is that they are too hi-fi sounding (I think Peter may have actually went too far in overbuilding them). Also the Herbert really needs to be cranked to 5 or more to sound good (keeping in mind it's a 150W tube amp [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] ). The UL is definitely the tightest sounding high-gain tube amp on the market w/o a doubt, and for ultra-heavy modern tones, the Überschall will beat the Herbert anyday of the week IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard of Ozz:
                          </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by ColdVayne:
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I own both a VHT UL and a Diezel Herbert and i must say the Herbert has alittle more juice and roar while the UL just has alittle more tightness . Were you playing the new version of the herbert or the old? , because i will agree the old one really lacks alot compared to the new one. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I've played both the series 1.0 & 2.0 Herbert. The newer model does sound better (it sounds much smoother & less grainy and also with more mids added to the voicing). I actually like the VH4 better than both Herberts because it has more of a modified Marshall voicing (especially on chnl 3). I think the problem with the Herbert is that they are too hi-fi sounding (I think Peter may have actually went too far in overbuilding them). Also the Herbert really needs to be cranked to 5 or more to sound good (keeping in mind it's a 150W tube amp [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] ). The UL is definitely the tightest sounding high-gain tube amp on the market w/o a doubt, and for ultra-heavy modern tones, the Überschall will beat the Herbert anyday of the week IMHO. [/QUOTE]

My same thoughts exactly.Except I havent played the 2.0 Herbert I owned the 1.0 after the prototype.

Derek
                          Derek

Comment

A real man's amp. Period.
                            www.SeveredSavior.com

Comment

Originally posted by Gilbert:

A real man's amp. Period.
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/idea2.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by horns666:
                                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Incorrect.
                                www.SeveredSavior.com

Comment

Working...
                                X