My new amp!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new amp!!!

Ok, so I am sure all you guys know that I was looking for something to replace my Carvin Quad X/T100 racsk system. It was a long journey and after demo'ing pretty much everything on the planet I settled on a Flextone 2 HD with the long board. I wanted an HD147 but I couldn't justify the cost, nor could I afford it! Now, here is my review and thoughts about it.
    I paid $600.00 for the head, the long board and a really nice MXR noise gate was thrown in.
    I am using it run in true stereo with 2, 2 x 12 Randall cabinets loaded with Altec Lansing speakers. It doesn't have the punch of the all tube rack system but it certainly has great tone. For my needs as mainly a small club player and home recorder it is perfect. I don't foresee myself playing any arena dates in the near future! My buddy just bought a new Triple Recifier full stack. He also has a Dual Recto as a back up. He bought all the road cases for it too. I went over to his studio and asked him where and when he will ever need all that power. Heck, most of the clubs we have played in could never support that much amp. His drummer has a $5000.00 Neil Peart sized DW drum kit and I can't think of a place in the last 5 years that we have played at that had enough room for it. Again, I asked, what and where are you going to be able to use a drum kit that massive. He came over to my studio (I am in between bands currently) and I let him play my Flextone stereo set up. He loved it. I also have the option of only bringing 1 cabinet for small gigs and I will still get great sound. I guess what I am trying to say is that I know alot of players that gear up like they are going to play at the Garden or at the Meadowlands in front of 50,000 people when in actually they are playing in clubs that hold 500 people max. Most clubs around here are 300 and under. They snub the modeling amps with statements like: its not loud enough, there is nothing like tubes, it won't peel the paint off the walls etc.. when actually they are playing their full stack tube rigs on 3. Totally unsaturated and barely on. Hey, what ever blows your skirt up is cool with me but sometimes I just don't get the mentality of having a full stack Mesa or VHT in your bedroom or for the occassional small gig where you can't take advantage of tube saturation. Bottom line for me is that the Flextone 2 HD fits the bill.... for now!!!!

Re: My new amp!!!

Right on, bro! Tubes are overrated, anyway. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Congrats on the purchase. I, myself, am very glad that I sold my Engl Head and Bogner Cabinet to get a Vetta. That rig was so under utilized in my basement. The Line 6 stuff is so versatile at bedroom volumes and club volumes.

Comment

I hear you. I of course tried out the Vetta head and the combo. Whew... that is a very serious piece of equipment. If you can't get fantastic sound out of a Vetta 2 then you might need to look from within.. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

what's the difference between the douverb and the flextone? i tried a duoverb at GC about two months ago when they weere blowing them out cheap but it didn't have any modes i thought i could live with.
        1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

Hey that is great! Glad you found something that works for ya! Thanks for the Pickups too! They are perfect for what I needed them for.

Comment

My pleasure Chris. It looks like the deal fell through on the Carvin rack rig sale again. This is the 5th time!!! Now I have more amps than I do guitars!!! I guess I can live with that. Check out the MP3 I posted. I used #1873. The Jackson Tele I got from Ray. It is a quicky recording but I tried to tear it up as visciously as possible. It clips a little but "I meant to do that" [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by buzzsaww:
              what's the difference between the douverb and the flextone?
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I believe the Flextone has effects, the Duoverb doesn't. I think the Duoverb actually has less amp models featured in it, too.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable:
                They snub the modeling amps with statements like: its not loud enough, there is nothing like tubes, it won't peel the paint off the walls etc..
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The hit on the modeling amps is that the don't cut thru the mix. If fact if you look at Line6's current lineup you can see indirect evidence of that very thing. Look at the watts the new one puts out, 300 or so.

when actually they are playing their full stack tube rigs on 3. Totally unsaturated and barely on.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's VERY true but that's why they invented HotPlates. In just about any club all you really need is a 20 to 30 watt tube combo. Hell my 10 watt 12" speaker Fender (Champ 12) can just about keep up with a drummer. AI suspect if I added a speaker out and hooked into a 4x12 cab it would do just fine.

Comment

I agree but nobody uses hot plates or power soaks or variacs in reality land. Its nice to talk about them but the majority play their 100watt + all tube monsters on 3 with no tube saturation. I have noticed some modeling amps getting lost in the mix (I had a Flextone IIxl combo that would vanish in a loud live band setting) but certainly not the 300w Flextone HD or the HD147. Actually, the HD147 could possibly be the loudest amp I have ever heard. On 5 is was deafening. Even the sound proof room I was demo'ing it in couldn't contain the db's. The clean patches had more headroom than anything I have ever used.

Comment

Originally posted by Hotrodder:
                    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by jgcable:
                    They snub the modeling amps with statements like: its not loud enough, there is nothing like tubes, it won't peel the paint off the walls etc..
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The hit on the modeling amps is that the don't cut thru the mix. If fact if you look at Line6's current lineup you can see indirect evidence of that very thing. Look at the watts the new one puts out, 300 or so.

when actually they are playing their full stack tube rigs on 3. Totally unsaturated and barely on.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's VERY true but that's why they invented HotPlates. In just about any club all you really need is a 20 to 30 watt tube combo. Hell my 10 watt 12" speaker Fender (Champ 12) can just about keep up with a drummer. AI suspect if I added a speaker out and hooked into a 4x12 cab it would do just fine.
                    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I had much less trouble punching through a mix with my Vetta than with a mesa single recto head.

FYI, the 300 watts the new Line6 stuff is putting out (vetta II, HD147) is the SAME power section they under-rated at 200watts on the original vetta heads. I ran my Vetta at 1/2 power and have never had it at rehearsal or gigs past 10 o'clock. That's one cabinet. The Vettas will also run *4* cabs at once - two stereo, and two wide cabs. Hm, I have 2 4x12s and 2 2x12s... might be a fun experiment [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

I just started playing out in clubs again, and I use a 50 watt Marshall stack. I couldn't turn it up past 5, or it would have been to loud. I had it running on about 4 and fortunately it starts to sound good right around there.

Practice is a different story, the guys just play way to loud and the solid state amp that I had just sounded like crap at those levels.

One thing I don't understand is you guys talking about cutting through the mix. Isn't the sound guy suppossed to take care of that?

The other guitarist plays through a Mesa Quad 4 and a Marshall cab, and honest to god the sound guy was telling me that his tone is horrible, and he loved mine. It's the first time I played with them, and he always does their sound.

Is the problem with the Mesa or just that he doesn't know what he's doing. It sounded muddy and kinda midrangy and flat.
                      Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rick:
                        [QB] I just started playing out in clubs again, and I use a 50 watt Marshall stack. I couldn't turn it up past 5, or it would have been to loud. I had it running on about 4 and fortunately it starts to sound good right around there.

One thing I don't understand is you guys talking about cutting through the mix. Isn't the sound guy suppossed to take care of that?

Again, in "reality world" most of us don't have a sound guy boosting us and adjusting levels. Most of us do the set and hope for the best or the set and adjust on the fly thing. Regarding your Marshall on 4, that is precisely my point. I bet your Marshall sounds outstanding on 6 but then you would be way to loud. That is the beauty of a Flextone HD, a Vetta or the HD147. They sound great at any volume. I don't know why more pro's don't use them live because I am sure that most use modeling in the studio. It would be foolish not to take advantage of technology. Regarding a Mesa not cutting through, my opinion is that alot of Mesa players love to scoop the mids for that 80's tone and scooping certainly causes you to get lost in the mix. The nice thing about a Vetta or a HD147 is that you can pick a scooped amp model but then blend it with an in your face Soldano.

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps:
                          I had much less trouble punching through a mix with my Vetta than with a mesa single recto head.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I had the same scenario as you Pete, and I couldn't agree more. I 'upgraded' my solo rectifier to the Line 6 Flextone II HD, and it was the best move I ever made.

JG : Congrats, bro! You now have one of the finest amps ever made! Hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine. I've been gigging with it for about three years without one complaint. Awesome.

Comment

Thanks alot Brian. I am looking forward to tearing up some clubs soon with my new rig. I am now rewiring my 4 x 12 cabinets to get the maximum wattage out of the HD. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

What a difference rewiring my cabinets made. I think that is the sole reason that some players claim the Flextone HD can't cut through the mix. I wired my 2 1/2 stacks in true stereo (2x 8 ohm jacks per cabinet) and I run the 4 cables back to the Flextone HD. My speakers are 4 ohm speakers so I wired each pair in each bainet in series going to 1 jack per pair. It is set for true stereo 150w per side too. Forget about it. It is all the power any mortal could ever hope to need under any circumstance. What a great amp.

Comment

Working...
                              X