Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My new amp!!!

What the? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Did I mention 5150's or "most" Marshalls?

recorded version of a real amp? I said "recorded versions of guitar sounds "

SHEESH. Take a pill. I said they tend to hold their value better. Check the price of used XTC's, used SLO's, check the price of a used clean JCM800. Flextone HD's were $1000 new and just $600 a year later.

Now I will quote myself accurately, "Just something to think about for some of you."

Comment

What exactly is a recorded version of a guitar sound? Modeling amps model amps... not guitars.
      The Soldano SLO100 sells new for around $2300.00 right? Used they sell for around $1400. That sounds like depreciation to me. Oh yea.. I am relaxed. Geez.. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal:
        Tubes are overated??

Ugh... Silly digital guys... Maybe when the sampling rate gets to 96 it will sound better, but I can't take them now. They have their good points. But, there is a special things about tuibes they'll never quite nail. If you don't hear it, that just because YOU don't hear it, haha...

I don't need to saturate my power tubes. That's too unpredictable for me. I get my sound from my (tube) preamp and for some reason still require a tube power amps as I've used SS ones, and they don't sound as pleasing.

Basically, DSP does a whole lotta things "OK", and are flexible. My amp does a couple things so stellar, it's worth it.

They definitely don't project the same way a high quality tube unit does in a club. EVEN Michael Romeo admits that. He gets his Vettas for free, and THAT is the reason he uses them on tour. He doesn't record with them just yet. Althouhg IMO they would probably do best in that capacity.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I couldn't have said it better myself.

I prefer 50 watts of tubes right now and probably alway will.

Nick

Comment

I'm getting a POD 2.0 for Christmas. I've had my Marshall JCM 800 for 10 years now and I don't have immediate plans for parting with it. Let me say, though, that the Line 6 "Modern Hi-Gain" setting IS my sound. It's very close to how the Marshall sounds with the Metal Zone and GE-7 tweaked. The difference, however, is that I can dial this tone in right away with a POD or Flextone, as opposed to tweaking knobs and hoping the amp is having a "good tube day." If I had to play a gig today, it would be the Marshall, but the convenience of the POD is hard to beat.
          Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Originally posted by Rick:

One thing I don't understand is you guys talking about cutting through the mix. Isn't the sound guy suppossed to take care of that?

Cutting through the mix is about having a good amp with the right frequencies cutting through for your particular band setting. The sound guy can only do so much..he's got a bass mids and treble knob along with a channel volume...if a guitarist sucked out all the frequencies that cut through (mids usually) to begin with then the sound guy can't do a whole lot.

The other guitarist plays through a Mesa Quad 4 and a Marshall cab, and honest to god the sound guy was telling me that his tone is horrible, and he loved mine. It's the first time I played with them, and he always does their sound.

Is the problem with the Mesa or just that he doesn't know what he's doing. It sounded muddy and kinda midrangy and flat.

Yeah, your other guy doesn't cut through at all. It could be a combination of things but I'd be willing to bet the way the Mesa is voiced just ain't right for your band. Mesa are good amps no doubt but they dont' cut through as good as a Marshall in my experience. It could be the way he has it dialed in too...if he's got it EQ'd screwy that would kill it too...but when I heard you guys live it sounded more like a setup problem. Could be the power amp mushing out too.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Comment

His Vetta's sound amazing live. I have compared a full stack HD147 and the full stack Vetta 2 to a full stack 1st gen Mesa Dual and a brand new Mesa Triple and I agree 100% that the Mesa is louder and has much more definition. It pushes much more air than the modeling amp. I also will say that the HD147 and the Vetta 2 were:
              1. more versatile
              2. sounded better at most club volumes
              3. recorded much better
              Since I don't know most of you guys personally I can't comment on how large the clubs you play are. I can only base my opinion on where I play. The large clubs hold 500. Most of the clubs I play hold 250 or less. If you guys are playing major arena's than I guess you can take your super powerful tube amps and crank them. My guess though is that most of you guys play in clubs the size that I play which only require a 1/2 stack tops and unfortunately cranking the amp is not an option if you want a good mix. Modeling is the answer for me. It does piss me off though having a heated debate regarding volume and presence with players who have a full stack that never leaves their bedroom though. I am not insinuating that any of you do but I have had lengthy debates in the past with full stack hacker bedroom jammers who want want to argue the point that their Uber or Soldano or 5150 full stacks are the only way to go and modeling doesn't cut it in a live situation. It is like debating which car is faster and handles better with a guy who doesn't drive. Ponderous... fuggin ponderous. [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

I won't go into the debate about which is better tubes or S.S. cause I haven't played enough SS amps at gig levels to know what they really sound like. My Brother just got a Randall RH 100 and to be honest I thought the thing sounded amazing for a 310.00 head,But that said, the one thing for me at least is that SS amps don't react to the way I play like a tube amp does.

I don't know if that makes sense or not and it may just be some mental thing with me [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] , but something just feels different to me going from one to the other.
                Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

Your right Rick. Tube amps react differently to your playing than SS. Tube amps are also more reactive to volume and tone changes that are made from the guitar. I am not a volume roller. Actually, after all these years, I can honestly say that I only use my volume on my guitars as an on/off switch. They are either set on 0 or on 10. SS modeling is the answer for me but I agree it is not the absolute answer for everybody.

Comment

Working...
                  X