No announcement yet.

Marshall info needed: ID, Mods, Value..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall info needed: ID, Mods, Value..

No pics, atm...so if someone would like to apply their Jedi powers to this one...My bud (the owner)is a bassist (so he is clueless).. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Marked as 'JMP MkII Super Lead 100w'.
    Inside QC tag reads '1978'.
    Front panel looks unmodded - 4 inputs (jumpable)

Rear panel has some unlabeled mods;
    -2 marked speaker jacks (all the pics I could find of others had only one jack)
    -To the left of the speakers there is another jack flanked on either side by a knob. The one on the left seems to be a 'presence'. Could the other be a Direct out?

EDIT: This thing is LOUD! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] I'm having a blast playing all my fav '80 tunes, [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ November 21, 2003, 10:45 PM: Message edited by: nor ]
    750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
    Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Re: Marshall info needed: ID, Mods, Value..

Hey Nor -

I had a JMP 50 watt from '78. Was a cool amp - not a ton of gain, but not bad. If your amp has much more gain than a stock JCM800 head, then it's been modded. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Here's the problem - amp mods can seriously devalue an amp UNLESS it's done by a 'famous' mod guy. Jose Arredondo, who allegedly did VH's amp, is worth a lot more than say Joe Blow from down the street. Or Bob Bradshaw, or Doug Roccaforte, or Trace from Voodoo Amps, etc...

I'm guessing here... but I'd say a JMP 100 watt head in great shape would be worth $700ish, with unknown mods no matter how good it sounds, probably $500ish. Again, I'm guessing.

Pete

Comment

I would take it and send it to Mark Cameron. I am sending him a Marshall next week. His mods are amazing. He has done amps for John Norum and Doug Aldrich. Very nice guy too. I have his number if you are interested in getting it modded.

Comment

Back in the day, my friend sent his amp 70s MkII to Arrendondo. It took the guy like 18 months to get it back and cost a lot. He got it and hated it. Had a local guy pull the mod and do something else that he liked. Pretty funny stuff.

Comment

Thanx, blokes. My bud's prolly gonna sell it - I'm just trying to help him value it.

Hell...I'd buy it if I had some coin. Playing 'Hell Bent for Leather' or 'Sinner' on this thing is like a time warp...

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
          750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
          Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Mark's mod is not the Jose mod. He does great work.

Comment

The hole in the back with the knob could be a slave out or an effects loop. I would say 400-700 tops.Take a pic of the back I would have a better idea then.
              www.kiddhavok.com
              www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal:
                Back in the day, my friend sent his amp 70s MkII to Arrendondo. It took the guy like 18 months to get it back and cost a lot. He got it and hated it. Had a local guy pull the mod and do something else that he liked. Pretty funny stuff.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I've heard Jose's stuff sounded like Dog or God, with not much in between. They still pull decent money just because EVH allegedly used him. Then again, EVH also said later that his amps were stock...

Another mod-meister is Splawn. For those with a DIY bent, Ken Fischer (Trainwreck Amps) explains all sorts of marshall mods in Gerald Weber's Hip Tube Amps book. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

The hole in the back with the knob could be a slave out or an effects loop
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I don't know if you're allowed to say "that word" anymore. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Try this: "The hole in the back with the knob could be a 'freedomly challenged' out or an effects loop." [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Mark does Arredondo mod.If you ask him , he will do it.
                    He can duplicate Arredondo's mod amps.Of course doesn't mean it is better or not.
                    I 've known him from early 90's when he was working with John and I have been to Jon's apartment couple of times too.I bought 2 guitars from him.
                    I've had many Marshall heads modded by him more than 10years ago done in his apartment(what a messy place it was [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] ).

If you like Doug Aldrich sound or John Sykes type sound WITHOUT adding extra pretube,Mark is the one.
                    And the price is VERY reasonable compares to Bogner or CAE or many others.He usd to charge like $100 for full mod(no effect loops here, he was unable to add effect loop at the time).

He adds Depth knob which I think he learned it from VHT amps when he used to work at VHT around 90-91.

What I know is, you have 78' 100watt Matshall Head. Mark does the best mod for that era.
                    He always told me that.He never liked JCM or older 4inputs Marshall.
                    Even his main amp atthe time was from late 80's and sounded the BEST.

About Jose Arredondo, I do own a Marshall JMP 100watt from late 70's and it sounds GREAT! but Mark's amp would KILL it.

[img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by dinkyjacksonman:

What I know is, you have 78' 100watt Matshall Head. Mark does the best mod for that era.
                      He always told me that.He never liked JCM or older 4inputs Marshall.
                      Even his main amp atthe time was from late 80's and sounded the BEST.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I meanfrom late 70's Amp was his main amp and he always prefered.

Comment

[QUOTE]
                        I've had many Marshall heads modded by him more than 10years ago done in his apartment(what a messy place it was

Still is. I just picked up my 1977 JMP from him last night.

[QOUTE] If you like Doug Aldrich sound or John Sykes type sound WITHOUT adding extra pretube,Mark is the one.
                        And the price is VERY reasonable compares to Bogner or CAE or many others.He usd to charge like $100 for full mod(no effect loops here, he was unable to add effect loop at the time).

He does a great effect loop now for $100. The rest of his mods are $400 but well worth it. As you said, Mark is the man. His amps KILL. Doug and John are proof. Mark has worked at both VHT and Bogner. He has all the credentials.

Comment

A modded MKII 100 watt super lead is worth about 700 tops in excellent condition. if its a little beat up about 500-600 if its in real bad condition but works and sounds good about 400-500
                          The knobs on the back could ba a master volume and a presance. It could also be a parallel fx loop and a presance control.
                          Gil

Comment

Originally posted by Tenacity:
                            Mark has worked at both VHT and Bogner. He has all the credentials.
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I didn't know he worked at Bogner.I know he worked at Fulltone pedal.He used to live at Mike's house/Fulltone facility about 8years or so before moved to Orange County, then to Glendale now, correct?
                            Please Say hi to him from Toru. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Yes, Mark worked at Bogner until mid-October. I forgot he worked at Fulltone also. You're right. I'll pass your message on to him when I talk to him later this week.

Comment

Working...
                              X