Recommend a pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend a pickup

I need something to replace the TB-6 in my Soloist. I like the output and the fatness, but I need something with more bite right now. I like the sound of a Duncan '59, but I want more output. The closest I have is a Jackson J-95, but that's far too much high end for my taste.

Mmm... J-95 output and '59 tone... [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Lawrences will not work. I tried one, it blew (not enough low end). Any other recommendations?

Re: Recommend a pickup

You are gonna laugh at me, but have you tried Carvin pups?

I used to have a set in my Paul after I yanked out the PAF's.

They sounded great, were high output, and now you can get them pretty cheap on the bay.

Also, what about putting the EMG actives in dat puppy [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Have you tried a Dimarzio Super D ? I tried one as a last resort after going through every Duncan and Dimarzio, Tone Zones, screamin Demons, Custom Customs and on and on.

I finally popped this in and it was screamin! It's got great low end, but not muddy or boomy. It just plain wails in my Sl-2.
      Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

How about the Duncan Custom? It's a ceramic magnet PU. It has slightly less output than a Distortion but still a lot more than the 59.
        It has lots of clarity, it's sligthly scooped but all in all tonally very well ballanced. Actually my favorite Duncan. I don't see any lack of bite or bass there.

Comment

Carvins! I haven't tried them, but I've heard nothing but good about them around here. I'll check eBay for them. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I have considered Super Distortions, yeah. I have a couple of DiMarzios that I pulled out of a Les Paul copy that sounded killer, I think they're basically SD's, but they won't fit the damn SL3's cavity. I have to do some surgery on the tabs, but they'll get a chance later today probably.

Duncan Custom... I'll have to go check out the sound clips from Duncan's site again. I don't remember what that one sounded like.

Comment

Carvin, the M22 series. The C22 series don't have that much gain (they're more of a classic sound) and may be too bright in the Soloist. Or a DiMarzio Norton might be something to look into.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Mariah:
              I need something to replace the TB-6 in my Soloist. I like the output and the fatness, but I need something with more bite right now. I like the sound of a Duncan '59, but I want more output. The closest I have is a Jackson J-95, but that's far too much high end for my taste.

Mmm... J-95 output and '59 tone... [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Lawrences will not work. I tried one, it blew (not enough low end). Any other recommendations?
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">you are describing this,

The SH-14 Custom 5 pickup was developed by an eager group of contributors to our web user group who replaced the ceramic or Alnico 2 magnet in an SH-5 Custom or SH-11 Custom Custom with an Alnico 5. Tonally, the Custom 5 is a compromise between these two pickups. It offers the optimum balance of warmth, punch, power and clarity.
              Compared to the SH-5 and SH-11, the tone is more vintage, with less distortion, but it’s still very strong and powerful. It’s fuller than an SH-5 with softer highs, more bass, and slightly less output. It’s got a great rhythm sound and a beautiful, deep singing lead tone. Clean sounds are rich and full with enhanced presence. Think of the Custom 5 as a higher output SH-1 ’59 with a deeper bottom end and expanded output.
              The Custom 5 comes in black, white or zebra (black and cream), as well as the following colors at no extra charge -- red, red & black, pink, green, light blue, dark blue & yellow. Four-conductor cable, with traditional or Trembucker spacing.

Custom 5 Tech Specs

D.C resistance 14.4K ohms
              Resonant Frequency 5.4KHz.
              E.Q. 6/3/8 Low/Mid/High

Comment

I recommend the Duncan Custom as well. I had a JB in my Rhoads (maple neck thru, with poplar body wings) and the JB sounded really weak and midrangey...ok for an early 80s tone, but not quite what I was after. I had Sully put the Custom in there and it was exactly what I was looking for...mean sounding, chunky, not too high gain, with a nice lead tone as well. I couldn't be happier with it!

Comment

Something I need to mention is that this Soloist is... special. AFAIK it's made of alder but it sounds closer to mahogany. People tell me how bright the Duncan Distortion is, but in this thing it's a low end monster. I put a J95 in it the other day and while it was still too bright, it wasn't anywhere near as bright as it was in my Model 1.

The Custom 5 might be what I'm looking for. Sully's getting one in sometime soon so I'll hit him up for tone opinions since SD's site doesn't have any clips of the Custom 5.

Comment

Custom Custom.

Comment

Custom Custom
                      or
                      Air Norton

I am a huge fan of Carvin pickups. The M22, M22sd, or the C22 would be a great choice and they sound outstanding coil tapped but the multipole design doesn't look the greatest mixed with non-Carvin pickups.
                      Here is a stretch.. how about a SD Pearly Gates?? I think it is an underrated pickup.

Comment

I loved the Pearly Gates on one of my old Hamer Cali's, wouldn't mind trying that again sometime...hmm hehe. But they're "vintage" relatively low output pickups. Might do the trick for ya with a clean boost in the mix. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Nobody mentions it much, but what about the SD Screamin' Demon? I had one of the ESP Lynch guitars with that PU in there, and thought it was pretty decent. I'm a complete EMG-81 whore, so anything else "decent" I try sticks in my mind. As I remember, it was a PU somewhere in the middle...good output, decent highs and lows, but not overpowering on either, in the ESP, anyway. I'm not a fan of Jackson's standard JB choice at all myself--can't stand those pickups--the Demon in that guitar was a much better "middle of the road" kinda pickup, to me.

Stu

Comment

Originally posted by StuTDavis:
                          Nobody mentions it much, but what about the SD Screamin' Demon?
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Very underrated pickup IMO. I don't have a guitar with one now but I used to have one of the first single hum Kramers back in the day. Somewhere along the way I stuck a Screamin' Demon in it and that really was a badass sounding guitar.

I really like JB's for a lot of things. It's probably not a good pickup for triple rectified nu metal but that's not what I play.
                          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

adder plus corperation

www.adderplus.com

persuader lead pickup.
                            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
                            X