Ohm question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohm question

My amp is a Mesa F-30 1x12 combo. The speaker is an 8 ohm Celestion Vintage 30. There's three speaker outs on the back... the one for the combo is, of course, 8 ohm, the two extras are both 4 ohm. Underneath the 4 ohm outputs, it says use with two 8-ohm speakers. I assume that would be if I'm using a 2x12 extension cab. My question is: What if I want to hook up an extension cabinet, like a 1x12 or even a 4x12, what ohm speakers should the cabinets have? I'm confused. [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img]
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Re: Ohm question

what I believe it means is that it should take two 8 ohm cabs....one for/on each side of the two 'out' jacks making the resistance 4 ohms total.

It doesn't matter if your hooking up a 1x12 or a 4x12, as long as the total impedence of each cab is wired for 8 ohms to the female jack of that cab.

It would be unusual to have a 4 ohm cab per out jack, as most guitar amps do not run at 2 ohms impedence..bass amps yes, guitar amps, no... so I'm betting 8 per side.

You may have to unplug the internal speaker if running the two external as well. Best to check with Mesa on that, but that is how it sounds.

Comment

Sounds correct [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks. So if I get an 8 ohm 1x12 cab and hook it up to one of the outputs, I'll be okay and won't have to disconnect the combo's internal speaker then, but I probably would have to disconnect it if I had two external cabs hooked up?

Comment

yes, that is how it sounds.
          Your output transformer should have wire taps for 8 and 4 ohms. It sounds like Mesa has split the 8 ohm tap or has a circut to switch when you plug in a jack.

So if you run one 1x12 8 ohm extension cab.. I would leave the 8 ohm internal speaker plugged in.

If you run two external 8 ohm cabs, you unplug the internal 8ohm speaker.

Comment

Thank you, sir! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] It's starting to make sense now. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

if you hook up another 8 ohm speaker cab to you combo which has an existing 8 ohm speaker, you would need to put both combo and ext. cab into the 4 ohm outs.

when using 2 cab you cut the impedence in half.

since all mesa cabs are pretty much 8 ohms, they give you one 8 and two 4's. so you either use one cab in the 8 or 2 cabs in the 4's.

pretty simple.

if you want confermation give boogie a call they will tell you the same thing.

www.mesaboogie.com
              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Ah, I got it now. Thanks, man! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                X