TUBE HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TUBE HELP

How do you guys think the new chinese 12ax7a would sound in a mesa triaxis?OR are the electro harmonics or sovtek lps a better choice for it.

Re: TUBE HELP

I'm not a Sovtech fan, but the LPS tubes are a bright, if not shrill tube, and the darker sounding triaxis may benefit from them. However they are often microphonic in high gain situations. I'm actually using a Sovtech ( I forget which) in my CAE in the lead channel wuith great results. That tube also gets good reviews, unlike the other WX and WB Sovtechs.

The Chinese are usually a good bet, but are somewhat iffy in quality at times. I get good and bad ones... The good ones are great and the bad ones are well, bad. They are usually fairly quiet, but some seem to get weird and dull sounding after a while. I have a love hate relationship with them.

I haven't used the EH units personally. I've heard some good things about them.

I will say, each preamp will generally react a bit differently to different tubes, some more than others. I personally use several different Old stock tubes in different positions in my CAE3+se. I love my old RCA 7025s (thanks Soloist1!) and Jan GE 5751s, along with some other oddballs.

Maybe read through this thread on my site with some great posts from Soloist1 and Spiderman for some food for thought.

http://pub154.ezboard.com/ftheclevel...opicID=5.topic

Comment

Hey Cleve,Thanks for the info.I checked out your site some greeat info,but does not pertane to mesa gear.I am really stuck between the new chinese tubes and the Electro harmonics.I wish I could find someone who has used them in a triaxis.Paul

Comment

The Chinese 12AX7's are great tubes. They are building some nice stuff now. The EH is a nice tube too.
        Jerry
        FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

Working...
        X