Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heil box through amp?

hi there!
    once again got a question I'd like to bug you with... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I really dig the heil-talkbox effect you can hear in many pink floyd or bon jovi songs and I wonder if there is a way to run it straight through your guitar-amp?
    I know it's set up with a mice and the PA usually, but I'd not like to get myself another PA for home use or buy an effect I use only twice a week in rehearsals...

is there any way to make it sound any good just thru my amp?
    could I run my amplified mice signal into the FX-loops in-jack?
    would that work?

any help apreciated... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    thank you///micha
    tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Re: heil box through amp?

It goes in between your amp and your speaker cabinet. You don't need a PA unless you are going to use a mic with it. A mic or PA is not necessary.

Comment

JG?? You OK? The sound from the driver thats being driven by the amp comes out of a tube thats in your mouth, so yeah, you need a microphone and a PA to hear it.

Micha, plugging a mic into the effects return will not work. That will shut off the preamp. You need a small PA.

Comment

Originally posted by micha:
        amplified mice
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Great name for a band! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

you need a separate pa for the heil one

have a look at the dano free speach, it uses a mic on it to pick up the signal from your moth and put it back into you signal chain (and therefore amp) so no need for anything more than guitar and amp

David

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckracer:
            JG?? You OK? The sound from the driver thats being driven by the amp comes out of a tube thats in your mouth, so yeah, you need a microphone and a PA to hear it.

Micha, plugging a mic into the effects return will not work. That will shut off the preamp. You need a small PA.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I had one a long time ago and I could have sworn that it just went in between that amp head and the speaker cabinet. By "mouthing" the tube it opened and closed a valve that changed the pitch in the signal going to the speaker cab. Your answer explains why the volume was very low when I activated the talk box. If I had put a mic at the opening of the tube it would have amplified the sound. Thanks Chuck [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] It's old age, bro. I'll be leaning on you soon enough for the same reasons I'm sure!
              The guitar amp drives a driver, just like you'll find on a PA horn. A tube is connected to the driver in place of a horn and the sound comes out the tube all distorted like into your mouth. Your mouth is now the "cabinet" and you can change the sound by changing the volume and shape of your mouth. You don't actually speak or make a sound. The microphone picks up what is coming out of your mouth. It's a really simple thing thats fun as hell to play with.

Comment

mmmhhh..... that sounds worse a try....
                got a little 30 watter around here... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

well, I don't have a heilbox yet anyway, but it seemes more attractive to get now.

thx!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

mmhhh.... that's just what I've thought... [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

well, seems like I gotta take it the way it is.
                  it sounds like real fun and I like it quite a lot... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

@chuck; would the effect be the same with a parallel FX-loop? I could mix the signal from the mic (that's right now?) with the original from the preamp?!
                  still doesn't sound like a good idea, but maybe someone else tried it already...

thanks for posting doods!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Hmm....that may work, but it would be far from ideal.
                    I would run the mic into a small guitar practice amp, see if that works. I know this is just for practice, but that would be a better way to go.

Comment

Working...
                    X