Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

grabbed a 5150 half stack,should i get the BBE for the loop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grabbed a 5150 half stack,should i get the BBE for the loop?

If you're happy with your tone right now then dont get the BBE, however if you think its lacking punch and clarity then get the BBE. The BBE makes your tone a lot crisper and clearer, once you get used to it and then take it off everything sounds flat and dull.

I dont use one with my new amp and everything sounds good to me so I'm not plan'n on get'n another one.

Re: grabbed a 5150 half stack,should i get the BBE for the loop?

Yes, add the bbe. I got the cheap 264 R and it was the best $40 I ever spent. You can clean up the high end sizzle while adding a low end chunk. You will not be disappointed!
    No honey, I have always had this Jackson....

Comment

Dude I just got a G major myself for my Uberschall and it's the bomb!!!!

A BBE 422 or 422a is a MUST for a 5150 ...that simple!!!

I had many a 5150 and used that BBE in every one of them ...the 5150 loves it!!!

My uber hates it ....the BBE sounds like a dirty ass in the Uber .. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

grabbed a 5150 half stack,should i get the BBE for the loop?

I already have a g-major(the newer one with a 3 band para EQ) that sounds great in the loop,but should a get a BBE sonic max too?
        i hear these things make a 5150 even better? what does it do to the tone?

Comment

all things sound good about gettin a BBE 422 especially this "you can clean up the high end sizzle while adding a low end chunk". I will get one immediately now! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

I know this is a really old thread, but I took the advise here and got a BBE Stinger pedal to use in the loop of my 5150 II... and WOW! Huge difference. Like "Horns666" said, the 5150 loves the BBE.

Sounds like a totally different animal. I love it.

Now I plan to put an MXR Smart Gate in there to tame it a little, and perhaps some Chorus or Delay for some depth.

Any advise on the "depth" tip? I was thinking either Boss Delay or Chorus, or TC SCF.

Thanks!

Adolfo

Comment

What exactly does a BBE do? I have a 5150 and am thinking of getting a 5150 II...

Comment

Hey MeWise!
                You're on the Kramer Board too right?

The BBE Maximizer brings out clarity, definition, and low end as well. Check out www.bbesound.com for more info. It's difficult to describe what a bbe does. You just have to hear it. To give you an idea, it's similar to what a "loudness" button will do on a stereo.

I enjoy my 5150 II as is, but the BBE really brings it to life. I don't think I'll ever play without it again.

Comment

Of all the amps I have owned and tried BBEs through them, I'd say the 5150 is the amp I really feel makes the most, or does the best with a BBE. The only one I'd use would be a 422/422A for it. Hard to find, but usually around 50-70 bucks US. For that price, you just have to check it out. Don't bother with the 362s etc, I have, and the 422 are the best sounding for guitar. The newers ones are just too boomy and sizzley to my ears, even when dialed to a subtle setting, which is really the way you have to use an effect like the BBEs, always use them in a very subtle fashion. Less is best.

The 5150, although the coolest amp around for brutal chug in a box, is just a little bit lifeless and the BBE truly wakes up something in it IMO.

Honestly, I really dislike BBEs at this point in my life. But, if I owned 5150, I'd assuredly have my BBE 422A in the loop.

Comment

How about the BBE 411. I have an old one my brother gave me. Are these any good?

Comment

I actually have one of those too. It is the only other BBE of all the ones I have owned that I have kept other than the 422A. I just liked it cuz it was probably the first BBE made, and it is uniquely different from the rest of that product line. It seems to do best as and was basically designed as a preamp for some reason, and works better in the front end as opposed to being in the loop. It has more distortion and less fidelity than the later models I think. Still, a cool piece to have around. It has its uses, but I do prefer the 422A for the effect intended.

I had heard dave mustaine used them for a preamp as well, if he did, I see why. But, it isn't all that in comparision to the 422. I don;t imagine that I'll be selling mine soon really.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Cleveland. Much appreciated [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] I will give it a try...

Comment

Thanks Dolf and Cleveland! My 5150's distortion is just too fuzzy/fizzy, almost like it has a Fuzz Face in line...

Comment

Originally posted by randyvanmalmsteen:
                            I already have a g-major(the newer one with a 3 band para EQ) that sounds great in the loop,but should a get a BBE sonic max too?
                            i hear these things make a 5150 even better? what does it do to the tone?
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">BBE's are tonesuckers!!! stay away from them!!!

Leon..

Comment

I'd TOTALLY with the tome sucking statement. With just about any other amp I hate them. I do own a couple for posterity a 422A and a 411, or is it a 401? I can't remember right now. I never use them anymore except to plug them in, re-affirm my dislike and unplug them, haha...

However, they seem to really do something good to a 5150. I don't know why, but they really sound good with that amp. And that is the only amp that I've found that I like them on too.

Comment

Working...
                              X